TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,331  
I'm personally a fan of the through the shoulder. I know you loose some meat; but they can't run far without a front shoulder, and you get vitals too.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,332  
I'm personally a fan of the through the shoulder. I know you loose some meat; but they can't run far without a front shoulder, and you get vitals too.
I shoot a .260Rem with 120gr Barnes TTSX. I think it's the most perfect deer round ever and I'm a huge fan of Barnes, for minimizing blood shot meat. If I can get it, I'll hit broad side just behind the shoulder for a double lung shot. They'll jump and run 30 yards, but Ray Charles could follow the blood trail.

Money shot for paid hunts in Africa and elsewhere, shoulder shot for sure.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,333  
I’ve got a big family and we primarily eat wild meat so headshots are preferred for us. But the most ethical shot and the one you are 100% sure you can make are the ones we take so range/equipment/skill/gut feeling all play a role in shot selection or pass altogethe.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,335  
This afternoon, 12 y/o daughter was outside messing around when I walked down to the deer blind. So, I grabbed the 308 and the Henry 22LR lever (loaded with 22 shorts) and asked if she wanted to come. Been a crap deer season, only seen a couple, and passed one, a small, barely legal buck earlier. Anyways, for the inside/domesticated kid, she said sure. Well, no deer, but we did pop a gray squirrel before dark.

The oldest and youngest are into hunting, but the 12 y/o seemed to have missed the gene, but she enjoyed it, even if she didn't want to take the shot.

A 22LR bolt/level/single shot, with shorts or CCI quiet is a pretty non-offensive way to get kids going, without spooking them.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,336  
I have my 17yo daughter with me at deer camp. She got a very impressive 10pt with her Tikka T3x stainless laminate .260Rem.

I started my girls on a Henry Mini-bolt. It was a nice safe rifle for them to shoot. You had to work the bolt to chamber a round, pull the cocker back and then release the safety. I could choose between tame or hot loads. It's a good shooting little rifle too. Interesting story, when I first bought it, I took it to a range near me and first shot it at the 25 yard range. Sitting next to me at the bench, I met "Bird", one of our epic forum members (not sure if he's still with us).

The Mini-bolt also works really good for dispatching things, like injured goats, trapped pigs etc. For the pigs, I just stick the barrel in the pen, pigs being curious, eventually calm down and come over to sniff the end of the barrel. When they do, gently raise it and pop them between the eyes. It's about as humane as you can make it.

I've heard that many trappers carry one in their pack, because they're so light and handy for dispatching things.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,337  
I finished 2023 with 58 pigs. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the last 2, to hit an even 60.

However, I started 2024 with a big old battle-scarred boar that's painted like a panda. Look at the scars around his head and ears. I flushed him out of a brush covered creek bank and downed him with a single .308 round.
Panda Pig 1.jpg

Panda Pig 2.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,338  
I finished 2023 with 58 pigs. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the last 2, to hit an even 60.

However, I started 2024 with a big old battle-scarred boar that's painted like a panda. Look at the scars around his head and ears. I flushed him out of a brush covered creek bank and downed him with a single .308 round.
View attachment 841944
View attachment 841945

I read... They are coming down into the northern states from Canada now.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,339  
I read... They are coming down into the northern states from Canada now.
I think they're capable of living anywhere, depending on what they might be crossed with. They have Russian Boar's, so obviously there are some species that are capable of living in very cold climates.

The one I posted is obviously some type of Hampshire strain with the white band and the upright ears.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,340  
Happy New Year everyone!!

So I saw a deal last week and couldn’t pass it up . 10mm Hi Point JPX . I was able to get out and run 20 rounds through it . Not bad the pistol is very heavy but the weight negates the recoil quite well. For the money you can’t go wrong . It cycles Hollow Points perfectly . It should be a good Bear gun while Bow Hunting Elk in Idaho.

Attachments

• IMG_5102.jpeg
    IMG_5102.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5101.jpeg
    IMG_5101.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 42