TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,941  
I have a whole case of 20ga. shells like this. Why did they split, and do I just dispose of them?
Thanks!
20220727_175603.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,942  
I have a whole case of 20ga. shells like this. Why did they split, and do I just dispose of them?
Thanks!View attachment 756148
Did the box get dropped? That’s very odd damage. Since it looks like the cup also got damaged it’s probably not the best idea to fire them if they’d even feed into a chamber.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,943  
If they are new, take them back for a refund/replace.

If store will not work with you, send email with picture to Federal.

If they are factory and you cannot return them (and be very sure they are), they should be safe to fire if you can chamber them.

If they are reloads, I would not use them.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,944  
Did the box get dropped? That’s very odd damage. Since it looks like the cup also got damaged it’s probably not the best idea to fire them if they’d even feed into a chamber.
No it didn't get dropped. I will add, maybe help solve the mystery, they may be as much as 40 years old and in an area where temperature could have reached 100°F, but never below 60°F. Every shell is split exactly like that.
I could contact Federal, maybe they know.
(Maybe if I whine they'd replace them).

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,945  
If they are new, take them back for a refund/replace.

If they are factory and you cannot return them (and be very sure they are), they should be safe to fire if you can chamber them.

If they are reloads, I would not use them.
They're not reloads. I'd have to use a hammer to chamber them. Would that work?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,946  
No it didn't get dropped. I will add, maybe help solve the mystery, they may be as much as 40 years old and in an area where temperature could have reached 100°F, but never below 60°F. Every shell is split exactly like that.
(Maybe if I whine they'd replace them).
Maybe there was a good enough seal that expanding air did it, but I can’t imagine getting lucky enough to split every one of them. That’s pretty unique.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,948  
I would not shoot those, Fuddy. Shotshells are sketchy enough when in good shape. Those? ... are probably a trip to the ER just waiting to happen.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,949  
(Maybe if I whine they'd replace them
emoji38.png
emoji1787.png
).

I think that you may have solved your own problem.

" they may be as much as 40 years old and in an area where temperature could have reached 100°F, but never below 60°F."

As we all know, plastic is a petrochemical product. If the shells were not "stored in a cool, dry place", the heat alone may have done the damage. Notice the 'crack' appears along one of the 'extrude' lines, a weak point. When shells are loaded and crimped, there is some tension. The aging plastic is weakened and has failed along a 'fault line'.

Besides the plastic, the powder does not like the heat. Your powder charge may not be at all now what it once was.

While you may try and contact Federal, if they are provided the 'Lot Number', which they are sure to ask for, they too will determine age and most probably refuse to replace, just due to age.

Regardless, I would not attempt to fire.

If you do any reloading, you might attempt to recover the shot

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,950  
I would not shoot those.

More trouble than they're worth to try and reclaim the components (in my opinion), unless you're having problems finding 20ga wads.