Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #411  
Years ago when I was working in 4 states, I always made an effort to buy gas in each one. It wasn't always on the same trip, but over the course of the year I tried to make it average out based on distance travelled in each one.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #412  
But those hybrids still use the roads...that are maintained by fuel taxes...and, with Hybrids and EV's...must determine how you pay your fair share

They were trying to start to tax vehicles that didn't pay fuel tax. They assumed that "hybrids" were plugging- in and pulling some of their energy from an electrical source.

A regen-braking hybrid Ford SUV that gets 30 mpg but runs entirely on gasoline and pays tax at the pump for every mile shouldn't pay a higher fee than any other car that runs entirely on gas.

I think it's just another example of them not understanding all the details and implications. Not unusual really . . .

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #413  
When the government gives me one, I'll use it. Kinda like the government free cheese from years ago. Gotta be free or it won't happen for me.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #414  
What are you estimating the cost of your 900 sq ft array will be?

Based on my current usage, I need a 9000 kWh system which is around $16k. Payback would be 7 years with no tax incentives. Assuming an EV uses 4000 kwh for 12,000 miles, a 13000 kwh solar system runs around $21k. So the EV will add $5k to the cost. I spend $2k a year in gas for my Malibu for 12,000 miles, at 28 mpg so payback on the additional solar in lieu of gas at $4.80 a gallon would be 2.5 years, again with no tax incentives. With tax incentives, the cost is reduced by 25%.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #415  
Thats your vision as you see it.

Mine is more realistic. Using Ford's new patent (applied for) wireless charging. Just drive home and park, no plugging in which brings me to another theory.
Wireless charging has been talked about before. The vision was using highways for wireless charging (while you are driving. The power needed would come from solar implanted roadways. They already have test streets in use.
"Solar Roadways Incorporated is an American company based in Sandpoint, Idaho, aiming to develop solar-powered road panels to form a smart highway."
This is just one example. Granted it's a work in progress. So was spaceflight at one time.
I own a plug in hybrid. I'm not talking about East coast or big city commuting. Those of us west of D.C. who don't live in a city actually need to drive further than the ranges on those EVs. The whole thing is a classic case of putting the cart before the horse.

Wireless charging is not new and it is very inefficient compared to wired charging. Ford cannot rewrite the laws of Physics.

Consider the sheer number of solar and wind installations needed for enough power to handle our current load. Then consider for a moment how much more would be needed if every vehicle was EV. Between the Rockies and the Appalachians, we have these things called tornadoes. Imagine all of the plains filled with panels and mills. Every time we get a tornado, huge swaths of power generation would be blown away. Wind and solar as anything more than supplemental power is fantasy.

Last edited:
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #417  
Wind and solar as anything more than supplemental power is fantasy.
Exactly. As they remove base load generation and become more dependent on solar and wind, you'll find out the hard way (and so will I) what is going to go down. Europe is already learning the hard way when the sun don't shine and the wind don't blow, things go dark.

Me, I'm along for the ride and I suspect it will be bumpy.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #418  
Just got a notice here a couple weeks ago our electric prices will increase 44.6 percent (West Penn power) starting June 1.
Our water bill increased 25% the week prior

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #419  
Just got a notice here a couple weeks ago our electric prices will increase 44.6 percent (West Penn power) starting June 1.

I got a notice for an 18 percent electric increase. I haven’t paid attention to gas or water.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #420  
I got a notice for an 18 percent electric increase. I haven’t paid attention to gas or water.
Some of that must be to make up for inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.