Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #421  
Yep it is across the board making early adopters very wise in hindsight.

Just received notice Skilled Nursing room charge up from $400 $440 per day…

Mortgage rate increases are causing buyers not qualify.

City has green light with all permits and approvals to renovate piers and breakwater… 40 million project now stopped because the interest rate rise.

A commercial builder just finished a project and said if he bid today materials 1 million higher. He locks in prices at start otherwise he could not stay in business.

My personal inflation tracker is local Real Estate.

In 2012 a million would buy 4 of the area homes… the same homes today, 10 years later are selling for 1.2 million each

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #422  
China, Afghanistan, North Korean and other lithium producing countries don't seem to be our friends! Do you wish to be at the mercy of those countries? Hydrogen is more plentiful, easier to obtain and produces no harmful waste products. Yes, it is explosive, so is gasoline, alcohol and diesel. I seem to remember something about lithium batteries exploding too. Yes there are infrastructure considerations with hydrogen, probably almost as many as improving and expanding our current electrical grid. Perhaps examining the portfolios of those driving this bubble should be examined. Just my thoughts. S

Last edited:
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #423  
I'm a single page in to what is, at the moment, an interesting 43 page comment-fest. Who knows what I'll think by the end, but now I see everything from reality (wide adoption of technology takes longer than is usually forecast) to the fear-mongered: fad, no range, too expensive, have to replace batteries, etc..

First: an electric motor has far more torque on demand than any other power source. No internal combustion engine maintenance...

So, if a Ford Lightning is $41K (base commercial) and a comparable F150 is $30K, (published, actual is closer) with both heading upward from there, the up-front cost is a third higher - at base level. If you trick out either vehicle, the cost differential shrinks with every upgrade.

But, to get to a more exacting cost-comparison, below is a link to a YouTube video where a gas Mini was compared to a Mini EV with all other aspects being the same. The costs over years are listed up to and past battery replacement.(8-16 years.) Is it not truck specific - I'm sure that comparison video is coming soon - but it is a good vehicle-class one-to-one comparison.

Prepared to be surprised. Link:

Here is a quick compare of the F150 and Lightning Compare Ford F-150 vs Ford F-150 Lightning

Article comparing same in costs: These EVs are cheaper to own than their gas-powered counterparts

EV's are coming on strong. When people realize the advantages, the adoption curve will go up dramatically.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #424  
China, Afghanistan, North Korean and other lithium producing countries don't seem to be our friends! Do you wish to be at the mercy of those countries? Hydrogen is more plentiful, easier to obtain and produces no harmful waste products. Yes, it is explosive, so is gasoline, alcohol and diesel. Perhaps examining the portfolios of those driving this bubble should be examined. Just my thoughts. S
We can produce it here, but prefer to transfer the problems with pollution et.al. to other countries.
Sound familiar? On the other hand, new battery technology is being developed which doesn't use lithium.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #425  
Uh no. Sounds like you work for the RNC. Read the information put out by the oil industry itself. They are producing as much oil in 2022 as in 2019. Other factors are increasing prices, but not US crude production. The costs are coming from the refineries, and worldwide demand. Currently we are producing more crude oil in the US than the refineries can keep up with.
It's so common for "rebuttals" to be attributed to a political party or ideology. I'm an American and I think for myself and draw my own conclusions based on whats evident.
*****'s government has put pressure on oil companies with his war on fossil fuels. Refineries have been shut down in part because the business is being attacked politically. A little over three years ago the country was on the rise economically and moderate oil and gas prices were a huge factor. Pipelines reduce cost and are also less polluting. With transportation costs compounding the issue one can take sides on whether this is "which came first the chicken or the egg". Try and decipher that with data that can snowball down any particular slope you wish to roll it.

Oil Companies are not to blame for high prices and subsequent inflation. They are merely price takers in a global market, not price makers. If the future looks grim domestically then a smaller local businesses has to succumb to a global market that all but eliminates domestic competition. Smaller refineries or over regulated ones get crushed and have to shut down. Using your own domestic resources to keep costs down only works if those assets can get from point A to point G while still allowing all parties in the process to remain in the black. The oil to pump process gives specific nations the best opportunities to serve their citizens demands without pricing them out of the market. Government intervention always costs much more as we see with the current leadership.
Refineries are getting squeezed out of business because of stricter regulations. Holding our nation hostage to the whims of fantasy solutions that lack substance keeps putting us back on our heels when relief can realistically be obtained through policy reversal, then I say the ***** administration leadership is responsible.... or irresponsible might be a better term.

Europe has been shutting down their refineries for decades and their virtue signalling politics was taken advantage of by Putin. Venomous countries take advantage of weak ones and *****, along with his weak European partners gave them the green light....... and only became concerned when the Ukrainians shamed them (fighting for their country).....so if you wish to use Putin as an excuse, you might consider a weak "leader of the free world" as the final piece to invading a country without much concern for consequences.....thus Putin's supporting his army with the now escalating higher oil prices globally.

Yes, there are a lot of moving parts here and the cause has become a finger-pointing contest with the American people as the effect of the cause......Lets not compound the issue by denying the truth. ......the present big government and their unqualified, green components have fast tracked our economic decline and left us vulnerable to global insecurity .....that is a fact.

uh yes

Last edited:
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #426  
There have been various methods suggested to compensate for loss of tax revenue. One suggestion was to have a GPS in every car.

Thank you. You just answered one of my questions. I envisioned leaving town for the week, staying at one of the remote camps I work from, plugging into the generator for the night... then not being able to go anywhere the next day because I wasn't anywhere near an internet signal. ;eek:
I should specify that the EVs we drive are a 2016 Kia Soul, a 2019 Chevy Bolt, and a 2021 Kia Niro. Other brands may have different requirements, but these three cars haven't been connected to the Internet while I've had them.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #427  
Wind and solar as anything more than supplemental power is fantasy.

Chuckling, because my home and 2 cars run off of a 16kW solar array as our primary energy source. It's not a fantasy, just a working system that's saving me a pile of money.

I agree we need storage or fossil/nuclear/hydro to fill in the gaps, but that's just engineering, not a fantasy.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #428  
Chuckling, because my home and 2 cars run off of a 16kW solar array as our primary energy source. It's not a fantasy, just a working system that's saving me a pile of money.

I agree we need storage or fossil/nuclear/hydro to fill in the gaps, but that's just engineering, not a fantasy.
One or two or even a hundred people means nothing.

Cost you a pile as well I imagine.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #429  
Good point. But the government didn't build gas stations using confiscated taxpayer money. The free-market and enterprising industry leaders saw the demand and profit potential and filled the gap.
Not quite... If you live in the US, your gas stations are supported by part of the annual $5.9 Trillion fossil fuel subsidy from our taxes. (That was the subsidy on 2020- don't know what it is this year.) That's about 500 times the subsidy for renewables.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #430  
One or two or even a hundred people means nothing.

Cost you a pile as well I imagine.
No, seriously, it's saving me money. The return is so clear that if you want to do the same thing, you'll have banks lining up to loan you the money because you can pay them back with the savings and still have money left.

The facts are simple enough- The solar array will pay for itself in 9 years. The warranty on the equipment is 30 years. That's 21 years of free electricity.

The two cars cost $40K for both. My neighbor spent more than that for one car that burns $5/gallon gas.

I agree that one person can't change the world, but the people who actually try stand a better chance of changing the world than those who sit on the sidelines and scoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.