Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #391  
You have touched on one of my concerns. New technology relies on computers, and based on some of the comments here they are updating on a regular basis. I have several questions and concerns...
-How will that work for somebody like me, who often isn't near any type of signal? Even satellites are dicey in places, as I've found with my InReach, and when I had Sirius.
-Computers are obsolete in a very short period of time. My i-phone, which is just 3 years old, no longer has internet capability since things went to 5G. How long before the computers in your car will have to be upgraded to new hardware?

No doubt my concerns are being addressed. It's also highly unlikely that I will get an answer here on TBN except to be called a dinosaur and a hater, because that's what we do here.

Yet I will find my answers someplace.
I have an old 4G iPhone that still works fine online. It’s not as fast as the new 5G phones but it still works. I’m surprised yours won’t connect online.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #392  
I have an old 4G iPhone that still works fine online. It’s not as fast as the new 5G phones but it still works. I’m surprised yours won’t connect online.
It will connect, but won't completely load. I can't watch a youtube video, download attachments on my email, or do a search.
I am able to visit TBN but can't load all of the pages. It's like having dialup all over again.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #393  
It will connect, but won't completely load. I can't watch a youtube video, download attachments on my email, or do a search.
I am able to visit TBN but can't load all of the pages. It's like having dialup all over again.
Wow. It seems like it’s more a provider issue than a phone issue. Maybe your provider throttled down 4G service in your area? Because my 4G iPhone works well. And much of my state doesn’t have 5G available, just the larger cities.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #394  
Yep, pretty sure. The climate was just too hot for mammals most of the time. Most of those swings were caused by volcanic action (again based on the fossil record.)

Think this through for yourself... In the last 200 years, humans have gone from horses to steam engines to internal combustion to electric... In just 200 years.... But you think we've been around for 500 million before that without accomplishing anything? Does that really make sense to you?
Clearly my sarcasm has eluded you.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #395  
Breeder reactors are great tech. There are numerous reasons these have not been used more regularly. Economics and global unease may bring them new life. They are quite expensive to build.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #396  
My wife and I have 2 cars, and we keep them for 15 years and have it timed so we replace one every 7-8 years. Currently have a 2014 Chevy Malibu and just replaced our 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with a 2022 Chevy Silverado. When it comes time to replace the Malibu in 7 years, I fully expect to buy an EV. EV costs will come down, range will go up. I was interested in getting a Ford Lightning this year, but my $100 reservation with Ford won't let me buy one for several years due to the high demand and limited initial production. So I bought the Silverado instead. The recently announced Chevy EV pickup has an estimated range of 400-500 miles, much better than the 200-300 miles of the Lightning. I have plans to add two lines of 50 amp 220 volt electric service to my garage so it will be EV ready. I added a South facing lean to onto my barn last year, and have 900 sq ft of roof that I built to be able to support a solar array. Give EV a few more years, and the technology will mature and be a viable option for many drivers.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #397  
My wife and I have 2 cars, and we keep them for 15 years and have it timed so we replace one every 7-8 years. Currently have a 2014 Chevy Malibu and just replaced our 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with a 2022 Chevy Silverado. When it comes time to replace the Malibu in 7 years, I fully expect to buy an EV. EV costs will come down, range will go up. I was interested in getting a Ford Lightning this year, but my $100 reservation with Ford won't let me buy one for several years due to the high demand and limited initial production. So I bought the Silverado instead. The recently announced Chevy EV pickup has an estimated range of 400-500 miles, much better than the 200-300 miles of the Lightning. I have plans to add two lines of 50 amp 220 volt electric service to my garage so it will be EV ready. I added a South facing lean to onto my barn last year, and have 900 sq ft of roof that I built to be able to support a solar array. Give EV a few more years, and the technology will mature and be a viable option for many drivers.
What are you estimating the cost of your 900 sq ft array will be?

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #398  
Are you really naïve enough to think the current resident of the White House has any effect on the price of fuel? One thing I remember reading that President Bush told President ***** during *****'s presidential briefing; (paraphrased) "I came into the White House thinking I could change the way oil companies do things. I quickly found out that I didn't have the ability to significantly influence them one way or the other."

I get so damn tired of everyone always trying to turn economic issues into political issues, blaming the "other" party, when neither party is nearly as capable as people think to solve the issues at hand.

I am genuinely intrigued by this . . . Do you really not think that the President and government policies and regulations can influence prices, efficiency, supply, etc.??

Except for certain necessary true-government functions, I believe that every dollar spent by the government is a drag on our economy and society. In other words, the government takes a certain amount of money from all of us and completely wastes it with no benefit whatsoever. Individuals would spend that money much more efficiently.

When the government puts its thumb on the scale and creates obstacles to a particular industry, like they're doing with fossil-fuels, they inhibit that business and reduce supply and increase costs -- and prices. Any kid that can run a lemonade stand knows this. Despite their transparent lies, they've pulled back leases, made the permit process even worse, vilified financial institutions that cooperate, pulled the rug out from under ongoing projects and caused thousands of worker layoffs. They've thrown a wet blanket over the entire fracking effort that was pushing the transition from coal to natural gas and left us with no viable replacement options.

They want to move immediately to a technology and infrastructure that doesn't yet exist. It's not yet clear that it should exist.

What the President, and the government can do is GET IN THE WAY and SLOW DOWN THE ECONOMIC ENGINE OF AMERICA. The best thing they can do is nothing. Legislate reasonable regulations and then get out of the way. Personally, I think it's obscene that a single person can immediately enter office and reverse something as fundamental as our energy policy. But that's exactly what happened in January 2021.

So yes, I am naive enough to believe that the President can create a terrible environment for an industry or the economy in general and drive up prices.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #399  
Are you really naïve enough to think the current resident of the White House has any effect on the price of fuel? One thing I remember reading that President Bush told President ***** during *****'s presidential briefing; (paraphrased) "I came into the White House thinking I could change the way oil companies do things. I quickly found out that I didn't have the ability to significantly influence them one way or the other."

I get so damn tired of everyone always trying to turn economic issues into political issues, blaming the "other" party, when neither party is nearly as capable as people think to solve the issues at hand.

Additional comment -- In addition to the current "war on fossil fuels", which is overt and evident, government spending in general has fueled the inflation we're all feeling. The increase in M1 Money Supply is unprecedented. It's just like a company issuing new stock -- it devalues all the existing stock. And we've just done this on an unprecedented scale.

Both parties need to reign in spending. The government should have a goal of cutting back 10% per year until we get it right-sized. If any of us ran a company or our own personal finances like the government / FED manage the country, we'd be bankrupt, sued, and in jail.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #400  
I never thought I would buy an EV, but about a year ago, I reserved a Lightning. When Ford opened the order banks in January, my dealer had 74 reservations and only one allocation to order. I was the lucky one. I ordered the Pro which is the stripped down model .
I figured if you can get a full size 4wd truck for under 40k(net with tax credits) it is a bargain.
My truck was originally scheduled to be built the week of 5/30, now kicked back to 7/4.

Ford has already delivered some higher priced models to retail customers but the Pro models got kicked down the production calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.