Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #361  
Down here in Lousy-Anna I recently read where some politicians were pushing for an annual EV flat tax of (at least) $60. Before the bill was voted on, some were already arguing $60 wasn’t nearly enough to compensate for the tax loss at the gasoline pump. You can’t make this stuff up.
Actually, they're right since fuel taxes pay for road maintenance in most, if not all, states

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #362  
:) it is 824 miles to my nearest relative. About time to make that drive again.

Imagine the service stations of the future. Extraordinarily long lines as people wait to plug in for 20+ minutes. Waits may not be bad now as vehicles are still few. Even if we could produce enough electricity to charge all vehicles, the infrastructure and logistics will be a nightmare.
By that point I believe that the technology will have improved. They might need to start implementing fees for those who fuel up and leave the pump charger blocked while thy go into the store and browse or hang out with their friends.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #363  
Imagine the service stations of the future. Extraordinarily long lines as people wait to plug in for 20+ minutes. Waits may not be bad now as vehicles are still few. Even if we could produce enough electricity to charge all vehicles, the infrastructure and logistics will be a nightmare.
Thats your vision as you see it.

Mine is more realistic. Using Ford's new patent (applied for) wireless charging. Just drive home and park, no plugging in which brings me to another theory.
Wireless charging has been talked about before. The vision was using highways for wireless charging (while you are driving. The power needed would come from solar implanted roadways. They already have test streets in use.
"Solar Roadways Incorporated is an American company based in Sandpoint, Idaho, aiming to develop solar-powered road panels to form a smart highway."
This is just one example. Granted it's a work in progress. So was spaceflight at one time.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #364  
Yet if we hadn't walked away from that path 40 years ago, it would have been powering our homes for the last couple of decades.
You must remember Seabrook... the nuclear plant which bankrupted NH Public Service because after spending millions of dollars the rules changed, and they weren't allowed to bring it on line.
Not quite correct. There were originally going to be 2 reactors at Seabrook. One of them has been online since the early 90s, the 2nd one was never built.
Down here in Lousy-Anna I recently read where some politicians were pushing for an annual EV flat tax of (at least) $60. Before the bill was voted on, some were already arguing $60 wasn’t nearly enough to compensate for the tax loss at the gasoline pump. You can’t make this stuff up.
The gas tax varies from state to state, anywhere from 8 (Alaska)to over 50¢ (Calif)/gal, plus another 18¢/gal federal tax. Not gonna take long to get to $60 over the course of a year. Given that in many/most states fuel taxes fund road maintenance, EV owners should pay their fair share, and $60 is ridiculously low. A better solution would be once a year taking a mileage reading (maybe as part of state inspection...they plug into the OBD port anyway) and the DMV sending drivers a bill for actual mileage driven. This would apply to all vehicles, regardless of how they're fueled.
Pure EV is novelty item at least until infrastructure is completed that may be 36-48 months. Power grid may take longer 60 to 72. Then a pure EV vehicle will obsolete ICE. Right now I will agree hybrid vehicles non- plug versions are of value until the transformation to Pure EV exists. Not knocking progress on pure EV. The ICE car in the turn of the 20th century experienced innovation over past 100 years. The ICE car replaced horses and wagons. The Pure EV is its infancy currently as time moves forward they will be new ICE replacement unless Hydrogen cars pull forward and are less expensive. We all benefit from progress one way or another. Not picking on any form of transportation we drive what are budget permits.
I don't see the infrastructure being there in the time frame you mention. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation...there have to be enough EVs to make charging stations profitable, but EVs aren't going to sell in sufficient numbers until there are enough charging stations to be convenient. Not everyone is going to be able to charge at home, whether it's because they live in an apartment/condo or just because the electrical system at home isn't up to it. I'm sure we'll get there, but I think the tipping point is further away than you predict. How much longer before free or subsidized charging goes away?
Also, right now Tesla's pretty much the only game in town, and they tend to be owned by people with deeper pockets (who are more likely to be able to pony up for home charging systems) or early adopters (likewise) as opposed to the average Joe. Eventually the technology will trickle down to somewhat affordable levels, but right now everyone's shooting for the high-end customers.

I'm thinking ICE vehicles will around for quite some time to come.

A bit off-topic, but I don't think I've seen this discussed in any of the EV threads here. What's the etiquette about charging at other's houses? If you spend the night at friends/relatives, are you expected to let them recharge their EV on your dime? After all, you're not expected to fill their gas tank, but I get the feeling that some will expect to be able to use your electricity to recharge their car.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #365  
Not quite correct. There were originally going to be 2 reactors at Seabrook. One of them has been online since the early 90s, the 2nd one was never built.
I didn't realize that. All that I know is that I spent some time back in '88 reclearing transmission lines which had gotten away from them while in bankruptcy.
A bit off-topic, but I don't think I've seen this discussed in any of the EV threads here. What's the etiquette about charging at other's houses? If you spend the night at friends/relatives, are you expected to let them recharge their EV on your dime?
This is one of my considerations. It's just 200 miles from my driveway to my mother's house, much of that is at 75-80 70-75 mph. Four years ago we had separate power run to my father's workshop, which previously had some gumped up system. My plan was to put the power in my name, anticipating a charging station one day; but the power company messed it up and now she won't change it over.
Often I will go down and back in a day., which you can't do with most EVs today without a recharge.
Keep in mind that I never let my gas tank get below 1/2; and don't expect to change that habit anytime soon.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #366  
The gas tax varies from state to state, anywhere from 8 (Alaska)to over 50¢ (Calif)/gal, plus another 18¢/gal federal tax. Not gonna take long to get to $60 over the course of a year. Given that in many/most states fuel taxes fund road maintenance, EV owners should pay their fair share, and $60 is ridiculously low. A better solution would be once a year taking a mileage reading (maybe as part of state inspection...they plug into the OBD port anyway) and the DMV sending drivers a bill for actual mileage driven. This would apply to all vehicles, regardless of how they're fueled.
Already on the table in California along with weight factor for miles driven.

Not sure how I would come as many of my cars predate speedometers?

All this raises the question about entire roads or lanes and bridges being devoted to bikes?

The bike license requirement was dropped a few years ago so bikes pay nothing yet command significant swaths of paved roadway in many urban areas and one study said if they build it bikes will.come but some have zero traffic and others have riders of high end bikes robbed at gun point...

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #367  
Pure EV is novelty item at least until infrastructure is completed that may be 36-48 months. Power grid may take longer 60 to 72. Then a pure EV vehicle will obsolete ICE.
This time estimate might work in a stable economy, that has (and uses) it's own domestic resources. So we shut down an infrastructure all ready in place, IE the fossil fuels that built our nation, and also made it stable and economically viable, and we proceed with an expensive new world "deal" that is designed to suck the remaining lifeblood out of our country? With this look into the future, one can only assume that it belongs to China. IMO not a good deal...but alas I am an American so that bias cannot be denied....Now I could mention our already neglected roads, bridges, rail, airports, etc, but who might that effect or concern?

So as it stands right now we are a declining Nation, in deep debt (30 trillion and counting) and the work force that supposedly provides the money is unable to support medicare and social security, now, even in the short term. It will take at least ten years to get back what we have lost in the last 2 years.....and legitimate economists are saying we are now in the free-fall that they warned (rather late) that would happen if our present course was not reversed dramatically......guess what ......it's not happening.

If anyone is paying attention (which most of us don't because we are busy with our own survival), you will find that we don't have the money unless we go further into debt and we print more Benjamins .......the leading cause of INFLATION. So I'm not so willing to sacrifice my livelihood and everything that I worked for in the last 50 years for "the green new deal".

add; I'm not against "progress" or clean air and water, but it should support individual choice and inovation that can stand on it's own merit. Not politically tainted,big government or corporate conglomerates beholden and invested in a totalitarian nation like China.. We should always have choices and that's what a nation that consideres itself free should be about.

reason and common sense go a long way, so here's something that may be noteworthy;

Ground delivery that gets us the goods we need to survive comes from diesel powered trucks and rail......Diesel is off the charts expensive and rising. (some, including me, say it's by design)
Do this math before you contemplate a future that has the cart before the horse and in reality doesn't even have the horse. We need this fix today, not 4 years from now.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #368  
It's already $150 here. We pay $50 for our hybrid. They don't use any of that money to maintain my road though. If you drove the speed limit you would lose a wheel.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #369  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.
I am intrigued by the EV trucks. They seem to have good range, good towing capacity and look comfortable but I’m not sure that I would buy one yet. I want to see how they hold up before I could allow myself to sink that much many into a new technology. They cost more than the first house I bought.

I’m still driving the Chevy I bought 12 years ago and it’s still going strong. As an added bonus, the seat is now conformed to my butt. Why would I give that up?

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #370  
So as it stands right now we are a declining Nation, in deep debt (30 trillion and counting) and the work force that supposedly provides the money is unable to support medicare and social security, now, even in the short term. It will take at least ten years to get back what we have lost in the last 2 years.....and legitimate economists are saying we are now in the free-fall that they warned (rather late) that would happen if our present course was not reversed dramatically......guess what ......it's not happening.
Sad, but true...
And the decline was so fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.