To till or not to till šŸ˜

/ To till or not to till šŸ˜ #11  
So, a big question that hasn't been asked or answered; What do you want to grow, how big of an area, and how quickly you want it to grow?

20" of composed manure over even a 100 ft x 50 ft area is a massive ammount (310 cubic yards); 20" deep over an acre is 2700 cys. I think you would be best served spreading 2-3", applying lime (as required), and tilling, maybe 6" deep.

Another option for a garden; medium-heavy application, and strip tilling; only applying in the strips you intend to actively cultivate (4 ft wide; skip 32" for maintenance path; then another 48" growing bed). You could do a 4 ft x100 ft strip with just 7.5 cy. I would do 1 application of 3" and till, then compact, add another application, recompact, and plant? Probably apply lime on 2nd manure mix?

Last edited:
   / To till or not to till šŸ˜ #12  
If we are just talking about growing yard grass; that's a totally different story. I would make sure your irrigation is on point, balance PH, seed and hay, and then apply many, thin layers on top.

/ To till or not to till šŸ˜ #13  
I compost my horse manure, killing most of the weed seeds and producing great compost. I've been tilling composted horse manure into my clay soil garden for 20+ years. It took years to develop a nice garden. I can turn horse manure into nice almost weed free compost in about 6 months, turning the pile at least once a month.

Personally I'd till as much composted manure into your sugar sand as possible. 6 inches of compost into 6 inches of sand would be a good start.

/ To till or not to till šŸ˜ #14  
We compost horse, cow and chicken manure with green grass clippings mixed with maple and oak leaves. The chicken manure after composted really helps with reproduction of earthworms in our clay soil.
We work the compost into the soil with a tiller. Within 2 weeks after we work the compost in, we check soil ph to see if admendments are needed.

/ To till or not to till šŸ˜ #15  
Assuming you have space I recommend manure be dumped in piles/rows,kept moist,mixed/turned when steam slows until bulk is significantly reduced THEN placed where you want to plant and grow. As best you can move material on exterior of old pile to interior of new pile while turning.
Here's a trick to keep rainfall accessible to plants for longer periods and reduce amount of irrigation required during drought. Bury logs,limbs and twigs beneath soil and manure. Ideally the wood should have started to rot but use what you have and it will get there. Per cu ft rotten wood stores more moisture than composted leaves and grass. I Herd and Tha Said claim rotting wood ties up nitrogen but I say manure covering it has nitrogen to spare so it doesn't matter. I'll let you be the judge after you try it. In your sugar sand I suggest placing logs in a pit and extending above ground then covering with soil and manure. 2' mounds will shrink to grade level in a few years retaining a nice layer of soil below. o

/ To till or not to till šŸ˜ #16  
If you are worried about the weeds in the horse droppings till the
soil 3 times a week for a few weeks that should kill any plant life
and tilling the horse droppings in with the sand will help losen up
the soil then you can add some barn lime to change the ph. Also
you should not use fresh horse droppings in your garden for at
least 5 or 6 months old and they are some plants that don't like
horse droppings

willy

Last edited:
   / To till or not to till šŸ˜ #17  
I would have brought in top dirt if it were available.

/ To till or not to till šŸ˜ #18  
Help me to decide
Try to keep short
Foundation is 18 thick, dug down and removed approx 10 inches of sugar sand.
We get large amounts of horse manure dropped off free throughout the week, regardless of what google or scientists say we have had very positive results, ( we literally have thousands of plants growing on another property using the stuff that will one day come over here ) ( and we are feeding at least 1000 here on this property)
Pure sugar sand, very low nutrient levels in itself ( itā€™s been tested )
Weā€™ve been placing this manure/shavings/hay mix around the house by the bucket full.
If we lay it about 20 + inches thick we figure in a couple/ few years we will end up with 4-5 inches of premium soil.
We look at the forest around us and note the pine treeā€™s that have been there hundreds of years with thick ( 4 inches ) compost at their base but under that pure white sugar sand.
We donā€™t understand why the soil isnā€™t dark rich under these treeā€™s?
Youā€™d think after that many years the soil would be black?
We are considering purchasing a tiller to mix the sand and our compost together into the ground.
Then we consider that tillers are meant to break up hard compacted soil for root development, we have loose sandy soil.
Yes it can get pretty darn compact under the top surface but itā€™s still just sand, no rocks.
Are we wasting our time and money on a tiller?
Our ultimate goal is to have a garden to supplement food and also to enjoy healthy trees/plants on the property.
Thanks to all the farmers
So if you try to use a tiller it will bind up and could take out your slip clutch. When trying to build compost you are much better to pile in long narrow windrows and turn often to make into useable material.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / To till or not to till šŸ˜ #19  
Help me to decide
Try to keep short
Foundation is 18 thick, dug down and removed approx 10 inches of sugar sand.
We get large amounts of horse manure dropped off free throughout the week, regardless of what google or scientists say we have had very positive results, ( we literally have thousands of plants growing on another property using the stuff that will one day come over here ) ( and we are feeding at least 1000 here on this property)
Pure sugar sand, very low nutrient levels in itself ( itā€™s been tested )
Weā€™ve been placing this manure/shavings/hay mix around the house by the bucket full.
If we lay it about 20 + inches thick we figure in a couple/ few years we will end up with 4-5 inches of premium soil.
We look at the forest around us and note the pine treeā€™s that have been there hundreds of years with thick ( 4 inches ) compost at their base but under that pure white sugar sand.
We donā€™t understand why the soil isnā€™t dark rich under these treeā€™s?
Youā€™d think after that many years the soil would be black?
We are considering purchasing a tiller to mix the sand and our compost together into the ground.
Then we consider that tillers are meant to break up hard compacted soil for root development, we have loose sandy soil.
Yes it can get pretty darn compact under the top surface but itā€™s still just sand, no rocks.
Are we wasting our time and money on a tiller?
Our ultimate goal is to have a garden to supplement food and also to enjoy healthy trees/plants on the property.
Thanks to all the farmers
Iā€™d suggest asking your Ag Extension office - they are super helpful. Here is a link to the Marion County office: Marion County - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences - UF/IFAS

/ To till or not to till šŸ˜ #20  
One trusts you have observed from the answers that you will not know until you try it for your particular objective. The folks in your area who historically crop have figured out how to use the sand as a root stand so to speak. Good ingenuity. With your being open to other's discoveries, you will find lots of tidbits like that you can turn into a profit. Two items historically known.
1. Your mulch is a slow release nutrient and water source if you use the sand as a root stand.
2. Your sand can keep the mulch from holding too much water if the surface of the sand is permeable (some are, some are not)
3. All forests have poor soil for conversation's sake. This is the reason that there is almost no sizeable areas of the original Great Southern Forest in the southern states. The last large areas are in Texas. Families would send members west two years ahead to clear a new patch to farm. Then when the current patch was cropped out quickly they would move west to repeat the process. Unlike the Great Southern Forest, the Great Plains was covered in grass which produces a rich lasting soil that is very thick. The Great Plains has operations in single sites/families that have been productive for generations.
4. Be aware that 100% manure will transfer a strong taste into whatever vegetables you grow. Most likely your Horse manure has shavings or other carbon matter mixed into it which will dilute this effect. You might want to taste a tomato.
5. In some clays, if you mix in sand presumably to "help" it you end up with a concrete like soil some or all of the year. You might want to do a test.
6. Most agriculture is site specific with shared traits from other areas.