To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID"

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #51  
Thread resurrected from 2019.
Now it looks like the deadline is May 7, 2025
linky
kick the can down the road

Last edited by a moderator:
   / To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #52  
All this ID crap only affects the ordinay US citizen. The terrorist and illegals have all the proper ID. Having been born and lived in the USA all my life, having served in the US Army (with no D-214) with the Honorable Discharge... I don't have but a ordinary Driver License.......and don't plan on getting any other ID.

But I don't plan on flying or leaving my beautiful country either. But when I die, I have been baptized.... 😇

Cheers,
Mike

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #53  
All this ID crap only affects the ordinay US citizen. The terrorist and illegals have all the proper ID. Having been born and lived in the USA all my life, having served in the US Army (with no D-214) with the Honorable Discharge... I don't have but a ordinary Driver License.......and don't plan on getting any other ID.

But I don't plan on flying or leaving my beautiful country either. But when I die, I have been baptized.... 😇

Cheers,
Mike
Most "ordinary" drivers licenses are being moved to "conform" and "comply" with RealID standards. Just a matter of time.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #54  
Most "ordinary" drivers licenses are being moved to "conform" and "comply" with RealID standards. Just a matter of time.
Surprisingly, at least here in Indiana, you can request a non-real ID drivers license. No charge. Not sure why anyone would do that, but I think they can in other states as well.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID"
Getting my Real ID drivers license didn't hurt one bit....

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #56  
Opted for "regular" driver's license as did my wife. We both have passports.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #57  
I took the time to travel to the nearest motor vehicle branch about an hour away where I could get an enhanced driver's license at a cost of $75.00 so that I didn't need a passport to travel to the U.S. Took over an hour for the two of us to be interviewed and fill in the forms. Had to return another time to complete the procedure after they did their work on it. We no longer live twenty minutes from the border and haven't had the need to use it there. Now I'm told it no longer has any use

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #58  
This is mostly because some states will issue a DL to people who are not here legally and/or do not have a stated residence. Since the Constitution requires states to accept documents from each other, it was becoming problematic. The kick the can problem comes from changes in federal control.

I just got the new kind automatically when I changed my address. Texas (and many other states) already had the 'enhanced' requirements of proving who you are and where you live before issuing ID.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #59  
.... The kick the can problem comes from changes in federal control.

Not really the Federal issue, more like states saying "we are not doing that". Conforming.

And the Fed has to bend accordingly.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #60  
Surprisingly, at least here in Indiana, you can request a non-real ID drivers license. No charge. Not sure why anyone would do that, but I think they can in other states as well.
North Dakota is still issuing the standard license if you request it. I just renewed mine (due to expire next month) and got the "real" one. Wife just did hers a few weeks ago, and went with the standard license again.

I don't remember now how long the time extension was extended for in our state ('24 or '25?), but at least for now, our state is not requiring "real" ID's yet. And yeah, it's on a per state basis. Our governor said "Nope" initially and was one of the states pushing back on the feds for time extensions, and may even (governor) extend it again further.