/ To fix a mud hole! #12  
Liked ...

An old road grader guy once told me, "a road without a ditch is a ditch"

/ To fix a mud hole! #14  
Liked ...

An old road grader guy once told me, "a road without a ditch is a ditch"
Isn't ovrszd a road grader guy? Not sure on the old part, though. Ha Jon

/ To fix a mud hole! #16  
You won't ever fix your mud hole until it is no longer a hole.

Fill it or "take the high road" around it.

Bruce

/ To fix a mud hole!
From you picture it looks like there is an intermittent stream bed, flowing from close left to teh right and away. Don’t know how big it might get, but your mud hole is becasue you have kept crossing there and pushed out fine aggregate, making a low spot full of water, and the problem has gotten progressively worse.
Yes, there is water coming into this spot from the left. There is a little swampy area that fills during the wet season that once full flows into this area. I need to put a culvert across the road to keep this area drained and divert the water in another direction, which I plan to do. But that will not solve my issue, rain and flood waters will continue to fill my mud hole, keeping it a mud hole.

This is obviously an old trail that has eroded and compacted down to it's swamp elevation. If you plan to continue the route you will have to elevate it.

An old road grader guy once told me, "a road without a ditch is a ditch". That applies here.

That is the plan, fill it with progressively smaller concrete chunks. I might even sprinkle some gravelly dirt over the larger concrete to fill the voids and lock it in place before I put the smaller stuff on top. I plan on creating a ditch on the right side of the filled area to allow water to flow down and out that right side like it is doing now.

For the reroute vote, this is not a very viable option. I could drive around the puddle on the left, but that just seems lazy and silly. It would still be a muddy mess. I feel it is better to fix the issue rather than ignore it is there and drive around it.

/ To fix a mud hole!
It's abit late now but some heavy highway fabric would have helped.
I am going to use cloth on the ends where they transition out of the mud hole. These spots will likely only have the 3" concrete chunks. This way it hopefully keeps the smaller chunks from disappearing.

/ To fix a mud hole! #19  
IMHO its more of a drainage issue than a fill issue.
I would concentrate on fixing the drainage with adding slope, adding ditches and this material can be used to raise the grade, and add some drainage tile to boot. Would be a cheap fix but labour intensive depending on what you have for equipment. This is where a backhoe or excavator becomes wickedly valuable.

/ To fix a mud hole!
IMHO its more of a drainage issue than a fill issue.
I would concentrate on fixing the drainage with adding slope, adding ditches and this material can be used to raise the grade, and add some drainage tile to boot. Would be a cheap fix but labour intensive depending on what you have for equipment. This is where a backhoe or excavator becomes wickedly valuable.
Unfortunately there is no real way to fix the slope. It is a flat swampy area. I will eventually put a culvert back behind the camera location that should stop the small trickle of water constantly moving through the mud hole. But rain and flood water will still fill the mud hole. I MIGHT be able to eek out a little better flow out the side with that water, but it it pretty darn flat in there. But if I fill the majority of the area it should facilitate drainage as the water has nowhere else to go but out the side.