Tires for 7K car hauler

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #31  
Are you saying that ST tires that have L and M speed ratings are miss labeled? I find it hard to believe they could advertise a speed rating that is only achievable by inflating the tire over the advertised max inflation.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #32  
Are you saying that ST tires that have L and M speed ratings are miss labeled? I find it hard to believe they could advertise a speed rating that is only achievable by inflating the tire over the advertised max inflation.

I first came across that info on Tire Rack, and posted it in another thread quite a while ago, Just reposted here as a PSA, and to cite the Goodyear document #.

Personally, I don't tow with ST > 65mph. I'm not familiar with L or M ratings, so can't comment.

To me, this consideration shows how under-engineered ST tires are for sustained high speed.

Rgds, D.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #33  
It was common practice to use LT tires also around here but no more. They will not mount them either.

It all comes down to liability. .

I wish the authorities that have created these Liability fears put even 40% of that enforcement energy into keeping the garbage ST tires out of our countries - those products are way more of a danger than LT tires.

Rgds, D.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #34  
My Maxxis tires are speed rated. Can't remember to what speed, but I recall that it is faster than I will ever tow. I will tow a full load or a camper at 80 mph plus when I feel that it is safe to do so. My truck is well maintained and my brakes and tires on trailer and truck are properly inflated and working properly.

I towed my camper on Power King radial tires at 80-90+ mph for a 16 hour day from Colorado Springs to just inside the Tennessee border one day in July 2015. No excess heat in the tires every time I stopped and no issues. Properly inflated radial tires in good condition and of good quality can handle speed and weight.

Buy good stuff and use it.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #35  
I wish the authorities that have created these Liability fears put even 40% of that enforcement energy into keeping the garbage ST tires out of our countries - those products are way more of a danger than LT tires.

Rgds, D.

I agree.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #36  
I've posted this over-pressure info in another thread, but came across this tonight - it lists Goodyear's bulletin #:

I won't tow with ST tires much faster than 65 mph, and if I lived in the SouthWest, maybe not even that high...

Another important distinction between LT and ST tires is their speed ratings something a lot of RVers tend to overlook. Goodyear, maker of Marathon trailer tires, states in its bulletin PSB 2011-13: Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 mph under normal inflation and load conditions. Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold-inflation pressure by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load. Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi does not provide any additional load-carrying capacity.

"Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph. The cold-inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."

RV Tires 1�1

Rgds, D.

In the above RV Tires 101 link, I saw it mentioned car tire have a max pressure for a max load. But I was told on trailer tires to always run max pressure all the time. Does everyone do that? Jon

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #37  
In winter months I run 75 psi if they call for 80 max . Adjust if necessary in the summer months. Same for the truck.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #38  
In the above RV Tires 101 link, I saw it mentioned car tire have a max pressure for a max load. But I was told on trailer tires to always run max pressure all the time. Does everyone do that? Jon
We do on all of our trailers at work as do I on my 3 personal trailers.

Have not had a failure in 10 years since my last set of Marathons. I now only run Greenballs, Maxxis, and Kenda.

The Kenda came on our latest trailer. So far so good with about 3000 miles since October.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #39  
Last year I "switched" over to Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires on my 21' enclosed and 14K Gooseneck trailers. I got rid of the Marathons and the "China bomb" Mission's that came with my Gooseneck. I am really happy with these tires and they seem to be getting good reviews as well. I will be going to these on my two horse trailers and my fishing boat soon as well. My aluminum car hauler came with Westlake's we'll see how they do (they get decent reviews also).

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #40  
I can tell you who I won't buy from again. I bought 5 new tires and wheels from Camper Trailer Supply off amazon. They pictured the freestar brand radial and sent some other brand bias ply tire. I haven't had any problems with the tires they sent but they misrepresented the product for sale and would not do anything to correct. Argued with me and said the photo just showed a wheel and tire and it didn't mean I would get what was shown in the picture.