Tire true dimensions

/ Tire true dimensions #1  

repete

Veteran Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
On my L2550DT I have 12.4 X 24 rear tires. Both have about equal tread wear it appears but one tire measures considerable smaller than the other (two different brands). Is there a site than can be found that tells the true tire width and height?

With one rear being slightly taller than the other it causes the loader to not sit level on the ground. The level part is not a big deal as I never work on a perfectly flat surface but it occurred to me that if the circumference is greater than original it could have a serious effect on the ratio of the 4WD.

Thanks for any tips guys.

Gregg

/ Tire true dimensions #2  
On my L2550DT I have 12.4 X 24 rear tires. Both have about equal tread wear it appears but one tire measures considerable smaller than the other (two different brands). Is there a site than can be found that tells the true tire width and height?

With one rear being slightly taller than the other it causes the loader to not sit level on the ground. The level part is not a big deal as I never work on a perfectly flat surface but it occurred to me that if the circumference is greater than original it could have a serious effect on the ratio of the 4WD.

Thanks for any tips guys.

Gregg
You need two new tires. You're going to damage your tractor, if you haven't already.

/ Tire true dimensions #3  
One tip would be to always buy tires in pairs. I get my tractor tires from Les Schwab. They can even fill them if desired and for a reasonable price. If the difference between your tires is enough to tilt your loader they're not even close. Be sure both have proper pressure. Put a mark on the bottom of each and a mark on the ground. Move the tractor until the mark is again at the bottom and measure the distance. That should answer the outside diameter questions. I don't know if you've ruined your tractor as only one wheel is driving mostly but you sure haven't done it any favors.

/ Tire true dimensions #4  
Most tire manufactures web site have the diameter, the loaded radius and the rolling circumference.

/ Tire true dimensions #5  
I have seen a forklift that was made from a tractor that was reversed ie steerers now at the rear and the forks mounted on the drive wheels the driver was complaining about the wheels being different and putting the forks out of level what it actually was the wheel bearing had collapsed that was causing it tilt

/ Tire true dimensions
You need two new tires. You're going to damage your tractor, if you haven't already.
I have driven it a couple thousand hours this way so I am not too concerned with the open rear end and 4WD only in slippery conditions. I just want to know if I buy new tires what SHOULD they be to match the front rpm.

/ Tire true dimensions #7  
To match up with the fronts is going to be difficult.
If the rears are worn down and the fronts are not, then the front should be leading the rears by a considerable amount.
If the rears are replaced with the fronts wore out unless you get the shortest manufactures rears of the desired size the rears are going to be pushing the fronts.
There are a few ways to figure out the correct rolling circumferences of your existing tires or the loaded radius.
If you run it so many revolutions in 4wd and count the revolutions you can get a rough idea of the gear ratios front to rear.
And by looking carefully at the tire prints you can determine if the fronts are leading or lagging and go from there.
Because your rear tires are mismatched your results will be the average of the two rear tires.