tire punctures

/ tire punctures #11  
Bird,
Mesquite thorn,would that be in the same family as a thron apple?
Over the years thron apple which some call thron needles claim a lot of flat tires./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
Thats one tree branch you want gloves on when removing.../w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Thomas..NH

/ tire punctures #12  
Harv, TomG has already answered. There are several brands of course. You can buy a "kit" that includes a punch for inserting into the puncture to clean any debris out and a tool to insert the plug. And they're only good for tubeless tires (in my case front tires only). I've never tried, or known anyone who's tried, using them in a liquid filled tubeless tire, so I can't really say whether it would work or not, but have some doubts. The plugs have been around almost, but not quite, as long as tubeless tires and I know folks in the tire business who think the modern ones are better than patching a tire on the inside. Some of the early ones (40 years or so ago) had a tendency to blow out and/or leak, I've always preferred a patch on the inside on my cars and pickups, but I think you'll find most tire dealers use the plugs instead now-a-days and only patch the inside if the customer requests it, so I put my first plug ever in one of my pickup tires last year and it's still there with no leaks. In 4 years, I had to put two plugs in one of my riding mower tires with no problems, and as mentioned, I plugged my tractor tire last week without taking it off the tractor, removing the valve core, etc. so it's quick and easy.

Thomas, I'm not sure what the thron apple (or is it thorn apple?) is, but mesquite is a common bush or tree in this part of the country that is hard to get rid of, and the thorns (up to 2-3") are supposedly the reason the old cowboys invented the leather chaps to protect their legs. I stepped on one about 4 years ago that stuck right through the bottom of my sneaker; ouch! As far as I know, no one has found a good use for mesquite wood except for barbecuing (sweeter than hickory). And it burns hotter than most wood; not too good for fireplaces. I cooked the mortar out from between the bricks on my first fireplace and had to rebuild it.

Bird

/ tire punctures #13  
The ol' American Heritage Dictionary sez --

da•tu•ra (dú-tÜr2ú, -tyÜr2ú) n. 1. Any of several plants of the genus Datura, having large trumpet-shaped flowers up to 25 centimeters (10 inches) long and usually prickly fruits. The leaves and seeds yield alkaloids with narcotic properties. Also Called thorn apple.

HarvSig2.gif

/ tire punctures #14  
OK, Harv, with that definition, I have an idea what it might look like, but I don't know whether I've ever actually seen one or not. It doesn't sound like something I'd want on my place any more than I want mesquite.

Bird

/ tire punctures #15  
The plug kits apparently do work with liquid filled tires. The B6100D I just got has water filled Ag tires and one of the front tires has a plug in it with no leaks.

Bill

/ tire punctures #16  
WVBill,

Do your liquid filled tires have tubes? If so, then that would be remarkable if a tube tire was able to be plugged. I've heard somewhere, maybe it was here, that tires can be liquid filled without tubes. The potential of having a tubed tire punctured is one of the reasons that I have not yet liquid filled my tires but am leaning toward bolt-on weights.

Bill, can you confirm that you have tubed tires?

/ tire punctures #17  
Well, when my Father-in-law gave me the tractor (he's the original owner), he said that the front ones (the one with the plug) are not original and are tubeless. I'll take a look when I get home tonight.

How can one tell conclusively whether there's a tube in a tire or not?
(other than taking it off the rim...)

Bill

/ tire punctures #18  
Bill, if it's been plugged then it had to be a tubeless. However, a tube could have been added later, so the plug doesn't conclusively tell you whether it has a tube in it. I've had enough experience with tires that I can tell by the valve stem, but don't know how to describe here how to do it.

Bird

/ tire punctures #19  
The tube type valve stem will visibly stick through the hole in the rim without an overlap. The tubeless valve stem will have an obvious overlap, and or have a screw type retainer covering a rubber seal, as it requires the stem to be sealed to prevent any leakage around it.

/ tire punctures #20  
Scruffy, that's a pretty good description, but then there are some tubes with a valve stem that has a retainer ring screwed on them on the outside, which is what I have, but they don't have the rubber seal like the metal tubeless valve stems.

Bird