tire punctures

/ tire punctures #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've been doing a lot of heavy work with my B2400 this year and have now had 3 front tire punctures in the past 3 times using the tractor. I'm working in areas where there is a lot of debris and I expect all the punctures are from nails. I have turf/bar tires which include turf-like front tires (the rears are big like turf tires, but have traction bars like ag tires.)

My questions is whether R4 tires will be significantly more resistant to punctures than the front turf tires I now have. I would consider changing if it will make a significant difference.

Peter

/ tire punctures #2  
Peter,
If you only have puncture your tires 3 times so far than I say you done well.

Do or have you consider tubes in your tires?
The reason for asking the question,if you were working and punch another hole maybe a can of fix a flat could help you out.

For if I had 3 flat tires /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif in this area I would try and remove top of ground or something.

I thought I saw once in a catolog {Northern Hydraulic} one could buy a magnet,4 to 6 foot long couple of inches wide.
It can be used on pick ups to tractors and you level to the height of the ground by chains.
Stay safe and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ tire punctures #3  
Peter,
After my 4th cup of coffee my brain started to recall /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif about the magnet I spoke of in my earlier post.
Northern tool & equipment catalog.
Website www.northerntool.com
The magnet can clean a swath from 36" to 72" and the magnet picks up nails,wire and other metal objects.
This might be the answer to your question.
Have a pleasant weekend and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ tire punctures #4  
Peter the industrial tires do have far more material for an object to go thru but it still doesn't mean no flats. The bulk of the extra plies in the industrial tires are built into the side walls for the added weight on the tires from loader work. It might be enough to get you by depending on what is doing the damage. Those added plies on the side wall are what gives the industrial tires the rougher ride when mowing that has been discussed on this board before. There are pros and cons to every thing and depending on how much more of this type work you have to do should help you make the choice of the extra expenditure with no guaranteed relief.

/ tire punctures #5  
peter,
The magnet idea works well (we use one for the barn to sweep for nails for the horses, not my tractor, but same concept) Only problem is you can't sweep your whole property, it won't work if things are buried and then you unearth them, and it won't work on thorns. What will work is some green goo. Go to gemplers.com and search for tire repairs. They sell the stuff by the quart/gal or 5 gal. It's a gel that remains a gel and if you get a puncture it fills in and thats the end of it. The fix a flat mentioned hardens up after application and is only goos for that one time. The green goo stays liquid and just keeps rolling around the inside of the tire filling any punctures that occur. They have different compositions but the lower priced one should fit your needs. (The better stuff works on bigger holes, was developed for the military, and costs more) R4's are more puncture resistant but a nail at the right angle would still go right through.

/ tire punctures #6  
Harbor freight also carries the green goo. Speaking of that magnet, how about mounting one on the back side of a loader bucket? Seems like it would pick up a lot when the bucket was dropped down low, and by mounting on the backside, maybe it would keep it from getting ripped off.

/ tire punctures
Thanks for all the magnet suggestions, but as one note mentioned, the problem is constant unearthing of "stuff" from 200 years of farming and life. I'm going through areas that used to be dumps and are filled with glass and metal debris including nails, and the old foundations of barns that haven't stood for 100 yrs. Unfortunately it's not just a matter of picking up the nails from the last roofing job.

When I get a flat, I just put in a plug. It's actually a lot easier than patching a tube since you don't have to remove the tire or the wheel, but sooner or later I'll take it in the side wall and so-long tire.

/ tire punctures #8  
I had to put my first plug in a front tire this past week; a mesquite thorn./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ tire punctures #9  
I hate to flaunt my ignorance here, but could someone tell me more about these "plugs"? Sounds like something worth knowing about.

HarvSig2.gif

/ tire punctures #10  
I think the plugs are the ordinary plugs for tubeless tires, at least I haven't heard of anything specifically for tractors. Seems like a nice easy solution that can be done in the field without taking anything apart. They should work on front tires, I don't know about the rears. If it holds pressure, great, if not, there's really nothing lost.

A dump superintendent I know gets flats regularly, he carries the plugs and repairs and reinflates his tires on site without even jacking up the truck. Of course, the plugs aren't going to work if the tire has a tube and probably not with liquid fill.