Tire planning

/ Tire planning #21  
If you ever plan to use R4 s in the snow or ice, you may want read about the traction issues with R4. It they have traction problems in those conditions.

/ Tire planning #22  
Have used both for a very long time and there is no way Id get rid of R1 for R4. They are more stable, and easier on grass, and stronger. But thats where the advantages end. In mud they clog up almost instantly.
I find my original R4 spin on the grass way more often and tear up the grass more than my old tractor's R1s. My new tires are the ones in the above picture that shows a R1 type tread in 17.5LR24 (460/70R24) and will be installed sometime next week.

/ Tire planning #23  
1. Will the R4 make the L3400 more stable?

The spread of your rear wheels/tires is the most important single factor influencing tractor stability.
All R1/ag wheels/tires are adjustable for width. Do you have your existing wheels/tires set at the widest spread available? Wheel/tire spread options should be shown as diagrams in your L3400 Operator's Manual.

R4/industrial tires on an L3400 are NOT adjustable for spread. To increase wheel/tire spread you have to install aftermarket wheel spacers.

2. Can I drain and reuse the best juice that is in the tires? It’s the original 2007 juice…
Few dealers will deal with old beet juice. Too stinky, too messy. Old lumpy, sticky juice plugs tire valves.

3. Where do I go? My original dealer is out of business.
Any amenable tire shop can acquire and install tractor tires. Tires are tires.

4. What should I expect for price? I’d think the R4s would better handle sticks and brush than R1s.
Factory standard R1/ag tires are four ply. Consider purchasing replacement R1/ag tires with six or eight plies.
(Factory standard R4/ industrial rear tires are six ply.)

5. Can I buy the tires/rims and install myself?
Loaded rear tires are too heavy for one person to remove/replace without the proper equipment. This is sufficiently hazardous that I would not attempt it myself. Leave it to a dealer who is experienced with big, heavy tires.

6. Would you buy and request install?

7. Is there a market for old tires/rims? Where? Value?
Not that I am aware of.
Ive sold thousands of used tractor tires and I don't have or never had a tire store.

/ Tire planning #24  
If you ever plan to use R4 s in the snow or ice, you may want read about the traction issues with R4. It they have traction problems in those conditions.
Chains. Everyone that deals with ice and snow needs chains.

/ Tire planning #25  
Chains. Everyone that deals with ice and snow needs chains.
I don't know about that. I made up a set of chains for my 955 and never used them. When I traded off my 955 the tire chains went to the new owner. For my 4410 I could have used tire chains once since 2004. So for about 22 years I've only really needed tire chains once.

That's been my experience. I know that there are owners on this forum that need them every year.

/ Tire planning #26  
I don't know about that. I made up a set of chains for my 955 and never used them. When I traded off my 955 the tire chains went to the new owner. For my 4410 I could have used tire chains once since 2004. So for about 22 years I've only really needed tire chains once.

That's been my experience. I know that there are owners on this forum that need them every year.
It don't snow much here either. So last year we got a foot and a half. No municipal plows. I was feeding 3000 momma cows a day. Some I had a 30 mile one way trip, with a long gooseneck full of hay, skid steer on the tail end of trailer. Fed them every day. I had chains on my vehicle. But none on the 4x4 hay hauler. Now I can outfit all. Tractors weren't that bad. We used them around the barn. Cleaned the area off with two skid steers. One tractor is a 4 x 4 100 horse cab tractor. We mixed feed in a tub grinder, put it out in a row of concrete troughs, 3 different pastures. They were within 5 miles so drove the tractor. But that one 30 mile trip was tough, you couldn't mess up. Cramped area to turn around. Usually alone after dark. I'd have to roll a few bales out. Cut net wrap off all of it. All in the name of BEEF, it's what's for dinner.

/ Tire planning #28  
It’s interesting that in my owners manual the both the front R1 & R3 tire run at lower pressures 8 psi on the low end but the R4 is 16 psi.

I currently have the radial 550s set to 16 psi, but I may try lowering it some.

I chalked the lugs and at 16 psi the chalk was completely gone in say 3 revolutions, but I think the outside of the lugs were the last to go.
I lifted a 8 foot grain drill off a trailer today and 16 psi squished a bunch, but they held. I will have to raise the psi when doing heavy loader work.

/ Tire planning #29  
R4's suck in snow and ice?? No chains, not filled. Wet heavy snow melting on ice. Just cut my driveway down to the hard ice pack.
Yes, I'm sure I could get it to spin, but you don't have to mash the go pedal to the floor every time you go to move.
Use finesse and it will do anything you want.
I have a steep hill on my bush road that I snow blow going up, no problem there either,

Attachments

• 20230208_173647 - Copy.jpg
    20230208_173647 - Copy.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230208_173714 - Copy.jpg
    20230208_173714 - Copy.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230208_173730 - Copy.jpg
    20230208_173730 - Copy.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 59