Tire liquid for weight

/ Tire liquid for weight #1  

Danny 1953

Tractor
New Holland workmaster 40
I understand windshield fluid is good for tire weight but would think the main ingredient is water. What about rim rust using this? If rust is not a danger would it not be cheaper to use water and antifreeze? Or is there danger of rust with it?
Since found out it will take to much antifreeze and probably cost more.

Last edited:
   / Tire liquid for weight #2  
Good Morning Danny and welcome to TBN. I've used salt in water - on my first tractor and now - RimGuard in my Kubota M6040.

I will DEFINITELY recommend against salt in water. It can/will cause corrosion. Your rim and the guts of your valve stem.

I've not heard much about other products. Windshield washer fluid and RV antifreeze are used often.

It kind of depends upon where you are located. If in an area that doesn't freeze - plain water and an anti-corrosion additive would be adequate.

I've had RimGuard in the rear tires of my M6040 for 15 years now with no problems. I choose this because it is the heaviest - non-corrosive - non-freezing fluid I can obtain around these parts.

RimGuard adds 1550 pounds to my rear tires.

/ Tire liquid for weight #3  
Put the windshield washer fluid in a tube, no rust. Regular antifreeze is toxic, you will eventually get a leak and lose some.

I've successfully used calcium chloride for 40+ years with no rusted rims, always used an inner tube. I do need to replace the valve stems every 8 - 10 years, which is a pain.

Next time, if there is a next time I'll use rimguard.

/ Tire liquid for weight #4  
I used winter blend washer fluid about 20 years ago and haven't had a problem yet. It was the cheapest option at the time for a cold climate.

/ Tire liquid for weight #5  
I put WW fluid in my first tractor. I was cheap and knew I would be trading up. Had it for a couple of more years after filling so cannot comment on rust.

The current tractor has RimGuard.

If you intend to keep your tractor for more than 10 years, RimGuard is the safe bet. But without oxygen, it seems unlikely rust would be much of a risk. If you having to air up your tires often that will put more oxygen in with every fill.