Tire Chains???????

/ Tire Chains??????? #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
After last weekends snow I have decided that my tractor really bites in the snow. Those turf tires in the rear just do not cut it. So I have decided to buy a set of chains for the Cub. The problem is that I have no clue as to what size chains fit these tires. The front are easy as the size is 27x10.50x15 which I think a chain for 10.50x15 will fit them. The rears are 41x14.00x20. I couldn't find a set to fit these tires. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

/ Tire Chains???????
Wow, thanks for the link. They have some great prices too. So which is the best all around chain? I like the ladder double links. or the first set.

/ Tire Chains??????? #4  
Thanks for the link. This looks like a great site. I had ordered chains for the rear of my tractor when I bought it since I figured there would be issues with ice/snow this spring when I start sugaring. I didn't know (and the dealer didn't say anything about) chains for the front tires. Curently I have ladder chains on the back. Can you run a different type on the front? Thanks!!

/ Tire Chains??????? #5  
Jim,
Are you using your FEL to move snow on a paved driveway? I also wondered if you had weight in the back of the tractor. I do a gravel driveway and for all the snow I moved last winter I didn't struggle as you mentioned.
I thought about chains too. Good link

/ Tire Chains???????
We had 4 inches of wet snow last friday. I had all I could do to get up my driveway it was so slick. The traction out in the fields and on my hill to the wood lot really stinks with the snow on the ground. I barely made it up the hill the other day. I have my 6' grader blade hanging off the 3pt right now and used that to plow the driveway. It scraped the snow right down to the asphalt. The wife doesn't want me to wreck the driveway with the bucket, yeah right. I usually use my S-10 to plow with. My son presently has it at school in D.C. while we sell his car to find him an automatic to drive in the city.

/ Tire Chains??????? #7  
Hmm.....
Sounds like chains are the way to go. Some others have posted things they've done to prevent the FEL from damaging the driveway. Like PVC pipe with a slice in it so the loader drags across the driveway vs scraping it.
We've been blessed so far actually all over the east with little bad weather yet.

/ Tire Chains???????
My Cub can do the driveway fine with the FEL by just locking the lever in the float position. You can do damage if you try to force the loader into the driveway.

/ Tire Chains??????? #9  
Actually thats what I do also once the ground has frozen and the snow compacts on the gravel driveway. I didn't have chains on the tractor last year and I seemed to do "ok" but in your case the asphalt might be slick as you mention. Having a different type of driveway I can see how the situation can be difficult. Some people fearing the loader scraping the driveway did a slip over cover to the edge of the loader to prevent dragging. Just thought I'd mention it.
With temps in the 50's in WNY so far snow has been the last thing on my mind.