Tin Can Storage Boxes Cheap

/ Tin Can Storage Boxes Cheap #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
I wanted to clean up the mess of cans we have in our basement and rotate the supplies. I looked online and saw a few boxes but they were 10-15 dollars a piece and made out of cardboard.
I messed around with the boxes and finally found a design that workes. I would imagine if you had plywood you could make them more robust.
you will need (you choice of materials)
2-10x10 (all inches) for the sides
2-5 1/2 x 7 for the top and shelf
2-5 1/2 x 10 for the bottom and back
1-5 1/2 x 2 can stop
4-5 x 3/4 shelf supports
1-1 1/2 x 2 rear support
I mark each side of the 10 x 10 to make gluing easier I also keep a can handy to check distances.
Glue top, shelf, bottom, and back
Glue supports and can stop
glue other side and supports let dry and label.
Hints dont drop cans in when its empty it make break the can stop.
If your basment is damp then you may want to seal/paint the boxes.
Once you have the mechanics of the box down you can make various sizes for tunafish etc....
Canboxes1001.jpg

Canboxes1002.jpg

Canboxes1003.jpg

Canboxes1004.jpg

Canboxes1009.jpg

Canboxes1006.jpg

Canboxes1011.jpg

Canboxes1012.jpg

/ Tin Can Storage Boxes Cheap #2  
You sir, have toooooooooo much time on your hands..

/ Tin Can Storage Boxes Cheap #3  
Too much time may be an understatement but I like the idea and it looks like it works rather well. I remember seeing plastic versions of these in the supermarket.

/ Tin Can Storage Boxes Cheap #4  
Too much time may be an understatement but I like the idea and it looks like it works rather well. I remember seeing plastic versions of these in the supermarket.

Yes, I had 3 of them all filled with beer.

/ Tin Can Storage Boxes Cheap #5  
Seen them in metal wire frame. worked pretty well my sister had a few that fit onto a 12" deep shelf & had room for 3 runs of cans end to end. I think there was room for about 10 cans in each run...
Mark

/ Tin Can Storage Boxes Cheap
These will hold 7 cans plus four on top. It took me 5 mins to put together three (since that was how many I had cut at the time). Time wise its an easy project, having cans fall over and not stack on each other and hearing "when will you clean the shelves" made this project an easy one to justify.