Tiller for GC

/ Tiller for GC #31  
I had a similar answer about tracks. There's a big difference between ~180# me and a ~1600# tractor and how much the dirt will get compacted.
fwiw the woods rt48.30 weighs approx 502 lbs, the rtr48.30 (reverse rotation) is 507 lbs per spec sheet.

woods 48.30 specs conv 1.jpeg

/ Tiller for GC #32  
All other things being equal:

Driving a 60” tiller at 80% speed of a 48” tiller’s speed uses the same horsepower as the 48” tiller. You’re tilling the same amount of dirt at the same rate. Same rate (of work done) = same horsepower. At 80% speed, a 60” tiller will also take the same amount of time to tiller the garden area as a 48” tiller would at base speed.

What is optimum speed (for comfort or boredom) for your tractor’s horsepower, as related to the implement’s width, or tractor’s ability to raise and carry a large implement are other issues.

/ Tiller for GC #33  
60" woods is 570 lbs, other manufacturers seem to be pretty close to that. neighbors (forget make/model) was 590 lbs.
570lbs off the back of a massey GC can really suck handling with tiller raised.

/ Tiller for GC #34  
I have, and with my 4320 which is on par with your MX. No difference that I can tell. Compaction is not a one off. It's not like OMG I have to start all over again.
Well go for it if it works for you. A lot depends on the clay content of the soil regarding how compactable the soil is and how it affects plant growth.

/ Tiller for GC #35  
I'm going to break down this year and buy a tiller.

I'm looking at Woods because it is who makes my blower and what my dealer carries.

Question is, will the GC handle a 60 inch tiller or do I need to go with a 48?
Manufacturer says I should use the 48.
With the spacers on my rear wheels a 48 inch tiller will not completely cover the wheels (~50.5")

I'm assuming that I can use 60 inch - PTO HP is listed as 18-40 RT60.40 – Woods Equipment
PTO HP listed on the 48 is 15-35 RT48.30 – Woods Equipment

GC1725M PTO HP is claimed to be 24.5 so it should be able to run either.

Just want to see if anyone thinks I'm missing something here?
Do you think the 48 will work or should I go with the 60?
just noticed that you saying the PTO HP is 24.5. That doesn't sound right, should be more like 18 or 19 on a 25hp engine. It will still run the 60" tiller, I'm confident in that. If you decide to upsize your tractor at some point you might not need to upsize your tiller too.

/ Tiller for GC
just noticed that you saying the PTO HP is 24.5. That doesn't sound right, should be more like 18 or 19 on a 25hp engine. It will still run the 60" tiller, I'm confident in that. If you decide to upsize your tractor at some point you might not need to upsize your tiller too.
Correct, I read the wrong line, PTO HP is 19.6. Another reason not to do with the 60 as the tractor is near the minimum required to run it. If I had been paying more attention I would not have even thought about getting the bigger one.

I have no plan on getting a bigger tractor, I bought the GC planning to own it for life, its or mine.

/ Tiller for GC
Went down to the dealer today. They had a barely used 48.30 in Massey red, 30% off the new price. Looked like new except for the a light dirt film on the tines. They're gonna check it out and deliver in a week or so.

/ Tiller for GC #38  
cool. may need half a pto shaft to match your particular 3pt hookup (eg quick hitches,etc) but thats not too bad a price IF needed.

/ Tiller for GC
The price included a PTO shaft cut to the right size for my setup, no quick hitch, and nothing for delivering it.

/ Tiller for GC #40  
sweet. yeah I forgot you were a 1725M so have backhoe. would be pain to remove quick hitches when backhoe needed.