Tiller advice for new Kubota B2650 owner

/ Tiller advice for new Kubota B2650 owner #1  

markjtrickey

Tractor
Kubota B2650
Hi,

Looking for advice on a 3PH Tiller to put behind a Kubota B2650 (26HP/19.5HP PTO). The dealer where I'm buying the tractor only sells Woods, which I understand to be a good brand, but the one he has in stock is their lower end model, only 4 tines and pretty darn expensive. I have looked at the King Kutter models, but the models I looked at seem to be missing the adjustable offset which I think may come in handy if I want to leave hard pack rows in-between tilled rows.

What I'm hoping to get is one wide enough to cover tracks if I run it centered (maybe 52 - 54 inches), 6 tines, forward rotation, and adjustable offset. And I want it to last forever and be cheap :laughing: Actually, money is not the primary factor. It's not going to get daily use or anything, but I want it to last and not leave any parts behind in the garden :)

I have looked at the Sicma T5-60 60 over at McGee's and it seems to fit my needs, but I have heard the heavier the better and the Sicma's seem on the light side compared to others. There was a Tarter I looked at that could be used both forward and reverse rotation, but the HP rating was above the 19.5 I have available at the PTO. Are the HP ratings given by the manufacturer's hard and fast rules on the low side? It seems once I get into models where the weight gets up to 500 - 600+ lbs the minimum HP rating jumps up to 25+

Thanks,
-mark

/ Tiller advice for new Kubota B2650 owner #2  
If you are planning on using a hiller/bedder after tilling the width (covering your tracks) is not really an issue...a couple of cheap 'S' tines on the hiller/bedder tool bar will take care of the packed down tracks etc...

/ Tiller advice for new Kubota B2650 owner #3  
Last edited:
   / Tiller advice for new Kubota B2650 owner
Jeff, The Land Prides only seem to have 4 tines per flange. If I was to be honest, I don't know how much difference that will make, but it seems logical that 6 would be better than 4.

/pine, I have much to learn. I'm not sure what a hiller/bedder does, but it sounds like something else I need to get :)

/ Tiller advice for new Kubota B2650 owner #5  
The four tines are offset from one flange to the next. Offset tines give you complete tillage while reducing PTO load.

I doubt your <20-PTO horsepower Kubota B2650 could turn a six (6) tine/flange tiller except in perfectly moist soil with minimal rocks and roots.

http://www.landpride.com/products/181/rta15-series-rotary-tillers

Last edited: