Buying Advice Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors?

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #241  
Tier 4 that was never adopted by the military. Jee I wonder why. Now this. At this point they will just keep pushing new standards until a certain populous gets tired of it. Im sure this new tier will come with flaws and expense
The snowflake generation will not complain; the government is seriously out to protect them, secure them, tuck them in at night, and provide for them...so they can eat their ration of freeze-dried bug protein while huddling around their electric heater in the dark of winter during the black-out.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #242  
All this stuff is fear based. If they (the gov't.) can get you in fear then "they" can get you to act in a predictable way. (take this vaccine and that vaccine-don't forget the booster) You can always tell when a politician is lying--their lips are moving. There is coming a time when people will have had enough of all the lying and control imposed upon them by a tyrannical government. That time is Fastly approaching. Stay out of fear and stay in control...

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #243  
From what I recall forest fires pollute the air worse than anything else. Nobody cares about cleaning up the forest to help prevent forest fires. As for this emission BS. If it worked perfectly without any issues then I have no issue with it. Unfortunately that is not the case with the issues that I previously had with my tractor. The same goes for a lot of people that own diesel pickups. They can tell you about the expensive horror stories with their vehicles. You just have to love the feel good legislation that the Feds instill on the populace at our expense while many parts of the world pollute everything every way that they can.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #244  
All this stuff is fear based. If they (the gov't.) can get you in fear then "they" can get you to act in a predictable way. ...
Some of us are old enough to remember when OSHA first appeared. I initially thought OSHA was a good idea, putting engineering-type people into a position where they could make a difference for health. Well, when I took my car to the repair shop the chief mechanic complained to me about how he always felt terrible at the end of the day. I notice they did nothing to put the exhaust outside. So I called up OSHA and asked if they had some standards for carbon monoxide and methods for measurement and mitigation. I thought I'd be talking to a chemist or a safety engineer. Here's the conversation:

OSHA person: "This shop, what's the name and address. We'll get them shut down."

Me: "Wait a minute, I don't want them shut down. They're the folks who fix my car! I just want them to know the best way to avoid CO poisoning."

OSHA: "Doesn't matter. We have the authority to shut them down."

I wasn't talking to an engineer. I was talking to a petty hittler. (Misspelled to avoid auto-blotting.)

I told the chief mechanic he'd better get some of those hoses that carry the exhaust outside, hang the expense.

In more recent times my diesel-truck-repair guy (Jim Jessup, retired from Cummins) would always push the repaired vehicle out of the shop (by hand) before starting the engine. I'm always careful nobody's standing near the exhaust when starting my 25-horse Kubota. By the way, Jim recommends changing the fuel filter at every oil change.

Last edited:
   / Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #245  
I suspect the particulate problem is much higher in urban areas than in rural areas, so tractor controls will do little to help those most at risk.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #246  
If our government was serious about cutting air pollution they would ban all Chinese made products. They are the largest polluters in the world.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #247  
I have been watching environmental regulation progress since the 60's. Back then we had eagles dying out, rivers on fire, smog so bad no one could see or breath. Something had to be done. Today, all that is a distant memory and we are obsessing over things like tire dust. Every incremental improvement requires exponentially more time, effort, and money. Look at Sri Lanka if you want to see what the next step will be like. No level of regulation is ever enough, and the people pushing it never stop. I want to know: What is their end game? Tell us, what do you really want?

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #248  
I have been watching environmental regulation progress since the 60's. Back then we had eagles dying out, rivers on fire, smog so bad no one could see or breath. Something had to be done. Today, all that is a distant memory and we are obsessing over things like tire dust. Every incremental improvement requires exponentially more time, effort, and money. Look at Sri Lanka if you want to see what the next step will be like. No level of regulation is ever enough, and the people pushing it never stop. I want to know: What is their end game? Tell us, what do you really want?
I had assumed that the regulatory end game was to reduce the negative health consequences of all kinds of industrial processes - and particularly those processes that affect the rest of the world outside of their factory.

It would be nice if all manufacturing would clean up after themselves without having to be told to do so - that they would be responsible citizens who would clean up their own mess.
And I like to think that most do.

But just like children, there are always going to be some of them are just naturally more selfish than others. When what the selfish ones are doing begins to affect everyone else, what should the rest of society do? Just ignore them?
Do we just let them throw a temper fit and keep on making a mess?

rScotty

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #249  
Sure glad tractors last as long as they do, put new tires on the 1981 8700 Ford last year, new injectors on the1975 IH 500 E dozer a week ago And the New Holland and farmtrac are pre bs. Should be good for the rest of my life and my kids without tier anything.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #250  
Good thing I already own everything I need for the rest of my life.
Long live my stuff from the 50's and 60's!!
Same here, i even bought 4 more pre 95 tractors to stay ahead of that ridiculous emmision game. 3 belarus and 1 kubota. So my Son never has to buy new tractors in their life either.