Buying Advice Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors?

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #181  
When I operated my old tractor (model year 2000) I got a splitting sinus headache whenever I used it more than 30 minutes. I haven’t had any problems since replacing it with my new tier 4 tractor in 2021. I do wear a respirator when mowing dry dusty grass, but that’s it. The new tractor is clean enough that the sinus headaches are gone. I’m sure that a cab would also address the issue on the pre-emissions machines, but I’ve only had open station machines.

I’ve never had an issue with diesel fumes but, I wear a respirator when mowing in the dry too. Helps with my allergies.

Mike

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #182  
My 2015 RAM 1500 with it's little V6 diesel was a nice running truck and that engine performed great for me. That said it had the most obnoxious exhaust fumes I've ever had the misfortune to be around. If that pickup was backed up to an open door and left running the fumes from it were enough to gag a maggot. I've been around diesels for quite a while, I guess the first one I drove would have been in the early 60's and that pickup with it's super pollution controlled and strangled engine was the absolute worst to breath the exhaust from.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #183  
When it comes to breathing tractor exhaust fumes, that is highly dependent on the exhaust location. The only time I had issues with my pre tier-4 diesel (2005 John Deere 4120), which has a low forward exhaust, is when I’m standing in front and loading the bucket with firewood.

I solved that problem by shutting down the engine before I do that. Two of my old gas tractor’s (1951 Ford 8n and 1957 Farmall cub) have low rear exhausts, and I have never noticed any fumes from those from the seat, only when attaching implements while standing behind the tractors. That makes me appreciate the low forward location on the JD 4120.

The only open station tractors that I have noticed any fumes from the seat were my dad’s 1950 John Deere M and my old 1941 Allis Chalmers C, both of which had short vertical exhaust stacks on the hood.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #184  
Can't say I have ever had issues with exhaust fumes as well. Ours were always pointed to the sky and above the operators head. People who had issues. Maybe the exhaust had leaks and they were not aware or the stack wasn't high enough. My neighbors new bobcat has the exhaust going from the side of the block and up to the front of the tractor. Which i think is odd b/c it could be problematic if you were moving brush. Can't say I have ever had issues with the fumes. Id say dust and pollen have been my major complaints. Allergies suck. My current setup comes right off the block on the side. Im sure its to cut down on expense and really its less manifold to worry about.

As for the claims about people dying. Not sure I believe everything I see and read. I know that when it comes to math. It can be manipulated ever so lightly to get a different outcome. Not to mention when it comes to peoples health. There are several factors that play a role in death. Now Im not entirely opposed to better and cleaner running equipment but I also know when its becoming a hindrance.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #185  
Mechanical systems can become more reliable. New things are often unreliable.

Mechanical systems like emission control aren't unreliable because of some complicated financial or government policy or some sort of political conspiracy. New things are unreliable because they haven't had time to for all the problems to show up and find a fix. Simple as that. New things are often unreliable and they get better.

Giving changes time to become reliable even explains why today's 30 to 60 something generation don't have the patience to fix things mechanical. They got used to reliable machines, whereas the older generation of boomers grew up in an era dealing with mechanical things that were not. That old time society required we all be mechanics because we had to deal with worn out components.
In that process, words like starters, rear main seals, voltage regulators, valve jobs, throw-out bearings, window winders, piston rings, AC recharge, heater cores, bottom end bearings..... all became familiar names - and not a single one of those are a maintenance problem in today's machines.

Today, those things don't wear out at all. Today's mechanical problems are not from wear, they tend to be caused by manufacturing errors or deliberate economic shortcuts.

There are fewer mechanics today among the young generation because of laziness, but because there is less routine work to support them. The same thing will happen with the emissions equipment. It's not some sort of financial and governmental conspiracy....it's just the pace of progress.

The solution is to give it some time, or else use older equipment for awhile until the new ones become reliable.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #186  
Mechanical systems can become more reliable. New things are often unreliable.

Mechanical systems like emission control aren't unreliable because of some complicated financial or government policy or some sort of political conspiracy. New things are unreliable because they haven't had time to for all the problems to show up and find a fix. Simple as that. New things are often unreliable and they get better.

There are fewer mechanics today among the young generation because of laziness, but because there is less routine work to support them. The same thing will happen with the emissions equipment. It's not some sort of financial and governmental conspiracy....it's just the pace of progress.

The solution is to give it some time, or else use older equipment for awhile until the new ones become reliable.

rScotty

I will tend to disagree with quite abit of this. I do believe that in the last 10-15 years their has been a conspiracy among the "greenies" hippies that have gotten into the EPA and it's management to shove there agenda down our throats and make us accept it. Or suffer from the expenses of trying to fight a huge government bureaucracy with unlimited funds. The EPA, OSHA and ATF have become weaponized bureaucracies that have far exceeded their constitutional authority. By lazy worthless legislatures. This is not a political statement because both of our political parties have had a hand in this for their own nefarious reasons.

But you are welcome to your own opinion as wrong as I may see it.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #187  
I will tend to disagree with quite abit of this. I do believe that in the last 10-15 years their has been a conspiracy among the "greenies" hippies that have gotten into the EPA and it's management to shove there agenda down our throats and make us accept it. Or suffer from the expenses of trying to fight a huge government bureaucracy with unlimited funds. The EPA, OSHA and ATF have become weaponized bureaucracies that have far exceeded their constitutional authority. By lazy worthless legislatures. This is not a political statement because both of our political parties have had a hand in this for their own nefarious reasons.

I remember people saying the same thing in the 1970s when the air was brown and rivers caught fire. Turns out that Nixon’s clean air and water acts have made a big difference in our environment. Things are much better, but I still gag when I go to most cities and walk the sidewalks.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #188  

Your wanting to find someone to blame for what I see as a natural process doesn't bother or surprise me.

I think the same human limitation that causes progress to be slow also tends to have us looking for villains where there are none.... just people working at their own pace.

rScotty

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #189  
When it comes to breathing tractor exhaust fumes, that is highly dependent on the exhaust location.
^This.
My old John Deere 2020 diesel had a relatively short exhaust pipe above the muffler assembly so if the wind was coming from the right direction I could smell the exhaust. I solved that by picking up a long extension exhaust pipe at an auto parts store (they had a selection in several diameters and several different lengths). Stuck that long extension over the existing exhaust pipe and no more breathing fumes.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #190  
corporate tax benefits were installed a while back.
along with "the "greenies" hippies that have gotten into the EPA and it's management to shove there agenda down our throats and make us accept it" :
are the record profits of corporations worthy of this discussion as well? or are us "small guys" the beneficiaries of those tax breaks in addition to stockholders, etc? economics is not my strong point as some may point out. regards

Last edited: