Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #1  

Wormwood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5-111 SVL97-2 KX080-4s2
This is related to all newer tractor that meet tier III or Tier IV emissions. I can accept the new emissions and try to find warm fuzzy feeling I'm doing my part for the environment, however, for the life of me I can not understand why they have to direct the exhaust at the ground? A tractor in regeneration operating the backhoe at will surely set fire to anything that's in front of the exhaust!

So my question is, is it possible to convert the exhaust direction upward above the hood? Would you run into back pressure issues, loss of power, ecu thinking the dpf filter is clogged or even confusing the ecu into injecting too much def fluid? This assumes you have an available route to safely plumb the exhaust upward, I'm just trying to figure out if there's gonna be more issues than at first glance...

Wormwood

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #2  
I agree, would rather have the exhaust directed in the EPA's face.

Regards, Fred

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #3  
I have a Branson 4520R it uses only a DPF, no DEF injection to meet tier 4. Using the Backhoe the other day I notices a huge amount of heat coming from the front of the tractor. I too would be interested in any way to get that up and over the operators head... On my tractor I think its possible as the DPF/Muffler is mounted above the engine. I'll look at it when I have a chance...

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #4  
I don't think the direction of the pipe is going to make a noticeable difference in things that would affect regeneration. If the overall length of the pipe is going to be considerably longer, up size it a bit (example: 2" up to 2.25 perhaps?) to alow it to flow in a similar to stock fashion.

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #5  
i would assume that during regen that any soot particles you would want them to fall out and blow down instead of trying to force them up and out!

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #6  
The velocity of the exhaust flowing out the pipe should be plenty to keep the soot partials airborne and exit the system.

New semi trucks have the same dpf/def systems, when did you see the last semi tractor with out an upright stack?

My vote, with all due respect, is no issues going up and out.

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #7  
Mahindra and New Holland in certain models utilize a catalytic converter which do not require a Regen or DPF...

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #8  
A number of Tier IV models include an option for a vertical exhaust kit. The tractors are designed to accept either. It might be a more difficult endeavor on a machine not originally designed for a vertical exhaust.

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #9  
i would assume that during regen that any soot particles you would want them to fall out and blow down instead of trying to force them up and out!

The soot is burned and a little ash is left. This stays in the DPF. The ash accumulates it will fill the DPF. The manufacturer would suggest replace it. All that needs to be done is the ash removed. There are companies that can clean the ash out. Some DPF's have an cover on it to do this. Some do not.

/ Tier III & IV vertical exhaust conversion #10  
How often do these need to be cleaned or replaced? What companies offer tractors with them?