TICK fever!!!!!

/ TICK fever!!!!! #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I'm 67, always enjoyed working outside and don't mind hard work. About a week ago I started feeling week and tired, one night chills, so I went to a local clinic. I told them I've had lots of tick bites and wanted them to do bloodwork. They thought I was crazy, just heat exhaustion. Finally they drew blood, sent it off, then called couple days ago saying all was well.
I still had joint pains I thought must be muscle aches.
They called just now saying there was one final test, Rocky Mountain Spotted tick fever which came back positive!
They prescribed antibiotic (doxycycline I believe) which I'll start.
I knew something wasn't right! 20190612_102516.jpg

/ TICK fever!!!!! #2  
Sorry to hear that. I hate ticks. I haven't gotten any on me yet, that I know of, but I know a few people who got Lyme. I've pulled off dozens over just the last few years from some of our animals. I've switch tick meds for the dogs and cats, and started putting out tick tubes.

/ TICK fever!!!!! #3  
Glad you got them to test you. Praying for a speedy recovery.

This is what I use to avoid the critters: Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin (purchased it off of Amazon).

/ TICK fever!!!!! #4  
A while back I indicated our ticks weren't so bad this year. I spoke too soon. This has become one of our worst years. I had one burrowed in and I popped him out like a zit. Dug in with a sharp knife and got his head also. Fortunately - he had none of my blood yet.

I'll have to keep watch on how I feel.

I wish they could make something like Front Line that could be used on people. It sure works well on my Cocker Spaniel.

/ TICK fever!!!!! #5  
Glad they figured it out. Good thing you pressed them to look closer.

I am same age as you and so far I've been lucky not to have any reaction other than itching. Wife just pulled on off my back after I complained of itching for two days.

/ TICK fever!!!!! #6  
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Hope for a speedy recovery. The tick situation seems to be bad here this year.
I have an allergic reaction to tick bites. Had one on my head and my face swelled up had to take shots for the reaction.
I use the repellant and try to check regularly.
Oh and its also a bad year for black and deer flies. More than Ive ever seen.

/ TICK fever!!!!! #7  
Fuddy- I am happy to read that things worked out. Be careful outdoors. Doxycycline causes increased sensitivity to sunburn.

Ticks can carry all kinds of diseases: Tickborne Diseases of the United States | Ticks | CDC

This is the worst tick year ever around here. My 160# dog is a great tick magnet during our daily walks around our property. Bravecto® works great on him. It repeals ticks and kills them if they bite. Trouble is once they have contact with him they are attracted to me. I use DEET. I have that Sawyer Picaridin solution, but have yet to treat my outdoor clothing.

/ TICK fever!!!!! #8  
Glad you got them to test you. Praying for a speedy recovery.

This is what I use to avoid the critters: Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin (purchased it off of Amazon).

I'm also a big fan of Sawyer products. Along with the Picaridin, we use the Ultra 30 lotion & Permethrin on clothes & gear. Unfortunately, you just can't take chances with all the nasty diseases critters are carrying these days.

/ TICK fever!!!!! #9  
I'm 67, always enjoyed working outside and don't mind hard work. About a week ago I started feeling week and tired, one night chills, so I went to a local clinic. I told them I've had lots of tick bites and wanted them to do bloodwork. They thought I was crazy, just heat exhaustion. Finally they drew blood, sent it off, then called couple days ago saying all was well.
I still had joint pains I thought must be muscle aches.
They called just now saying there was one final test, Rocky Mountain Spotted tick fever which came back positive!
They prescribed antibiotic (doxycycline I believe) which I'll start.
I knew something wasn't right!View attachment 608803

Yep. Been there, done that. Antibiotic will knock that right out. Ticks are bad this year.