Three point hitch and bucket

/ Three point hitch and bucket #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
Good morning, I am considering adding the three point hitch and slip scoop (bucket) to my Steiner 440. I have seen lots of videos of Ventrac with bucket on back but not many of Steiner. Is there any difference in the two machines as far as rear attachments go? I am planning on running the power rake on front and bucket on back for gravel work in the future. Is there any problem with loading the machine on a trailer with rear attachments (do they lift high enough not to scrape the ramp)? Also as a side note, how has everyones experience with parts, supplies and dealers gone for both Ventrac and Steiner since they were both bought out. Thanks and have a good day.

/ Three point hitch and bucket #2  
Have the set up on the Ventrac, I had the bucket on the back and the stump grinder on the front. I couldn't turn around enough to use the bucket very good, a real pain..... I did make a ripper for the rear on the 3 point and use it with the bucket on the front. I added a hydraulic top link and it works great with the ripper now I can dig a lot of dirt with minimum effort..... Jim

/ Three point hitch and bucket
Thanks Jim, do you mean you could not physically turn around while seated to see what you were doing or the tractor had issues turning with the rear attachment?

/ Three point hitch and bucket #4  
Ventrac has an optional rear remote kit so you can run hydraulics to the rear attachments. I’m not sure if Steiner has something similar. Just something you might want to look into.

/ Three point hitch and bucket #5  
Thanks Jim, do you mean you could not physically turn around while seated to see what you were doing or the tractor had issues turning with the rear attachment?

Yes, but how can you use it and work the levers and steer it and be turned around in the seat while going backwards? you sure can't grade that way, I lived most of my younger days on a farm so know how to run a tractor...... Jim

/ Three point hitch and bucket
Yes, but how can you use it and work the levers and steer it and be turned around in the seat while going backwards? you sure can't grade that way, I lived most of my younger days on a farm so know how to run a tractor...... Jim
I am sure you know how to run a tractor, i wasnt implying that you couldnt. I was simply trying to understand your statement. I have lived on a farm my whole life also, but I have never driven a ventrac or steiner with the rear attachments. Sorry if you felt insulted or something.

/ Three point hitch and bucket #7  
No not at all, but 3 point attachments are made to use going forward, with a bucket you have to be going backwards and steering plus controlling the bucket.... I used it best from the ground walking a long side of it, it is near worthless back on the 3 point..... Jim

/ Three point hitch and bucket #8  
How about a 3 point dirt scoop?
It is reversible:
3pt scoop.jpg

/ Three point hitch and bucket #9  
Not sure if this will work on your Steiner but I use this 3 pt to SSQA adapter to put a FEL bucket (or any other SSQA attachment) on the 3 pt hitch:

813j1vT8WgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I back into a pile of material and once loaded, use a hydraulic top link cylinder to tip the bucket back.