Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine

/ Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #1  

walker450

Platinum Member
Tractor
M5040, BX25D, F2880, ZD1211, GR2120
Asking for my uncle:

Anyone have experience with Skags or Kubota gas engines?

2014 72" Scag Turf Tiger with a 3 cylinder Kubota liquid cooled engine, 900 hours.

Owner states it is down on power and believes it to be the distributor.

Would like to hear others experiences before purchasing.

I am not 100% sure what engine it had but could find out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331_145204_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240331_145204_Chrome.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20240331_145209_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240331_145209_Chrome.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 50
   / Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #2  
I didn't know Kubota made a 3 cylinder gas engine but what do I know.

/ Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #3  
That’s a Kubota dual fuel LP and Gasoline engine. I fear sellers always “believe” it’s the cheapest fix possible, but they are unwilling to do it… because it’s more complex.

I have no patience for people selling equipment that supposedly needs a quick/cheap fix… but are only willing to push the risk to the buyer, on their word.

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #4  
They are unique. You would probably find the Kubota dealer is the only game in town for repairs. Maybe run it by them.

/ Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #5  
I didn't know Kubota made a 3 cylinder gas engine but what do I know.

At one point in time Kubota made a 3 cylinder liquid cooled iron block gas motor that was basically identical to the diesel 3 cylinders except they were gas.

/ Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #6  
I have a Scag with a Kawasaki 26hp liquid cooled mower that been a never ending project. I bought it brand new, and it worked great for a few years, but then the safety sensors started acting up. I never knew if I could get it to start when I wanted to mow. This went on for years. I also had issues with the PTO switch, the PTO, the key, and everything electrical with it. A couple years ago, I removed every wire on it and then just used the bare minimum that I needed to start it. Since then, I haven't had any issues, and I enjoy mowing with it again. I would never buy another Scag.

Does the Kubota gas engine actually have a distributor? I never seen one on a small engine before. If there is a power issue with the mower, it's almost always fuel related. Filters, fuel lines, or even the choke being out of adjustment, are probably where you'll find the problem.

/ Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #7  
My comment on that motor is, good motor but thirsty!!

SR

/ Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #8  
Maybe it's that the local Kubota dealer doesn't care for them by me. I get a call every so often on these for service- intermittent this or that. I send them away.

/ Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine
Maybe it's that the local Kubota dealer doesn't care for them by me. I get a call every so often on these for service- intermittent this or that. I send them away.
Thanks for that info tomplum, can you clarify why you don't work on them? Are they trouble compared to others?

/ Thoughts on Skag with Kubota Gas Engine #10  
I don't have enough info to say that. I don't really think there are many around by me. Just what I pick up from the occasional call about wanting a different option than the local dealer, who people tend to like BTW. Aren't they like at least 20 years old? It always seems to be an intermittent issue, or baffling to the last guy they took it to.
For myself, I have no service info, no parts and no real experience on the engine for someone that wasn't a regular customer anyways.