Thought I'd share this on wood ash

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #11  
Many years ago I read that wood ash is great for apple trees so I’ve been dumping 5 gallons around my apple tree every year since reading that, can’t really tell if it has helped anything but it sure doesn’t seem to have hurt anything.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #12  
Is there a difference between hard wood ash and softwood ash?

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #14  
Hardwood ash is a lot heavier than softwood ash, as far as fertilizer value I have no idea which one might possibly be better.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #15  
We have always had "acid rain" from coal fired power plants "up wind" from where I live.

It was so bad in the 1980's, that the big 3 car manufacturers were sending out letters.
The letter explained that the pitting on your windshield was from acid rain, and was not a warrantable car defect.

Well, the coal fired generating plants must be shut down now.
All summer, I monitored my rain water,, the pH is 7.0 (even now)
and the ppm of contaminants (or anything else) is below 8ppm.

My blueberries have been sickly over the last 10 years of trying to grow them,
in spite of all the "remedies" offered on line (wood chips, acidifying organic additives,, etc,,)
my pH check of the soil ALWAYS showed 7.0, no matter WHAT I added,,

I decided,, I was gonna KILL them, or fix them, I bought a GALLON of muriatic acid!!
(It was the high powered "swimming pool" stuff)

I dumped the entire gallon around three plants (all that survived the planting of close to 20 plants)

THEN, I ordered 120 pounds of elemental sulfur from Lowes, they offered free shipping.
It came in two 60 pound boxes.

I poured several cups of sulfur around the same plants, and tilled it in the soil..
That was 2020.
I did not see much change.
Well, in 2021, after over 10 years of trying, the blueberries took off,, now growing like weeds.
Sulfur does nothing until some microbes eat it, converting it into acid.
I believe the sulfur was basically dormant for a year, that is why my overload of acidifying zeal did not kill the plants.

Most plants prefer slightly acidic soil, with my sandy soil, and neutral rain, my soil pH quickly goes to 7.0.
I may need to get more acidification for everything I grow.

I did put some sulfur on a spot of pasture as a test,, but, I am still waiting to see any change,,
NO MORE LIME FOR ME,, as far as trying to change pH,,,

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #17  
   / Thought I'd share this on wood ash #18  
From above article:

Most wood ash contains a good percentage, about 25 percent, of calcium carbonate, an ingredient in garden lime. If your soil is very acidic (5.5 or lower), amending with wood ash can raise your soil pH.

On the other hand, if your soil is neutral or alkaline, to begin with, adding wood ash could raise the pH high enough to interfere with the plant's ability to take in nutrients. Wood ash should also be avoided around acid-loving plants like rhododendrons and blueberries.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash
My experience is no ill effects happen from over applying ash. I’ve had it literally piled on my grass with no side effects.
Not gonna call you wrong. I too have played with ash with out knowing what I was doing and the grass is still there.
All I can tell you for sure is an over abundance of certain minerals can be bad for plants.