Thought I'd share this on wood ash

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
Wood Ash.

One gallon wood ash can cover a 200 Foot Square area (10 X 20)

Of that gallon over the 200 Sq Feet the calcium carbonate in it will alter the pH raising raise it about .02 pH points.

Put half a cup of sulfur in that gallon, and it’ll neutralize the alkalinity. The bacteria will convert it to the oxoanion called sulfate and in that form the plants can use it.

So with Sulfur and ash you will have fertilized with everything the plants need excepting only nitrogen.

Ash stimulates microbial activities and mineralization in the soil by improving both the soil’s physical and chemical properties. Improved soil quality from the nutrients found in wood ash can lead to better growing conditions for vegetation. Wood ash has a high alkalinity or neutralizing capacity. It's about 9 - 11 pH. Because of this and elevated contents in alkaline earth elements, wood ash can raise the pH of acidic soils. Wood ash reacts more quickly in raising soil pH than lime.

Ash is a direct source for phosphorous, calcium, magnesium and potassium. It can correct soil nutrient deficiencies. Ash can reduce the total carbon and nitrogen in a soil by increasing the solubility of organic carbon and the nitrification rate. So be careful how much you use.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #3  
I throw all of my wood stove ashes on the grass from my front and back porch. It’s a pretty heavy application and that’s always the greenest grass in the spring.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #4  
How much is too much? And how can you tell?

All our wood stove ash (call it 3 gal per week) goes onto the gardens or onto the compost.

I really like to see the black char in the soil. You know, that char is natures NANO TUBES?
They hold beneficial bacteria in a way unique to all other forms. It has to do with the small distances of nano structures.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #6  
I'm wondering how wood ash might effect the Asian jumping worm problem. Hoping for the best....

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash
How much is too much? And how can you tell?
Well you already know not to over fertilize, and you know why. 1 gallon for 200 is a good starting point coz your ash may be higher in mineral content than others. Ash is not a terribly consistent product. The pH varies dramatically. So I'd start with that and if you can get away with more then great.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #8  
Well you already know not to over fertilize, and you know why. 1 gallon for 200 is a good starting point coz your ash may be higher in mineral content than others. Ash is not a terribly consistent product. The pH varies dramatically. So I'd start with that and if you can get away with more then great.

My experience is no ill effects happen from over applying ash. I’ve had it literally piled on my grass with no side effects.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #9  
My experience is no ill effects happen from over applying ash. I’ve had it literally piled on my grass with no side effects.
It just takes a little longer for it to dissipate into the soil. Just like burn piles. In about no time at all the grass will grow right over them.

/ Thought I'd share this on wood ash #10  
So with Sulfur and ash you will have fertilized with everything plants need except nitrogen.

Your wood ash may contain adequate amounts of POTASSIUM. My wood ash does not.