Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ?

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #11  
I wouldnt buy a chinese import. I paid 8500 for a 1300hr kh41. Small 3500lb machine that came with a hydraulic auger and still had original paint on the bucket shanks...but that was 2019. It has just under 2,000hrs now and I only did about 4 1/2 day jobs with it.

You can also buy new parts for a 30yr old name brand machine.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #12  
I’ve been contemplating the same thing. I think if I can find a deal I would jump at it plus you can possibly sell the three point backhoe to recoup some cash. Problem is just trying to find something affordable that’s not beat to death.
Been looking at the Chinese stuff lately have you checked that out?
The little 1 ton machines are popping up everywhere for around 10 grand brand new. The slightly larger diesel models are around 17. I’m thinking something more in the 2 to 4 ton range would be ideal but the price really jumps. Check out Groundhog Excavators on YouTube. Some videos about what looks like halfway decent Chinese imports.
its a bit of a balancing act, we got one eventually ( an excavator ) after looking for quite some time, i missed one a while back by an hour, the one we finally got we got for a reasonable price because it had electrical issues and was stored outside and had a lot of weather damage, mainly rust on the cab where the guttering was full of moss and didn't drain the rainwater. fortunately electrics is my trade and that part was easy to address, the cab i was able to tidy up with a wire wheel and some body filler. it was an older machine but hadn't done a lot of work, 2400 hours. bushings are all pretty good and all the zerks took grease however the dozer front pin needed some freeing up.

they are a pain to mobile ( slow ) , take a cut lunch and a thermos if your ever need to mobile any real distance ;-)

oh and i are in the process of replacing the front windscreen with polycarbonate after a tree stump rolled back and smashed the glass :-(

1698055350162.png

Last edited:
   / Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #13  
I find myself using the mini-x more hours than the tractor! The thing is so much more maneuverable than a backhoe.

Three suggestions for your consideration: Get a thumb. Get a thumb. And...get a thumb!

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #14  
You might want to check out k&r equipment. They seem to have a good selection. I have been looking at them pretty hard. Check out the YouTube vids they have.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #15  
check out K&R at microtrackhoe.com

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #16  
A number of years ago I bought a used KX121 with a thumb. It had 6k ish hours and I put maybe 50 more a year on to for 5 or 6 years. Bought it for 16500 and sold it for 23,500.. Regretted selling it as I really couldn't replace its for that now. Just got a new Bobcat 35I .. Really really nice machine..not as strong as the 121 but has AC, radio, heat,,,, Just a nicer more comfortable machine to work in.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #17  
I want one too, but now that I used a 35,000lb track hoe to move trees and dig stumps, I want one of those instead.
As with large tractors, larger excavators sell for disproportionally less than small excavators, too.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #18  
I think once they are big enough that you can't move them with a big pickup they get less expensive. Then when they get big enough to need disassembled to move they get even cheaper.

I've had a big track hoe and a medium dozer at my place for several months. I think I could come up with jobs for them for the next several years just on my little 11.5 acres. I've never even used a backhoe but there is no way it would do 1/4 of what I have been doing with the track hoe. Making a pile then flattening it as you walk up it so you can work from above. That would take forever on a backhoe I bet. Uneven ground is no problem on tracks, maybe moreso with minis but should still be better than the CUT backhoe.