Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ?

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #1  

BlueBerry Farmer

Tractor
MF 1720
I’m thinking of purchasing a mini Excavator to help on the farm and a cemetery that I look after. I currently own a small tractor with a backhoe attachment. It’s to far away for me to rent an excavator. The backhoe in comparison is slow in that one has to get off, wheel the seat around then drive the tractor ahead to get another bit then wheel the seat around to operate the hoe. I could also use the extra reach of a mini for a yearly erosion control issue that is impossible with my tractor hoe. In the cemetery, the local contractor with his mini does a lot of damage that I have to repair and he gets paid well for his services. If I was at the controls I certainly reduce much of the damage.

Pros and cons, the tractor is much quicker to transport around the farm and I can drive it to the cemetery, I would have to float a mini to the cemetery. Ditching could be accomplished with the tractor hoe. Culverts could be dug as well with the tractor hoe.
I want to keep a road/fire break open which would be very time consuming with the tractor hoe.
I have a couple other projects that are very difficult for the tractor hoe but would be much easier with a mini excavator. Seems that the value of a mini excavator remains high if maintained through out its life which is a big plus. One might earn a few $$ with it as well as from the cemetery jobs.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #2  
You are in the same position as was I, 7 months ago. My Kubota B3200 has the same type of back hoe as your tractor, and I had jobs the tractor/backhoe could not attempt. I bought what I believe is a well cared for Yanmar mini. Driving around the farm, I continue to be glad for the backhoe for quick and easy jobs not worth getting out the Yanmar. But when the job is big, or heavy lifting involved, I reach for the Yanmar
Only you can decide if the dollars involved will give you the value you need. Here, moving the excavator off the farm is an expensive proposition.
As an aside, cemetery management should confront the issue of the mess left by the mini operator. Either that operator does a better job cleaning up, or you need to be paid extra to clean up his mess. Right now, there is no incentive for the mini operator to, as my father used to say "Eric, don't leave tracks"

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #3  
Just my opinion, but if it fits in your budget you'll be more than happy with the mini. I used to have a MF 2310 and an RK 37, both with a backhoe. They both really did save me a lot a work but it did get pretty old having to set up and reset over and over again for just about any job you did. Plus adding in the time to attach and remove the hoe caused me to put off a few projects until I had several lined up.

Recently I came across a really good deal on a used mini. It's really not even fair to compare it to a small backhoe attachment. It's so much more efficient that what ever time you save driving the tractor across your farm, you'll more than makes up for it in dig time.

Again if it's in your budget, I would definitely start watching for a deal.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #4  
Digging graves would help pay for the mini. I remember when I was a kid back in the 60's, my father managed a small cemetery and when the farm slowed enough he would dig graves occasionally by hand for extra money. He would make the arrangements with the Funeral Director to skip the excavator. I remember as a kid looking at the hole he made and thinking of all of that dirt that he moved by hand.
You couldn't find anybody that would do that now. I guess that hard labor didn't hurt him too much since he made it to 93.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ?
You are in the same position as was I, 7 months ago. My Kubota B3200 has the same type of back hoe as your tractor, and I had jobs the tractor/backhoe could not attempt. I bought what I believe is a well cared for Yanmar mini. Driving around the farm, I continue to be glad for the backhoe for quick and easy jobs not worth getting out the Yanmar. But when the job is big, or heavy lifting involved, I reach for the Yanmar
Only you can decide if the dollars involved will give you the value you need. Here, moving the excavator off the farm is an expensive proposition.
As an aside, cemetery management should confront the issue of the mess left by the mini operator. Either that operator does a better job cleaning up, or you need to be paid extra to clean up his mess. Right now, there is no incentive for the mini operator to, as my father used to say "Eric, don't leave tracks"
Thanks for the reply, you got some good points.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ?
Just my opinion, but if it fits in your budget you'll be more than happy with the mini. I used to have a MF 2310 and an RK 37, both with a backhoe. They both really did save me a lot a work but it did get pretty old having to set up and reset over and over again for just about any job you did. Plus adding in the time to attach and remove the hoe caused me to put off a few projects until I had several lined up.

Recently I came across a really good deal on a used mini. It's really not even fair to compare it to a small backhoe attachment. It's so much more efficient that what ever time you save driving the tractor across your farm, you'll more than makes up for it in dig time.

Again if it's in your budget, I would definitely start watching for a deal.
Good points as well, thanks for the reply.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #7  
If you can afford it and it won't break the bank, go for it. You won't regret it. Every time I get on mine and knock a tree down or dig a stump it brings a smile to my face. They are really capable machines.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #8  
I don’t know of anyone that regrets buying a mini x. You’ll find a lot more use then you think.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #9  
No farm and no cemetery here but I bought a little 3500lb kubota mini ex a few years ago because I had the money and needed to redo 1.5 septics. Did one complete septics and removed a whole bunch of stumps such a small machine had no business removing. I also cleared and graded a 700ft driveway along with a large parking area and 50x60ft cabin site. I will prob never be with out one now. They are just so handy. There better than a tractor for grading small areas, digging trenches, removing and stacking brush, burning brush piles. They just dont move alot of material very far and cant take 3pt attachments.

I have an auger attachment for my mini that's hydraulic driven..man is that thing the bees knees. Down pressure, side pressure and reverse. I even set 18ft tall 12in telephone poles in the ground with this little 3500lb machine.

/ Thinking about purchasing a mini Excavator for the farm ? #10  
I’ve been contemplating the same thing. I think if I can find a deal I would jump at it plus you can possibly sell the three point backhoe to recoup some cash. Problem is just trying to find something affordable that’s not beat to death.
Been looking at the Chinese stuff lately have you checked that out?
The little 1 ton machines are popping up everywhere for around 10 grand brand new. The slightly larger diesel models are around 17. I’m thinking something more in the 2 to 4 ton range would be ideal but the price really jumps. Check out Groundhog Excavators on YouTube. Some videos about what looks like halfway decent Chinese imports.