Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #492  
So if the very first automobiles were actually electric, how did they charge the battery back then?

I was reading yesterday that 37% of U.S. vehicles are parked on the street overnight because many don’t have garages or driveways in the cities. How will they recharge their electric vehicle?

I don’t know a lot about EV so do they have a way that as the wheels turn it recharges a battery like an alternator?

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #493  
Maybe parking meters with electrical outlets like in some cold climates?

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #494  
I can image parking meters in NYC with outlets running whole buildings :cool:

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #495  
So if the very first automobiles were actually electric, how did they charge the battery back then?

I was reading yesterday that 37% of U.S. vehicles are parked on the street overnight because many don’t have garages or driveways in the cities. How will they recharge their electric vehicle?

I don’t know a lot about EV so do they have a way that as the wheels turn it recharges a battery like an alternator?
Ride the bus.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #496  
Used one of these on a regular basis many years ago.
That's a new one to me. I used just about every tool known to man on hay back when I was growing up. What was that for?

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #497  
Ride the bus.

Had a letter in the paper yesterday explaining how re-generation on a train could acturally produce more power on train in-bound than it used outbound. Had to think about it. Yep, run empty train from say Lewiston Idaho, load grain in Nezperce, idaho and return. The outbound climb is some 3,000 ft so the load pushing coming back would do it.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #498  

See the first law of thermodynamics...!

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #500  

One of the local cities will pay residents to install a curbside charger. It has a separate billing setup, so anyone can use the charger.

When you don't own an electric vehicle, I think that there is a reasonable concern about range anxiety, and charging. After you own one, you realize that for most people most of the time, it isn't an issue. I'm not saying that electric cars are for everyone right now, but at the same time, for most people it would work just fine. I have a plug in hybrid that, for me, 90% of the time gets by on its 35 mile range battery.

The phrase is "regenerative braking" and all electric vehicles and hybrids do it to recharge the battery when slowing down or braking. For most cars, it captures 90% of the energy.

All the best,

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.