Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #301  
I believe our county school system had a special class in a remote-ish building for pregnant girls at the ‘big’ HS. We had three high schools, two small rural ones (1-12) and the big school in the county seat. The PG girls went to town. Rarely saw them again. Or they made a quick trip to Atlanta. :( Or mostly got married quick. Abstinence was the rule of the day …. with teenager, and big cars back then with real back seats. Righttttt. :giggle:
I loved our '62 Rambler Classic, with the seats that folded back into a double bed. At the same time, the only place you could buy rubbers was at the drug store, and they were behind the counter where comparison shopping was impossible. I was in my 20s before I learned that there was such a thing as a French tickler.

In a small high school, with 22 girls in my class, two of them got pregnant. That's a rate of about 10%. That was two girls who had their kids. If any had an abortion, I never heard about it. Abortion was not legal in my state, and the closest state where it was legal was Montana. Sex education was limited to a film on VD. Parents were supposed to teach the kids about sex, and of course they didn't. I think the pill was available in the early '60s, but not for single women or minors. Prescriptions were limited to adult married women only.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #302  
Had to be a few decades ago now, but NC passed a law preventing children from riding in the bed of a truck, though if they have a seat belt, there is an adult with them, part of a parade, farm work, or an emergency, it is legal. However, to get that law passed, a couple of counties in Eastern NC were excluded. The representatives would only vote for the law if their counties did not have to comply.

When we lived in the city, there was an idiot father that would let his kids, and neighborhood kids, ride in the bed of his truck. The problem was not that they were in the bed but that he would let them sit on the rails. Sitting in the bed is not really that dangerous, and I did it quite a bit as a kid, but sitting on the bed rails is nuts.

Later,
Dan
I knew two people who died from riding in an open pickup bed. One was a teenage cousin, who died many years ago when he fell out and hit his head. The other was a neighbor farmer who was transporting a refrigerator and standing in the bed to hold it vertical. He hit the pavement at 50 mph, and died of multiple injuries. One of my high school classmates lost her father to a tractor rollover, which is why I always use the ROPS.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #303  
Does anybody know when Velveeta quit being packaged in wooden boxes? When I was a little kid, Velveeta boxes were a common small part holder in the shop.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #304  
Does anybody know when Velveeta quit being packaged in wooden boxes? When I was a little kid, Velveeta boxes were a common small part holder in the shop.
Wow, I never saw that packaging, neither in a store, nor in a workshop. A quick web search suggests perhaps sometime after WWII?

All the best,

Peter

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #305  
Piling into coaches pickup after a game was often more fun than the game... could fit the whole team!

In Scouts we had paper drives and the troup would go from neighborhood to neighborhood in the back of the truck...

A full container of newsprint netted around $20... those were the days... I would say kept us off the street but canvassing neighborhoods put us on the street!

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #306  
Piling into coaches pickup after a game was often more fun than the game... could fit the whole team!

In Scouts we had paper drives and the troup would go from neighborhood to neighborhood in the back of the truck...

A full container of newsprint netted around $20... those were the days... I would say kept us off the street but canvassing neighborhoods put us on the street!
When i lived in Montana in the 1980’s, the scouts had annual rattlesnake roundups. Snakes were sold for venum harvesting. Try doing that today with these wimpy kids and parents.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #307  
When i lived in Montana in the 1980’s, the scouts had annual rattlesnake roundups. Snakes were sold for venum harvesting. Try doing that today with these wimpy kids and parents.

We still have one here; I believe Wynoka does also.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #309  
In the seventies in Louisiana you could bring your guns, knives and bows to school where they had classes in weapon safety and proper handling.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #310  
Yeah ... Ohio in 70's ... Hunter Safety Training as a HS PE class. Shot 22's for marksmanship & wound up with a State Hunter Safety cert at the end of it. Also, in second grade Cub Scouts HAD to always carry a knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.