Things to do in Northern California?

/ Things to do in Northern California?
Taxpayers always welcome!

I enjoyed hearing/seeing my state through the eyes of a first time visitor!
My wife took care of lodging and flights (I didn't get off that easy with food, gas and having 4 dogs in a kennel for 14 days LOL).

Point is, I've heard all about hotel tax from California from my wife. California sure does tax people visiting, almost fell over dead when she told me what the tax alone came to for our visit.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #352  
California sure does tax people visiting
Keep California green. Bring money! :)

The difference between California and Oregon is, Oregon always follows this with 'but don't even think about staying here'.

While a good part of California's economy for nearly 200 years has been selling land and improvements to newcomers.

This has worked a little too well. All the infrastructure is overloaded. Natural resources too.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #353  
I've got to ask, where was the pic taken and in what month?

According to the CalTrans site I found it on, it was Ebbets pass in May. They were still plowing trying to get the road open.

According to the CalTrans site I found it on, it was Ebbets pass in May. They were still plowing trying to get the road open.
Thanks.

My son is rubbing off on me. If I may ask another question, what kind of car in your avatar?

Sorry, on Route 1, my son was rattleing off so many foreign cars that we saw, I was actually impressed. Didn't realize I didn't know how many different "sport cars" are out there. He knows my dream car is a 911 (from the 80's LOL).

/ Things to do in Northern California? #355  
My wife took care of lodging and flights (I didn't get off that easy with food, gas and having 4 dogs in a kennel for 14 days LOL).

Point is, I've heard all about hotel tax from California from my wife. California sure does tax people visiting, almost fell over dead when she told me what the tax alone came to for our visit.
Taxes on everything and city taxes on cell phone, utilities, etc. can be significant…

Hotel Tax is just one more…

Realize there are people whose sole purpose in life is to come up with new ways to tax…

/ Things to do in Northern California? #356  
Thanks.

My son is rubbing off on me. If I may ask another question, what kind of car in your avatar?

Sorry, on Route 1, my son was rattleing off so many foreign cars that we saw, I was actually impressed. Didn't realize I didn't know how many different "sport cars" are out there. He knows my dream car is a 911 (from the 80's LOL).
My car is a Scion FR-S that my son and I have built up for canyon carving and light track use. The pic is me going through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca on a track day. My son has a 94 Miata that is a track car (it's punishing to drive on the street).

Looks like you guys rolled into Monterey just as "Car Week" was winding down. Car week is kinda a big deal in the car world, especially classics/exotics. If you want to spend 20 million on an old Buggati, Car Week is where you can do that. While sports cars and such are certainly not rare in the area, the timing of your visit, they were probably everywhere.

My car is a Scion FR-S that my son and I have built up for canyon carving and light track use. The pic is me going through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca on a track day. My son has a 94 Miata that is a track car (it's punishing to drive on the street).

Looks like you guys rolled into Monterey just as "Car Week" was winding down. Car week is kinda a big deal in the car world, especially classics/exotics. If you want to spend 20 million on an old Buggati, Car Week is where you can do that. While sports cars and such are certainly not rare in the area, the timing of your visit, they were probably everywhere.
Honestly, your first paragraph was like speaking Egyptian to me ;)

You second paragraph however makes complete sense. My son told me he saw a couple of Buggati's, but I'm not certain what one looks like LOL

Yes, it seemed like 911's were a dime a dozen when we were there. Even a couple were sitting in our hotel parking lot (and my son explaining the difference between a 911S and a Carreara GT LOL).

Like I said, I knew my boy had a good time there. Honestly, the cars were neat to look at.

C1.png

C2.png

/ Things to do in Northern California? #358  
Here's a better picture of mine. I think it's a beautiful car, but still, no Ferrari. But if I wad it up at the track, it's not going to ruin my life either :D
1693426781318.png

Here's a better picture of mine. I think it's a beautiful car, but still, no Ferrari. But if I wad it up at the track, it's not going to ruin my life either :D
View attachment 818722
Although I don't know cars, you and I think along the same page if you wad it up!

By the way, it is a GREAT looking car!

Son came home last night from the movies, he needed to work on his car for some reason. I was asleep, but my wife let me know he was in the driveway working on his car pushing midnight. I had to lay down some rules, no working on your car at night time in the drivway with the flood lights on LOL I know it's just me, I was never obsessive about cars when I was a teen.

That said, since I'm getting old, I'm getting a better understanding of why when I see a "old person" driving a sports car, I can be passing them out in my truck doing 60 hauling my mower ;)

/ Things to do in Northern California? #360  
I have been to the Monterrey historic races and the classic. My uncle had his 30' era Rolls up for sale.
Seeing cars worth north of $4millions racing full out is pretty wild and watching the wheel lift on the corners.....
Very cool you got to see this as many of the cars are rare enough you might not ever see them anywhere else.
I have some great stories from those visits and staying in Carmel.
My cousin lived on the other side of the raceway for a few years and her and her then boyfriend volunteered at the track.