Things to do in Northern California?

/ Things to do in Northern California? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
First family vacation in a while. Planning on two weeks around Yosemite middle of August with wife and son (before he ships out for basic). Boy always seemed enamored with Yosemite, so we're planning the trip around that national park.

Flying into Sacramento, renting a vehicle. Wife has the town picked out, forget the name, but not to far from the park.

Used to spend a lot of time out in Idaho and Montana in my youth Kayaking, but always traveled early may because it seemed the tourists (which we will be a part of) exploded in those states right after Memorial day.

1 - How bad will the crowds be? (hate to ask, but have to)

2 - Looks to be a 8 hour drive to the redwood forest from Yosemite. Always wondered what that place is like myself, and would it be worth the drive?

3 - What other things would one consider worth doing and visiting around that area. I'm blind when it comes to northern California (anything North of San Diego).

/ Things to do in Northern California? #2  

I never been in the USA but I am planning to go for the first time this summer, these are some of the things I would be personally be interesting on seeing If I would go to northern California...

I would definitely go see the redwood forest... I understand 8h is no joke, is it worth it for that drive ?? I don't know, I guess it depend if you could hit other attraction along the way

The Mystery Spot
Located just outside of Santa Cruz, the Mystery Spot is a gravitational anomaly that attracts visitors from across the country. Come witness this strange attraction for yourself, then take a fun photo to show your friends. This mysterious spot will amaze you!

Livermore Valley Wine Country
45 minutes east of San Jose, Livermore Valley Wine Country welcomes visitors with over 40 wineries open for tastings and tours of the vineyards. Amid picturesque canyons, ridges and outposts of suburbia, the lush vines and convivial tasting rooms define the quality of life in the Livermore Valley. Welcoming tasting rooms showcase wine varietals and offer year-round activities.

Big Sur and bixby bridge
Big Sur is part of California’s central coast between Carmel and San Simeon. It has numerous state parks with breathtaking, unmatched coastal views, making it a must-visit area for outdoor enthusiasts. The area is a favorite among campers, hikers, bikers and backpackers. A must-see location is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park to McWay Falls, so gorgeous that it appears untouched. The area is home to one of California's most picturesque attractions, the Bixby Bridge. Dare to cross, but before you do, pull off and take it all in - a true bucket-list moment!

Big Basin Redwoods State Park / Big Trees Narrow Gauge Railroad
Big Basin Redwoods is California’s oldest state park and is home to ancient coast redwoods that are more than 50 feet around and stand as tall as the Statue of Liberty. The magnificent redwood groves are an amazing sight, but if that’s not enough, the park also offers spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean./
Travel over trestles, through towering redwood groves and up a winding narrow-gauge grade as conductors narrate the history of Roaring Camp depot, the railroad and the forest. These railways are among the oldest and most historic lines in California. This route, which previously carried lumber, now takes passengers through the redwoods and drops you off along the Pacific Coast, at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

Lassen Volcanic National Park,
Lassen Peak, the dominant volcano in the park, last erupted in 1914, and it didn’t stop rumbling until 1917.

However, since 1921, the volcano has been dormant.

Why You Should Go​

The park is home to four different types of volcanoes.

Even though they haven’t erupted in 50 years, they are still regarded as active.

The hydrothermal activities at the park give an insight into how volcanoes work.

The Crystalline lakes at the park are great places to rest.

What To Do​

You can take a walk through the Bumpass Hell Trail, where a visitor to the park once burnt his leg, or go to the Drakesbad Guest Ranch, where you can discover the terrain from guarded horseback rides.

McArthur Burney Falls — Burney​

The Burney Falls stands at a height of 129 ft. and a width of 250 ft., which makes it one of the largest falls in the whole of California.

Why You Should Go​

Every day, the McArthur Burney Falls produces more than 100 gallons of water, which joins with the flowing water.

The water at the fall mainly comes from individual springs, which creates a mist in the area.

Additionally, the best time to visit the fall is on a clear day because the area is not the best place to stay when it’s raining or cold.

What To Do​

The place is very cozy and perfect for outdoor activities like camping.

Another thing to do at the Falls is to take a hike through the highs and lows of the Burnley area. You can also take pictures while you’re at it.

Bodie State Historic Park — Bridegeport​

Bodie state sprang up out of nowhere during the American Gold Rush near Yosemite as a mining town.

The town derives its name from Waterman S. Body (William Bodey, who discovered gold on the land.

Why You Should Go​

If you’re looking for fun things to do around Northern California, visit Bodie.

The area used to be a booming place in the 19th century.

The area is also preserved to look like the residents just stepped out.

So, you can have an idea of how it was in the 1800s.

What To Do​

You can learn all about the history of how the town went from a booming metropolis to an empty, abandoned place during your visit.

Recommended Hotel Nearby: Bridgeport Inn

The Petrified Forest — Calistoga​

he Petrified Forest was bought by Ollie Orre Bockee in 1912, who made it into a tourist attraction.

In 1978, the forest joined the list of California Historical Landmarks.

Why You Should Go​

The area is filled with beautiful creatures and the petrified trees are the results of a natural occurrence that are both enlightening and breathtaking.

At the shop, you can get souvenirs for yourself or a novelty gift for your loved one.

What To Do​

Take a walk through the Meadow Trail to take a look at the petrified trees around the area.

Recommended Hotel Nearby: Solage, An Auberge Resor

/ Things to do in Northern California?
For some reason I'm thinking the Mystery spot in Northern California is no different than the Mystery Hole in West Virginia ;)

/ Things to do in Northern California? #5  
While not California, West Virginia is beautiful.

/ Things to do in Northern California?
While not California, West Virginia is beautiful.
Favorite state on the east coast where I've ever lived.

Bridge day in Fayetteville is cool. Some of the best white water per square mileage on the east coast with some of the best commercial rafting rivers on the East Coast, as well as rock climbing. All around Fayetteville.

Guess where the Mystery hole in WV is located? LOL

Only suggestion if ever visiting that area is when on route 19 around Summerville and Fayetteville, don't go a mile over the speed limit. Not certain if it's true or not, but the running joke was the Summerville police department wrote more speeding tickets than the city of Chicago.

Now, lets get back to Northern California ;)

/ Things to do in Northern California? #7  
I can’t give advice on where you’re going but I can on crowds. I retired 3 years ago when COVID started. It seems like when people started traveling again things went nuts. Everything is busy. I used to think traveling when kids were in school would be better but that doesn’t always seem to be the case. Week days seem a little better.

The last time we flew we had bad delays and everyone I talk to it seems a 50-50 shot on if its trouble free or not so we have been driving.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #8  
I live in the US and if I never see California again, I will be happy. I helped someone move out there one time. I didn't even go out, so crowded. Ate light bread sandwiches a couple of days and caught a plane back to Shreveport, headed a couple hours north back home. I stay out of Louisiana too. Out of all the cities this nation has, the top ten murder cities, they have two of them. I love Texarkana for my big city needs. Hot Springs is a nice area too. But it's a bad area, don't come here. People throw rocks and cuss at you while you drive by.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #9  
I live in the US and if I never see California again, I will be happy. I helped someone move out there one time. I didn't even go out, so crowded. Ate light bread sandwiches a couple of days and caught a plane back to Shreveport, headed a couple hours north back home. I stay out of Louisiana too. Out of all the cities this nation has, the top ten murder cities, they have two of them. I love Texarkana for my big city needs. Hot Springs is a nice area too. But it's a bad area, don't come here. People throw rocks and cuss at you while you drive by.
lol ... thanks for the honesty and yes it has been on my mind, to be honest prior to a few years ago I never had the interest of going to the USA because of what you are pointing out, but I have been warming up to the idea due to the exposure of you guys and the fact that the USA has so many and different impressive scenery and history that I am interested in ... I am like you guys I don't like crowds and there is a lot of people in the US ... Louisiana was on my list of a potential place to see New Orleans in particular due to their French heritage and comedy, I would like to experience the the swamps land and to see the Mississippi river seem like a cool place ... I have been told to stay out of the southern stats during the summer tho due to the unbearable heat but the Grand canyon was a place I would like to see... the only city I would be interested to visit would be Nashville for its music.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #10  
New Orleans is fine, but once you make one step out of the tourist area, you are in the ghetto. Northern California is fine. Nashville is fine. Grand Canyon is good. Swamps, used to be snakes and alligators were the only problem. Now a 20' python is the problem. I always hated exotic pets. I know an ole gal that has a snake as big around as a paper plate.