Things to do in Northern California?

/ Things to do in Northern California? #11  
New Orleans is fine, but once you make one step out of the tourist area, you are in the ghetto. Northern California is fine. Nashville is fine. Grand Canyon is good. Swamps, used to be snakes and alligators were the only problem. Now a 20' python is the problem. I always hated exotic pets. I know an ole gal that has a snake as big around as a paper plate.
wow thats a big snake, thanks for you inputs on these places.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #12  
Yosemite is one of the busiest parks in the country. You'll need to check on line for the time frame you are considering - but I've heard there is now a "reservation" system, even to just drive through Yosemite Valley. That's how they limit how many cars can enter at any one day to avoid gridlock. And I've also heard you have to book months out to get a reservation.

I used to live within 2 hours drive of Yosemite - had to go up over Tioga Pass; that trip itself is one of the most scenic in the country. So I'd visit at least once a year. No more. The horror stories of the crowds - not even possible to find a place to park at the various scenic turnouts - keep me away. I refuse to fight over my "wilderness" experience with thousands of people.

Pic I took in Yosemite 40 years ago:
Rae Horn Suzi Fortune 31 Jul 83r.jpg

/ Things to do in Northern California? #13  
Yosemite is one of the busiest parks in the country. You'll need to check on line for the time frame you are considering - but I've heard there is now a "reservation" system, even to just drive through Yosemite Valley. That's how they limit how many cars can enter at any one day to avoid gridlock. And I've also heard you have to book months out to get a reservation.

I used to live within 2 hours drive of Yosemite - had to go up over Tioga Pass; that trip itself is one of the most scenic in the country. So I'd visit at least once a year. No more. The horror stories of the crowds - not even possible to find a place to park at the various scenic turnouts - keep me away. I refuse to fight over my "wilderness" experience with thousands of people.

Pic I took in Yosemite 40 years ago:
View attachment 794311
insane view... it almost look fake

/ Things to do in Northern California? #14  
Since you also want to see redwoods, and you'll be in the area, you should make it a point to visit Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks also. When you head north, go through Lassen National Park, and then visit Crater Lake in Oregon. Spectacular!

/ Things to do in Northern California?
No more. The horror stories of the crowds - not even possible to find a place to park at the various scenic turnouts - keep me away. I refuse to fight over my "wilderness" experience with thousands of people.
Believe me, I'm in the same boat as you. One reason why I loved Utah so much was it was easy to get away from the crowds at Zion or the Grand Canyon.

That said, this is the one thing my son wanted to do (Yosemite), so I'm going to do my best not to play the grumpy old man.

Nic picture by the way. Honestly, since my son hasn't been west of the Mississippi, I had some other ideas for seeing what I'd call "real mountains".

Last edited:
   / Things to do in Northern California?
Since you also want to see redwoods, and you'll be in the area, you should make it a point to visit Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks also. When you head north, go through Lassen National Park, and then visit Crater Lake in Oregon. Spectacular!
Thank you.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #17  
Yosemite will be very crowded but if you can stay there it is beautiful and the mountains are grand beyond words. As you drive into the valley there are views across the valley of the mountains. At first you won't realize how big they are. Then you realize that the bushes growing on the granite walls are not bushes but are instead trees over 100 feet tall. Then you will start to understand the scale. Going to the Redwoods is for sure worth it. Giant magnificent trees. And the air is different. It smells great. I would have stayed in Northern California but for all the people. I grew up in the Bay Area and we camped all over the north. Then I moved to the Sierra. I still love the mountains and the trees but just can't stand the crowds. Since you are visiting you can ignore all the people and just enjoy the scenery. When driving from Yosemite to the Redwoods I suggest driving on as many back roads as possible. The drive will be slower but there is so much great sight seeing along the way.
Eric

/ Things to do in Northern California? #18  
My 2 cents, I'd take the road less traveled, literally, and drive. This country has so many beautiful spots. I have been to all 48 contiguous states. Hope to add 49 and 50 someday.

California north of Sacramento is less bad than the cities. There are a bunch of areas with the big redwood/sequoia trees. I like Mt. Shasta, too. Lake Tahoe is (or was anyway) beautiful. We went to Big Sur when I was a little kid in SoCal. San Fran used to be a good place, but I wouldn't go near it anymore myself.

Maybe Yellowstone would be an alternative to Yosemite? Personally, I liked it much better. If you decide to drive, you could get an annual pass for National Parks and see a few. Custer and Mt. Rushmore (and Badlands) are worth the time. Devils Tower in WY.

Whatever y'all decide to do, have fun!

/ Things to do in Northern California? #19  
Believe me, I'm in the same boat as you. One reason why I loved Utah so much was it was easy to get away from the crowds at Zion or the Grand Canyon.

That must have been years ago. Zion is awful now...it got so crowded they no longer allow personal vehicles in. When you get to the Park entrance you must park your vehicle and get on one of the Park Service buses. AND you'll need a reservation.

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is also a zoo. Just looked it up to check my figures...5.9 MILLION visitors a year! The North Rim is much less crowded. This morning I got an announcement that, due to the heavy snowfall this year, the North Rim facilities (which are ~9,000 feet in elevation) have delayed their opening until the first week in June!

/ Things to do in Northern California? #20  
Flying into Sacramento, renting a vehicle.
I would suggest allocating a day in Sacramento. There is an excellent rail museum and it is worth visiting. It is located in "Old Sacramento" with cobblestone streets and lots of shops. Worth adding into the trip. Your family will love it.

I once stayed at the Ahwahnee hotel over 4th of July weekend. Massive, massive crowds. Not much fun in the day with huge crowds. I purchased a book titled something like: "How to Tour Yosemite at Night." Worked well. It would be worth searching to find it.

Check the lunar calendar during your expected stay. If you there is anything near to a full moon, seeing the falls get lit from top to bottom, after dark, as the moon rises above the ridgeline is something you won't forget. There is also something called a "lunar rainbow" which is all silver since it only reflects one wavelength of light. These appear near the base of the falls. This would likely be a once in a lifetime experience.

If you wish to see spectacular scenery, take a drive over Hwy 4 to Carson City. This is Ebbetts Pass, and passes by the small towns of Arnold, Camp Connel, and Bear Valley. The scenery is equivalent to that in Glacier National Park-- huge jagged high granite peaks with deeply carved valleys in between. For many miles it is more equivalent to a one lane paved road but it is no problem at all in a passenger vehicle.

There is much to see and do in Carson City, as it is an old silver mining town. There is also a good rail museum there although not as good as in Sacramento.

So much to do and see-- just a few ideas.