Things to do in Northern California?

/ Things to do in Northern California? #101  
asking how long a drive is in that area is a crap shoot.
Don't forget Carmel when in Monterrey.

Have an absolutely wonderful time and share some pics. Have done this drive multiple times and going along the coast at sunrise is one of the most memorable drives we have ever done.

/ Things to do in Northern California?
Don't forget Carmel when in Monterrey.
We looked at hotels in Carmel originally for a hotel, wife decided to go with Monterey.

Debating about a one night stay in San Fran as I know it's a city, but since we're so close, debating it. A guy I work with from NYC I was with a little while ago told me it's NOT the same city he knew, but it's worth checking out if in the area if you've never been there before. Figure it will have to be at a hotel where you don't have to worry about the car.

We're getting to the point where we have a itinerary on the general areas we'll be at, just need to make certain anything added on will work (thinking san fran the day before we fly out of Sacramento). Would like to spend a day over on the Nevada side or perhaps further north of Lake Tahoe though. Just got to see what we can squeeze in now.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #103  
We looked at hotels in Carmel originally for a hotel, wife decided to go with Monterey.

Debating about a one night stay in San Fran as I know it's a city, but since we're so close, debating it. A guy I work with from NYC I was with a little while ago told me it's NOT the same city he knew, but it's worth checking out if in the area if you've never been there before. Figure it will have to be at a hotel where you don't have to worry about the car.

We're getting to the point where we have a itinerary on the general areas we'll be at, just need to make certain anything added on will work (thinking san fran the day before we fly out of Sacramento). Would like to spend a day over on the Nevada side or perhaps further north of Lake Tahoe though. Just got to see what we can squeeze in now.
Parking is expensive in SF, lots to see/do like the pier, parks and some of the great streets. I worked there for a while and little Italy and Chinatown have some good restaurants. Do the cable car if you have time.
I worked there for a while, not a place I would live, but it's nice to visit, stay away from most of Market and Army streets if your walking.
Sausilito looking back towards SF at night is amazing as is the view from twin peaks.

Parking is expensive in SF, lots to see/do like the pier, parks and some of the great streets. I worked there for a while and little Italy and Chinatown have some good restaurants. Do the cable car if you have time.
I worked there for a while, not a place I would live, but it's nice to visit, stay away from most of Market and Army streets if your walking.
Sausilito looking back towards SF at night is amazing as is the view from twin peaks.
Thank you for the info particularly on the no go streets. Open to any decent hotels recommendations that have free parking that don't run north of $500 a night;)

Have to laugh, just for giggles checked out homes for sale in Virginia City Nevada. WOW!!:eek: Wife and I are wondering about where we'll retire down the road, and out west somewhere keeps popping up. Hoping thing are outrageous due to the proximity of Lake Tahoe. If not, my just look towards western Tenn.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #105  
Thank you for the info particularly on the no go streets. Open to any decent hotels recommendations that have free parking that don't run north of $500 a night;)

Have to laugh, just for giggles checked out homes for sale in Virginia City Nevada. WOW!!:eek: Wife and I are wondering about where we'll retire down the road, and out west somewhere keeps popping up. Hoping thing are outrageous due to the proximity of Lake Tahoe. If not, my just look towards western Tenn.
Last couple of times there the company was paying.
When I had to pay we stayed outside the city, once at a hotel near the airport.

Good luck with the search, gotta be something where you don't have to do a loan to afford it.

Wife wants us to retire to area south of LA as we both have relatives and friends in SD and Orange county. Looking at prices in any neighborhood where you wouldn't be afraid to walk outside is big $$$.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #106  

I know people who live in Virginia City...I surely wouldn't want to live there full time. Keep in mind Virginia City is over 6100 feet in elevation; during the winter the snow is deep...and the wind, constant, bone-chilling wind, will take your breath away. That's what people who live there say.

I know people who live in Virginia City...I surely wouldn't want to live there full time. Keep in mind Virginia City is over 6100 feet in elevation; during the winter the snow is deep...and the wind, constant, bone-chilling wind, will take your breath away. That's what people who live there say.
Thanks for the feedback. I was just curious as to the housing market in that area as honestly I didn't think it would be too bad. I almost fell over dead...

Last couple of times there the company was paying.
When I had to pay we stayed outside the city, once at a hotel near the airport.

Good luck with the search, gotta be something where you don't have to do a loan to afford it.

Wife wants us to retire to area south of LA as we both have relatives and friends in SD and Orange county. Looking at prices in any neighborhood where you wouldn't be afraid to walk outside is big $$$.
We were ready to book two nice hotels not to far away from Fisherman's wharf, and low and behold, right off market street (didn't see army street through on the city map).

I looked at crime in the area of the hotels, just for 5/28/23 alone (thought crime would be lower further south you went off Market St), and we are rethinking if we really want to stay a couple of nights there because there was a crap load (and here I thought Winston Salem is bad).

I laughed because my wife looking at my desk screen at the crimes in one day in that area and asked me I could bring a gun along with me.

Although we would like to visit San Francisco, it's not a must, but would have been nice since we were so close. Better safe than sorry.

Are you allowed knives in California and is there a blade length restriction? ;)

/ Things to do in Northern California? #109  
Big Sur is gorgeous and wild country. Literally the edge of the continent where tectonic plates collide, resulting in extremely steep and unstable slopes from the ridigeline down to the shore. Few accessible beaches. Hwy 1 is generally hundreds of ft above the rocky shoreline. Tourism is typically stopping at many locations for a few minutes to take in the view. Lodging and meals are extraordinarily expensive (and rare), you should bring picnic lunch.

360 degree photo.

Monterey Bay Aquarium is a must-see if you are staying overnight in the area - or even just passing through. it's huge. Tourist guides say allow 4 hours, but half of that has been our experience.

Monterey Bay is unique because a massive canyon just offshore drops down to huge depth, so rare undersea creatures are found by local fishermen and by the researchers there. The Aquarium is world-class.

Photos.

/ Things to do in Northern California? #110  
We were ready to book two nice hotels
Crime is only one issue. The last time I stayed in San Fran I didn't get any sleep. It's a 24-hour city populated full of weirdos, druggies, and street people. Those types thrive at night and it is loud.

Even inside our hotel, a nice one, the howling from the street people was so loud that my wife and I barely got any sleep. Not to mention people yelling, chanting, banging and clanging on dumpsters, and .... whatever. I've heard drunks in a campground howl for a few hours. That was the only place I have ever heard humans howl all night long. That was 15 years ago. I hear it is worse now.

Have you seen how many large retail chains have abandoned San Francisco? ( I believe the count is 60 now.) Even Whole Foods, who opened a "Flagship" store a year ago, including a great deal of fanfare, recently shut it down. And that is a retailer known for its liberal favoritism. They had more than 500 calls to the police in the first year the store was open. Just from that one location. No thanks.