The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner?

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #391  
A quick hitch !

So much easier now to just back up, hook up and go WITHOUT getting out of the seat !

View attachment 835273

YES!!!! I just got one and man, what a time saver!

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #392  
It seems the few regrets on zero turns are about buying the WRONG zero turn, not A zero turn.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #394  
I put a hydraulic top link on my B7100DT, a hydraulic thumb on my BH92 and bought a Husky 54" zero turn that works great. Cut my mowing time in half. Best part is that I only mow my yard 4-5 times a year.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #395  
It seems the few regrets on zero turns are about buying the WRONG zero turn, not A zero turn.
What do you mean by "wrong" one? Box store vs pro model?
How's maintenance on these things, like getting at blades to replace/sharpen them? Easy enough to pull the mower deck on a lawn tractor, but these seem to have them mounted under the mower itself. Not everyone has a lift.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #396  
Yes, there were a few posts above in which users were citing issues with their particular model, not a problem general to all or even most zero-turn mowers.

How's maintenance on these things, like getting at blades to replace/sharpen them?
I service mine every year, as follows:

1. Warm it up and drive it up on a pair of oil-change ramps to access under mower deck.
  2. Unscrew oil drain plug and pull oil filter, let drain.
  3. Remove three blades, scrape mower deck clean, then install my spare set. Removing blade is a single bolt in the center, most easily done with impact driver, since you don't need to block the blade rotation with impact driver.
  4. Install oil plug and new filter, then pour in fresh oil to 90% of specified crank case capacity (can't use dipstick on inclined ramps).
  5. Drive off ramps, park on level floor, check oil with dipstick.
  6. Grease 3 mower spindles, 2 brake pivots, mower deck height adjustment knob, and mower hanger blocks.
  7. Blow out or replace outer air filter, inner filter is good for many years.
  8. Do any other specified engine maintenance on schedule (spark plugs, valve lash, etc.).
  9. Double-check carb tuning and idle/max RPM's.
The whole process takes less than an hour, in fact I could probably slam it out in close to 30 minutes if there's no major engine maintenance items due, after so many years. I sharpen the dull blades a different day later in winter, since I'm usually focused on plowing thru the annual oil changes and lube on all of my machines in a single day or weekend.

Engine maintenance is extremely minimal, since these machines (commercial versions) are generally designed to run 2000 hours per year, and I'm averaging under 100 hours per year.

Easy enough to pull the mower deck on a lawn tractor, but these seem to have them mounted under the mower itself. Not everyone has a lift.

It's pretty easy to pull the mower deck, but I've only done that once in 20 years, to sandblast and repaint it. I believe you could even replace a mower spindle without having to remove the deck, at least on my commercial unit. Since those spindles are probably designed for 20,000 hours or more, I'll probably never have to try it.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #397  
Has anyone on here ever regretted buying a zero turn mower?

Nope. Buy once, cry once.
I run (2) diesel commercial zero turns, and with over 3000 hours between them practically no problems. The speed, cut quality, and ease of maintenance cannot be matched.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #398  
How's maintenance on these things, like getting at blades to replace/sharpen them? Easy enough to pull the mower deck on a lawn tractor, but these seem to have them mounted under the mower itself. Not everyone has a lift.
My zero turn has a built in lift for accessing the blades. Pull a pin, turn a crank and the front end rotates until you have full access to the blades.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #399  
Bought a couple of high traction steps to mount on the SS brush hog. Tired of stepping down onto the slick 1/4" steep plate edge hoping I don't fall.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #400  
Anything with a Cummins engine