The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #232  
It is hard to follow what all of you post here. In this thread there are amazingly low prices quoted on JD and Kubota tractors. Much Lower than anything I could find when I was buying this last spring. Other threads have huge money being spent on little things. Not sure what to believe other than my experience. I bought a new CaseIH because it was the best value I could find nationwide. I was willing to drive up to 12 hours to pick up a tractor. Nothing I found that checked all my boxes within my price range was green or orange…

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #235  
I don’t think AGCO buying up several quality brands (Fendt, Hesston, Massey Ferguson CAT/Challenger, Gleaner and more) represents any instability or poor management whatsoever.
Didn't say it was - but anytime there is a transition, buyout, or whatever and somebody is looking for a longterm piece of equipment there has to be that question. personally I think AGCO has done a great job of bringing together a lot of brands into one company. I do have to wonder how long they are going to produce three different types of combines cost effectively even though each one individually has some very salable features.

The thing that Deere did was keep going forward while all the rest of the industry was very dynamic. I know a few farmers who probably leaned green anyway wouldn't look elsewhere because they were not sure of where things would end up but they thought they could trust Deere would be there because they were not in the brand purchasing. If you had a CAT tractor when they sold to AGCO you would have had to wonder what was going to be there in ten years or so. I am not saying Deere did everything right but they were positioned to appear very stable and used that to their advantage. Smart business and one of the reasons for green paint loyalty.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #236  
I've expressed curiosity about Kubota's growth into the AG market before. It's not uncommon here to see 125hp Kubotas being used on cattle operations. Great hay tractor. I haven't saw anything bigger yet.
And maybe very smart business as in some cases the big guys have focused so much on big that they have kind of ignored this lower hp market creating an opening for someone like Kubota. Their tractor designs are not the big heavy Ag style but a lighter weight design that produces less compaction but still has the horsepower for the PTO operations needed. Just not loaded down for the heavy torque pulling of tillage.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #237  
Didn't say it was - but anytime there is a transition, buyout, or whatever and somebody is looking for a longterm piece of equipment there has to be that question. personally I think AGCO has done a great job of bringing together a lot of brands into one company. I do have to wonder how long they are going to produce three different types of combines cost effectively even though each one individually has some very salable features.

The thing that Deere did was keep going forward while all the rest of the industry was very dynamic. I know a few farmers who probably leaned green anyway wouldn't look elsewhere because they were not sure of where things would end up but they thought they could trust Deere would be there because they were not in the brand purchasing. If you had a CAT tractor when they sold to AGCO you would have had to wonder what was going to be there in ten years or so. I am not saying Deere did everything right but they were positioned to appear very stable and used that to their advantage. Smart business and one of the reasons for green paint loyalty.
I’m in that exact position. 12 year old Challenger. So far no worries.
The reason I’m not too concerned is the CAT/Challengers and the Agco “house brand” tractors were built in the same French factory as the Massey Fergusons.
Only difference I see between them is the color of the sheet metal and the cab roof. Challengers had Caterpillar diesels, but parts are still easily available from CAT or Perkins.
Later models got Sisu diesels, which as far as I’m concerned are excellent and close to the MANN diesels in the Fendts.

You’ll notice when looking at a Challenger or Agco tractor of tractor data, there’s a notation that says “similar to Massey Ferguson XXXX”

Deere is better structured and organized than AGCO, but I still like AGCO a lot, if not more than Deere in that they have different lines of tractors geared towards different buying power. I’m on the lower end of affordability scale, so I’m always looking at used MF, Challenger, or Agco tractors.

Looking at this one right now. Kinda doubt it’s gonna happen. This tractor is reasonably priced, but it’s $20,000 more than it would have cost just 2 years ago.

1671975931830.jpeg

Last edited:
   / The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #238  
I’m in that exact position. 12 year old Challenger. So far no worries.
The reason I’m not too concerned is the CAT/Challengers and the Agco “house brand” tractors were built in the same French factory as the Massey Fergusons.
Only difference I see between them is the color of the sheet metal and the cab roof. Challengers had Caterpillar diesels, but parts are still easily available from CAT or Perkins.
Later models got Sisu diesels, which as far as I’m concerned are excellent and close to the MANN diesels in the Fendts.

You’ll notice when looking at a Challenger or Agco tractor of tractor data, there’s a notation that says “similar to Massey Ferguson XXXX”

Deere is better structured and organized than AGCO, but I still like AGCO a lot, if not more than Deere in that they have different lines of tractors geared towards different buying power. I’m on the lower end of affordability scale, so I’m always looking at used MF, Challenger, or Agco tractors.

Looking at this one right now. Kinda doubt it’s gonna happen. This tractor is reasonably priced, but it’s $20,000 more than it would have cost just 2 years ago.

View attachment 776183
I am glad it has worked out. I commend the guys at AGCO having the guts to do what they did otherwise there would have been a lot less competition in the large tractor market. I also commend those guys for not only buying them out and putting the company together but to also run it as they have - the odds were stacked against them but they have done it. Doing something that large that well is not easy. I do nto think anybody now would have any question about buying one of their pieces of equipment. 18 years ago my brother bought a new RT from AGCO and then it was a question mark if they could do what they said they were going to do but they are alive and well. BTW - My brother was pretty die-hard Deere but was ticked off with the 7800 junk he had he purchased and nobody wanted to take as trade - green paint didn't look so good then.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #239  
I am glad it has worked out. I commend the guys at AGCO having the guts to do what they did otherwise there would have been a lot less competition in the large tractor market. I also commend those guys for not only buying them out and putting the company together but to also run it as they have - the odds were stacked against them but they have done it. Doing something that large that well is not easy. I do nto think anybody now would have any question about buying one of their pieces of equipment. 18 years ago my brother bought a new RT from AGCO and then it was a question mark if they could do what they said they were going to do but they are alive and well. BTW - My brother was pretty die-hard Deere but was ticked off with the 7800 junk he had he purchased and nobody wanted to take as trade - green paint didn't look so good then.

AGCO RT, Challenger or Massey at top of my list for next used tractor.

The AGCO RT’s are really nice, but few were produced.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"
AGCO RT, Challenger or Massey at top of my list for next used tractor.

The AGCO RT’s are really nice, but few were produced.
Being a guy who's always owned more muscle cars than tractors, the first mention of Challenger had me confused. But now you're talking RT's?

Are we still on tractors? :p