The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #211  
Who is being paid not to work? Those programs were short duration and ended over 2 years ago.
Allegedly true but as with all things there are long term effects and those pay not to work programs got a lot of people into social programs that they could not get into before and are still on them. There are still many who never got off the government teat after having it.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #212  
Perfect example of a company China made stuff is ruining.
Weren't the Masseys Isuzus? Even the older ones. Why do you say Chinese?

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #213  
Well, there is the case of the $100 green quoted bearing that I can replace with Timken from Amazon for $10.
There is a lot of difference in the cost of mass marketing a bearing rather than having it identified specifically for a narrow market segment and having it available at dealers around the world for when somebody walks in the door. Also is that a Timken bearing from Amazon - especially if it is built in China? How much do you really know about that bearing, i.e. the heat treatment of the steel, the precision of the grinding, the runout, etc.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #214  
Weren't the Masseys Isuzus? Even the older ones. Why do you say Chinese?
A majority of their tractors and a significant portion of their tractor parts supply chain flow through china.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #215  
A majority of their tractors and a significant portion of their tractor parts supply chain flow through china.
Smaller, yes. Larger runs through Europe. I run 2 Agco’s, 1 Massey, 1 Challenger built in their French factory.
They have German transmissions, rear and brake system. Carrera front axle. The Massey has a 6.6L Sisu diesel and the Challenger has a Cat Accert 6.6L. That may be the only significant US made component. Now I’m hearing CAT is going gangbusters in China, too.

China is old news in tractors. Deere has been manufacturing in China forever. My Deere CX-15 is Chinese parts assembled & painted in mexico. I hate it, but its that way with so much now.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #216  
Allegedly true but as with all things there are long term effects and those pay not to work programs got a lot of people into social programs that they could not get into before and are still on them. There are still many who never got off the government teat after having it.
A small percentage of the workforce. A lot of the labor shortages are due to mass retirements of baby boomers and a smaller workforce of younger replacements due to lower birth rates. Also, a lot of younger people aren’t interested in some of the jobs where vacancies are common. This is a structural issue in our society that isn’t as simple as you suggest. I want to add that in my field we went a long time without bringing on younger people, that we are experiencing mass retirement and not enough mid career people to fill upper leadership and we are doing mass hiring recruitment for entry level positions.

Last edited:
   / The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #217  
A small percentage of the workforce. A lot of the labor shortages are due to mass retirements of baby boomers and a smaller workforce of younger replacements due to lower birth rates. Also, a lot of younger people aren’t interested in some of the jobs where vacancies are common. This is a structural issue in our society that isn’t as simple as you suggest. I want to add that in my field we went a long time without bringing on younger people, that we are experiencing mass retirement and not enough mid career people to fill upper leadership and we are doing mass hiring recruitment for entry level positions.
Bingo. I am 20 to 30 years younger than most people in my field.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #218  
I don't even know how farmers even came into the conversation about deere, kubota, tym, branson and LS sized tractor choices. All farmers here use big deere, case, Massey or new Holland machines.
Gee - I know a lot of farmers are using JCBs, Fendts, CAT, and Versatile to name a few. Of Course Fendts and Massey are brothers inside AGCO and CAT has some relationship with AGCO. Versatile after being bought by Ford New Holland who got bought by Case IH to for CNH and therefore they sold Versatile which became a part of AGCO but then was sold off onto its own because of market share of AGCO owning so many tractors. Is anybody else here lost here on who makes/owns what?

Deere did a good job to stay out of this fray and has taken some advantage of being the stable one - good financial management. Kubota has grown up alongside of them but still do not really have an Ag tractor that most large commodity farmers would consider more than a toy.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #219  
Gee - I know a lot of farmers are using JCBs, Fendts, CAT, and Versatile to name a few. Of Course Fendts and Massey are brothers inside AGCO and CAT has some relationship with AGCO. Versatile after being bought by Ford New Holland who got bought by Case IH to for CNH and therefore they sold Versatile which became a part of AGCO but then was sold off onto its own because of market share of AGCO owning so many tractors. Is anybody else here lost here on who makes/owns what?

Deere did a good job to stay out of this fray and has taken some advantage of being the stable one - good financial management. Kubota has grown up alongside of them but still do not really have an Ag tractor that most large commodity farmers would consider more than a toy.

I don’t think AGCO buying up several quality brands (Fendt, Hesston, Massey Ferguson CAT/Challenger, Gleaner and more) represents any instability or poor management whatsoever.

Fendt will mop up the floor with anything Deere makes. I’d say Massey is on par with Deere.

CAT’s relationship with AGCO was to supply quality diesel engines for the Challenger lineup. I have a 6.6 Acert in my Challenger.

Deere rebrands a lot of Kuhn stuff, so they do a lot of rebranding.
So does Kubota. Kubby bought an entire baling company and repainted their balers orange. Same with some other hay tools. Kubota now stuffing 6.7 Cummins in their biggest tractors. Everyone does it.

Speaking of AGCO’s success-read the article. Not bad….

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #220  
Kubota has grown up alongside of them but still do not really have an Ag tractor that most large commodity farmers would consider more than a toy.
I've expressed curiosity about Kubota's growth into the AG market before. It's not uncommon here to see 125hp Kubotas being used on cattle operations. Great hay tractor. I haven't saw anything bigger yet.