The Massey Ferguson Picture Thread

/ The Massey Ferguson Picture Thread #41  
Ja, er morro med ved

/ The Massey Ferguson Picture Thread
Bringing this back from the dead. While the ground is soft and damp I decided to clear the last small section of my field. It had very, very thick overgrowth. Used the loader to tear it all out and push it to the property line. I still love this machine!

On the Google maps image, you can see just to the left of the red pin, the area isn't straight with the rest of the property line. It is now, just need to clean it up with my flail mower once the ground dries up.

You can see the dark areas in the pics, that's where I tore all the heavy brush from. Some of it was 4"+ diameter.

Last pic, the field you see behind my machine was all overgrown about 7-8' high, so thick you couldn't walk through it. Me and my dad cleared it a few years ago, the native grasses have finally taken hold again. When we first cleared it with the brush hog and chainsaws, the vegetation was so tall and thick that the ground was bare dirt when we finished. It's nice to see the field restored to what it once was.

Next is the rest of those little trees/whatever they are, pull them out, plant some fruit trees.

Attachments

• image-1715090560.jpg
    image-1715090560.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image-1792829701.jpg
    image-1792829701.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 170
  • image-2400461121.jpg
    image-2400461121.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 140
And lastly, a pic of the machine/field. It was overgrown 7-8' high four years ago when we bought the property. Took me, my dad, and my brother several full weekends with chainsaws and the brush hog on my dad's 34hp Kubota to clear it.

When we finally got all the brush and overgrowth cut and shredded, the ground was bare dirt. That's how thick the brush was. The native grasses have taken over, I mow it 3-4 times a year. Back in the late 1700s through 1920s my property was an apple orchard. I plan to plant a few different varieties of fruit trees once I get done taking down the residual saplings(giant weeds) and burning out a few stumps.

Attachments

• image-2868909985.jpg
    image-2868909985.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 146
   / The Massey Ferguson Picture Thread #44  
And lastly, a pic of the machine/field. It was overgrown 7-8' high four years ago when we bought the property. Took me, my dad, and my brother several full weekends with chainsaws and the brush hog on my dad's 34hp Kubota to clear it.

When we finally got all the brush and overgrowth cut and shredded, the ground was bare dirt. That's how thick the brush was. The native grasses have taken over, I mow it 3-4 times a year. Back in the late 1700s through 1920s my property was an apple orchard. I plan to plant a few different varieties of fruit trees once I get done taking down the residual saplings(giant weeds) and burning out a few stumps.

Apple orchard? A little Johnny Appleseed action?

/ The Massey Ferguson Picture Thread #45  
shaeff- Nice work ! I see you have wheel weights , and chains , and probably power steering. My Ferguson TO-35 has a front loader too , but no power steering . I have to hang an implement on the 3 point hitch, such as my scraper blade or my bush hog mower, to take weight off of the front end so that I can steer more easily.
From other threads, I see you do have a large flail mower if you need weight hanging off the rear.

Apple orchard? A little Johnny Appleseed action?

Used to be an orchard, I'm only planning a few trees, some apples, pears, maybe some cherries. Just got to get the field ready. Also going to plant wild flowers around the perimeter within the next few years, I want to get some honeybees!

shaeff- Nice work ! I see you have wheel weights , and chains , and probably power steering. My Ferguson TO-35 has a front loader too , but no power steering . I have to hang an implement on the 3 point hitch, such as my scraper blade or my bush hog mower, to take weight off of the front end so that I can steer more easily. From other threads, I see you do have a large flail mower if you need weight hanging off the rear.

Thanks! Yep, wheel weights, calcium loaded tires, and ladder chains. (Modified from a dump truck). Power steering leaks out one of the fittings, every 3-4hrs of runtime I have to refill. I'll fix that this year. Otherwise the power steering works very well, I can have 1000+ lbs in the bucket and still turn the wheel with one finger.

I've got a 6' McKee snowblower and a 6' John Deere flail. I usually keep the flail on for ballast and traction, but I was afraid I'd bury the tractor in the mud. That spot is one of the lowest on my property and this time of year it gets swampy. Got stuck once but dragged myself out with the loader.

I picked this machine up as a non-runner for $1000. I have about $1000 more into it including the flail mower (got that for $300).

I had to rebuild the scotch yoke pump, put a new lift cylinder in it, and give it a tune up/fluid flush. I'd love to rebuild the motor sometime, but it runs well and does all I ask it to. Love these old beasts!

Last edited:
Update:

Snagged this BEEFY old MF brush hog for free. Topped off the gear box, changed the rusty nails on the castle nuts to cotter pins, greased the u-joints and let it rip. It’s HEAVY! I have a tail wheel for it, just gotta modify it to make it fit. Total investment: $10
IMG_3885.JPG

/ The Massey Ferguson Picture Thread #48  
Shaeff, that's fantastic value! I'd have grabbed it too!

Shaeff, that's fantastic value! I'd have grabbed it too!

Thanks, Patrick! I couldn’t pass it up. I also got a 3pt seed spreader that needs a little work, but again, for free I can just leave it be until I have time to work on it. Been a busy summer and I’ve been playing catch-up since we got back from our 40 day roadtrip around the USA!

Thought this was a cool pic:
IMG_3924.JPG