The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :)

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #11  
Nice set up; fan on the blower should move a lot of snow - just keep the rpms up, especially in wet snow.

some tips:

put chains on the rears

have a fan in the cab to move air around or your windows will fog up

heavy wet snow will clog the chute over time; I keep a small pry bar with me to get out and chip away the clog.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #12  
Thanks for your insights! That 5115M with the double auger is some serious machinery! I'm about 15 minutes away from their Alanson store.

I've got a question for you. When I leave the paved driveway to do around my pole barns (and maybe a bit less that 1/2 mile on the main two tracker on my property) should I have the blower in float or just keep it a little off the ground? I guess I'd rather leave just a bit of snow than dig into anything.

More snow sounds good to me now that I won't be horsing around a walk behind.
Early in the winter season before the ground freezes up its very easy to dig your cutting edge in. Don't count on the shoes to hold it up when the ground is unfrozen. So yes I keep the blower up a couple inches with the 3pt lever. If the terrain isn't flat you got to keep adjusting the lever to follow .

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #13  
Nice set up; fan on the blower should move a lot of snow - just keep the rpms up, especially in wet snow.

some tips:

put chains on the rears

heavy wet snow will clog the chute over time; I keep a small pry bar with me to get out and chip away the clog.
In all do respect I've never needed chains with a 4wd tractor.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #14  
Ni
Thanks for your insights! That 5115M with the double auger is some serious machinery! I'm about 15 minutes away from their Alanson store.

I've got a question for you. When I leave the paved driveway to do around my pole barns (and maybe a bit less that 1/2 mile on the main two tracker on my property) should I have the blower in float or just keep it a little off the ground? I guess I'd rather leave just a bit of snow than dig into anything.

More snow sounds good to me now that I won't be horsing around a walk behind.
Nice rig and blower....congrats! 👍

I generally lift my rear blower up on my gravel driveway for the first few snow storms. Once there is hard pack, I can drop it down all the way with no concern of launching gravel into the atmosphere.

Another benefit I have found with the rear blower is you do not lose the function of your FEL.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #15  

some tips:

put chains on the rears

If AC equipped, turning it on with heat will also keep the windows clear. Recirculate depending on conditions - once I'm in and out of the cab a few times with snow on my feet I turn recirculate off.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #16  
That's pretty slick, be interested how much and how well it handles snow. Someday I'll be back where there's snow:(

Sucks about the PTO shaft, I didn't cut my first one until recently...not sure why I thought it was so scary. I mean sure there's a wobble and it doesn't slide in and out any more after I got it back together with the hydro press but as long as it spins at 540 I'm good right:cool:

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :)

some tips:

put chains on the rears

In a few days my fan will arrive. Before putting holes in anything I wanted to try a plastic suction cup fan that plugs into the lighter. If it doesn't work I'll get a more standard cab fan. I'll need to dig out my little pry-bar for the chute etc. I found by big one yesterday to move the blower around a bit hooking it up.
Early in the winter season before the ground freezes up its very easy to dig your cutting edge in. Don't count on the shoes to hold it up when the ground is unfrozen. So yes I keep the blower up a couple inches with the 3pt lever. If the terrain isn't flat you got to keep adjusting the lever to follow .
That makes sense. I though I might be making adjustment when I get into the terrain....all welcomed advice.
Ni

Nice rig and blower....congrats! 👍

I generally lift my rear blower up on my gravel driveway for the first few snow storms. Once there is hard pack, I can drop it down all the way with no concern of launching gravel into the atmosphere.

Another benefit I have found with the rear blower is you do not lose the function of your FEL.
Thanks. This is all stuff I'd have figured out but it's good to get a heads up before I make the beginner mistakes :)
If AC equipped, turning it on with heat will also keep the windows clear. Recirculate depending on conditions - once I'm in and out of the cab a few times with snow on my feet I turn recirculate off.
I heard about using the AC. Good to know how you've used the recirculate. I got a great deal on the rear window wiper kit from a tractor place in Wisconsin that should be here next week. That should help with the rear visibility too.

I really appreciate all the tips from everyone! I just got a message from my Kubota dealer and my PTO shaft is now cut to length so I can come pick it up. Now I'm just crossing my fingers for more snow, lol.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #18  
The main reason I didn’t buy front mounted snow blower was because that would require removing the front mounted loader. So far after one year using the rear mounted blower I am very well satisfied. Seems like every time I blow my yard I’m also using the front loader.
Yes I use both the AC and the heater to help keep the windows clear when blowing snow, sometimes I also need to use front or rear windshield wipers.
I do kinda wish my tractor had a swivel seat but that’s another $500 and so far I haven’t been willing to spend the extra money for one. I’ve operated plenty of tractors equipped with swivel seat and it’s a very nice feature to have.
Is your blower also equipped with power swivel and tilt for the blower chute ?
Fortunately No chains needed to do my yard with a FWD tractor, when I was using the 8n Ford with a rear blade chains were definitely required.

Last edited:
   / The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #19  
In all do respect I've never needed chains with a 4wd tractor.

depends on what you are doing, of course. They give me peace of mind when in blizzard conditions knowing that I am unlikely to get stuck.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :)
Is your blower also equipped with power swivel and tilt for the blower chute ?
Fortunately No chains needed to do my yard with a FWD tractor, when I was using the 8n Ford with a rear blade chains were definitely required.
Mine is only equipped with the hyd swivel. The dealer said I wouldn't need the chute adjustment. I'm sure I'll be fine this winter but even on a walk behind it was nice to adjust the chute angle. If I add one this summer I'll have to add a second set of remotes on the rear which I was planning on doing anyway.

Might as well add those when I add a third function to the front. For what I'll be using the tractor for I should be all set then.....we'll see how I feel a year or two down the road I suppose.