The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #551  
That's a nice looking load you've got there HD, the ole Ram's earning her keep for sure. I would imagine she sounds good under a bit of throttle hauling that.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor
That's a nice looking load you've got there HD, the ole Ram's earning her keep for sure. I would imagine she sounds good under a bit of throttle hauling that.
I like the older Cummins rumble a little better. They’ve quieted -down these trucks about 10 years ago. But yes it still has a great rumbling sound and turbo boost to it the other 2 don’t have
Would really like to have an old 5.9L with a manual just for fun.

Last edited:
   / The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #553  
But yes it still has a great rumbling sound and turbo boost to it the other 2 don’t have
That nice whistle as the turbo spools up...that is an awesome sound.

Back at it this morning.….
Same place.

260 tons to go.….

1701894445292.jpeg

Last edited:
   / The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #555  
260 tons is a lot. Is there ever a point that the ground just doesn't support good hay production? Even with fertilizer applied it seems like that much mass leaving an area on a regular basis would have an impact. Real question not trying to be a jerk.

Last edited:
260 tons is a lot. Is there ever a point that the ground just doesn't support good hay production? Even with fertilizer applied it seems like that much mass leaving an area on a regular basis would have an impact.
260 is the last 1/4 of what I have already baled & shipped. Did about 1,000+ tons this year.
I try to use organic fertilizer, like mushroom compost soil, because it replaces the “solid mass” that I take off each year. It lays on top of the dirt and adds a lot of the lost organic material back to what was lost from baling.

So if I make 1,000 tons of hay, ideally I’d like to put close to that back down in spent mushroom compost. I never get there, but I try.

Most guys do nothing but spray liquid N.

If nothing was done, tonnage would trend downward

Last edited:
Sorry...mine ain't for sale!
Drive it out to PA and we’ll negotiate a deal????
But You have to bring plenty of the old farm & family pictures!

Yesterday began a bit “frosty” as the sun finally got up in the sky in my rural township.
My TBN friend Indy Jay liked this picture I posted on another thread, so I thought I’d share here.
Nice sunrise and not one home in sight in my rural township. There’s so much open space here, they film movies here. One was “The Village” by M. Knight Shamalon. Not a home in sight. Just open space and barns.

1702127453067.jpeg

As I go to the back of this mile long field, I caught a glimpse of a little buck here

1702127729677.jpeg

These bales have been sitting a while. That’s 2 tons of hay there.

1702127804231.jpeg

We have a good soaking rain coming Sunday so my strategy was to bring 30-35 bales out front so I won’t make a mess of the fields.
Once I got those bales out of the field and to the front, they can be loaded faster and without mud everywhere.

Beginning to get ready for logging and snow. I left the bale spear in the field, went back to the farm and got the log grapple. Conveniently, the 8’ high cap bucket can be “pinched” in between the forks and the single arm log grapple. Cruising from the farm back to my place with both.

1702128260051.jpeg

I’m kind of curious/excited to get started on the logs at my customers site. Still have 250 bales to truck and a LOT of log chunks.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #560  
How fast does your tractor go on those paved roads? Every time I've driven on paved roads, I'm a lot slower then everyone else, and I'm always nervous about how quickly I can stop of I have to really fast.