Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar #21  
I have a buddy that snatched a sign "New Dollar General Coming Soon" that he plants on about every new project when the dirt starts moving. Kind of surprising how many people comment about yet another new Dollar store, they are already on every corner seems like and nothing is a dollar in any of them.

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar #22  
Overbuild. Capital One did that several years back, they put a branch in every town close to where we live. Now I have to drive 25 miles to get to the nearest branch. The majority of the branches that they closed are still empty buildings, great planning.

BTW: Valentines Day, isn't that a Hallmark holiday?

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar
"Their target customers are households that make less than 40,000 annually, which might make one begin to wonder how they are able to make any profit at all. In this article, we will be going into the nooks and crevices of the Dollar General business model and the methods they use to make their business thrive while catering to their consumers. "

My wife would respectfully argue that they are really not that competitively priced, and that by even driving an extra 40 minutes on her end to go food shopping, the savings are enormous on her end after she spends $150 to $250 for groceries, pet food and other related items she's out shopping for even when you consider time and gas.

Myself, honestly don't know, but I do trust my wife when it comes to shopping for the family LOL

I do know when I go to dollar general, I end up paying anywhere between $6 to $12 for simple plane jane reading glasses. When I go to dollar tree, they are up to about $1.50 for every one on the rack.

That said, overall consider myself lucky as when I do stop in either store, generally it's for one or two specific items that I need NOW and I'm driving by the place.

Not certain about other states, but both Dollar General and Dollar tree and Walmart have been making the rounds locally in the news...

The one in our town is in the above link. I just find it hard to believe that the state is only targeting Dollar General, Family dollar / dollar tree and Walmart.

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar #24  
They sure seem to make money though. We hit the local Dollar Tree now and then, look at something and "it's only a dollar" but when we check out we've spent 50 or 60 bucks. Serious business there, they are making money. From the net:
Gross margin is calculated as gross profit divided by its revenue. Dollar Tree's gross profit for the three months ended in Oct. 2022 was $2,075 Mil. Dollar Tree's revenue for the three months ended in Oct. 2022 was $6,940 Mil. Therefore, Dollar Tree's gross margin % for the quarter that ended in Oct. 2022 was 29.90%.

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar #25  
Im reading a book about Dollar General called "My Father's Business". downloaded on kindle - it's pretty good and of interest to me since my son will be a third-generation manager of our family business.

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar #26  
We had a new dollar tree / family dollar built 10 minutes up in town. Today, valentines day cards, 2 for $1.07 (always get a funny card and a serious card).

Last 12 years we had a dollar general in the same local town. Generally refused to buy there due to their prices. Driving 25 minutes into the larger town in the other county had pretty much the same price as dollar general but with a whole lot more product selection.

I just don't get why people buy at dollar general and why they put so many of them up. When I go into Mountain City Tenn. I can drive past 3 of them in about a 10 mile span.
What's so bad about the pricing at DG? No, they don't have the lowest prices on everything but no one else does either. There's one DG about 10 min from me, another ~20. The nearest Walmart is twice that, and it's not even one with a grocery section. Not gonna drive 30 minutes to save 75¢.
I don't think Family Dollar is still around, the one we had around here closed a couple years ago. Not sure about DT.

Has anyone else experienced lots of empty shelves at Walmart lately? Other chains seem to have resolved supply chain issues for the most part, but at least the nearby WM has gotten worse over the past year. No pattern to it.

Or you go in the store with your wife, look through the cards together, pick one, then put it back.
We've been known to do that. Other than our anniversary we don't generally make a big fuss over holidays, and even then dinner out at a reasonably nice place is about as far as we go.

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar #27  
The presence of a lot of auto parts businesses and retail discount dollar stores (generally speaking) are sometimes indicators of low community income and generally aren't indicators that the community is doing well financially. You don't see diamond brokers or custom suit tailors in my community.
That would describe my community. Three auto parts stores, a discount grocery, etc, etc. There is a Dollar General and a Family Dollar within one mile of each other.

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar #28  
We don't do anything for St. Valentine's Day. If you need one day a year for your spouse, you're doing the other 364 days wrong.

As for DG, they are the closest store, so we will use them if time is critical. Otherwise, there are better options.

/ Thank God for Dollar Tree / Family dollar #29  
I've never been in either one of them, probably my loss, just never had the urge.