Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,661  
Good Lord! I'd probably have the big O over that much rain! :laughing:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,662  
5/8 in rain gauge this morning in Oglesby. Starting to rain lightly again. :)

HS

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,663  
I picked my first zucchini and yellow squash today!!!! I'll probably pick more tomorrow. It goes on the grill, this weekend!

When the start gun went off, you where 20' in front of me already!!:laughing:

Went to Decatur, good rain falling there, came home and have .26" in the gauge! WHOOT! AND found a push mower I liked at TSC. Didn't care for the brand (Huskee), but this one has a Honda motor and that is good enough for me! $229 on sale, shoot just a Honda motor can run that much:thumbsup:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,664  
San Antonio has got over 12 inches of rain in the last 24 hours,, my son is San Antonio at the river walk..:) Lou

Did your son take a spare inner tube? I'm betting the River Walk is really the River FLOAT with that much rain.:eek:

I just got 0.60" from a shower that passed over. Of course it rained because I got my tomato trellis nets up this morning and then sprayed insecticide. The nets are still great, but I'll have to do a repeat of the insecticide. I'd put it out every day if that would make it rain.:)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,665  
Jim,, He and our daughter in law are on their way back,, talked with him on the phone and he said the only thing that is not flooded is I-10,, They were going to stay thru Monday but the rain changed their mines... Lou

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,666  
Did your son take a spare inner tube? I'm betting the River Walk is really the River FLOAT with that much rain.:eek:

I just got 0.60" from a shower that passed over. Of course it rained because I got my tomato trellis nets up this morning and then sprayed insecticide. The nets are still great, but I'll have to do a repeat of the insecticide. I'd put it out every day if that would make it rain.:)

jinman; If you spraying is what it takes to make it rain, I'll pay you to come spray here weekly! (and this from a woman who is all organic!)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,667  
   / Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,668  
1.22" total 2 day rain for Northwest Lee County.
One of those deaths in San Antonio was at an attempted rescue by the FD. I bet that will haunt them for a while. Every flood seems to have people driving through and being washed away in low water crossings.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,669  
I agree, txdon. Very sad.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,670  
It seems that these storms we are having all produce extremes: rain, hail, tornadoes, flooding, even freezes early-on. We've gone so long without precipitation and suddenly we get a bunch at once (in isolated places). Perhaps it's always been that way, but in less populated areas. This year it seems the heavy storms hit larger cities and more densely populated areas. Then, perhaps, mikim might remind me of the floods in Houston a few years ago and how his house was flooded. Maybe the fact that these storms all happen in rapid succession is the thing that makes them seem different.:confused3:

Well, I have to call myself out about my rain amount reporting (braggin'). I did not get 6/10'. I looked out at my gage and my ol' eyes tricked me. When I went out to dump the gage, I saw that I really only got 1/4". I'll take it because it was a very nice shower, but I don't want to put out bad info. Hey! Maybe even some of my insecticide stayed on my plants.

Speaking of plants. . . (garden segue warning). My tomatoes and peppers all have a new home this morning. My wife and grandson helped me and we put up our nets. The first picture below is the t-posts I drove (28 total) to support the netting. After putting in the t-posts, I strung line along the tops to tie the netting to. I didn't want to lace the line through the netting because that makes the job more difficult trying to put up line with the net in the way.

TomatoTrellisNet-01.jpg

TomatoTrellisNet-02.jpg

The netting is really compact and lightweight. It came in a roll about 1' diameter and 2' long. The whole 3.5' x 328' roll only weighs a few pounds. I kept looking at the package and found it hard to believe that it contained a full 328', but it did. The netting is about twice as thick as the heavy duty deer netting, but the large square openings makes it much less dense. This whole package weighed about as much as a 7' x 100' roll of deer fencing.

TomatoTrellisNet-03.jpg

My wife helped me roll out the netting and then she held it in place and helped me tension it while I tied it to the t-posts. My grandson cut twist-ties from a 100' roll we bought at Amazon. I put the netting on the inside of the t-pots except at the end posts where I wrapped it outside for for better support. The job really looks professional in my opinion. As the plants grow, I have some 3/16" nylon cord to tie between the netting side-to-side to provide support where needed. I can also tie branches to the netting using foam padded wire. Here are some photos of the finished job.

TomatoTrellisNet-04.jpg

TomatoTrellisNet-05.jpg

TomatoTrellisNet-06.jpg

...and finally, I had to show a photo of my Bush blue lake beans. They are blooming and making little beans under this canopy of green leaves. I'm thrilled at how healthy they look. Also, Farmgirl19, you are ahead of me by about a week on squash and zucs. I'll have a couple of yellow squash by mid-week and zucs a week later. I also expect to see little baby Israel melons by next weekend. My vines are big and covered in blooms.

TomatoTrellisNet-07.jpg