Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,351  
Kyle, if, and only if, you can get your agg exemption back you can switch to a Wildlife exemption by doing the required practices.

I'm considering going to chemical control of mesquite. What is required?

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,352  
Rain??? I don't see no stinkin' rain.:confused3: Yep! The storm has skirted Sunset. . . again. Sigh!!! Good for you, Dennis. At least you may get the dust washed off your vehicles.

I was looking at my asparagus ferns yesterday and some are 7 feet tall if they didn't bend over. Trying to walk between rows is like walking through a jungle (photo). I'm still getting some spears, but I'm letting the ferns build strong roots for next year. My MIL has already put in her order. I sent her about 6 lb this year and it was the first really fresh asparagus she ever had. Loved it.:)

grdn-5-7-2013a.jpg

In the photo below, you can see my sugar snap peas that have now grown so big they are putting out runners and need to have something to support them. I have lots of old slightly bowed deck balusters that are 42" long and cut to a 45 deg point on one end. I drive them down to hold clothesline cord. Those, along with old 3/4" PVC pipe, make great stakes when I need strength. Also note my bamboo stakes in my tomatoes. Yep, Dennis, my colorful buckets are all gone. Once the tomatoes are staked, you can't use buckets anymore.

grdn-5-7-2013b.jpg

My onions are doing really well. Since they are on a raised bed, I had lots of them get the soil washed off and had to replant them deeper. They are coming on like gangbusters now, especially with the soaker hoses. I had room at the end of the rows and planted a couple of yellow cherry tomatoes. You can really see the bamboo stake in this photo.

grdn-5-7-2013c.jpg

My bush blue lake beans are starting to come on. I don't know why the first ones didn't germinate well at the ends of the rows, but I've replanted and they are starting to pop out of the ground. I think the warm days are really getting them going. On the right side of the photo below, you can see my two blackeyed peas rows. They are also really breaking the ground and coming up since I replanted. I'm still waiting to plant a couple of rows of okra. If we get some rain this weekend, I'll plant okra next week.

grdn-5-7-2013d.jpg

Let's keep our fingers crossed and pray for a good rain from this approaching front.:thumbsup:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,353  
Well Jim, got enough rain to wet the ground, It's like eating potatoes chips, you cant eat just one, I want more RAIN!!!

Your letting your Asparagus go to "Deliverance" :laughing: Think I would have to pick a few more then let'm grow out:licking: I will plant the Okra this weekend come He11, or hopefully "high water". 40% chance tomorrow, wonder if we need to get farmgirl a beach towel ready:D

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
#1,354  
BTW, Killed a Copperhead in the dog pen yesterday. Small one about 16", but had a bad attitude for sure.....Keep an "eye" out everybody.

In Post #9 of this thread I mentioned having seen a copperhead in our "community park". Our veterinary has a sign out front in big letters "WE HAVE SNAKE BITE VACCINE". I took our little dog for her annual checkup and vaccinations this morning and they say they do have the vaccine for copperhead bites. And they're getting more reports of copperheads this year.

Of course, I'd assume that some of the reports are erroneous.:laughing: I always remember a little over 40 years ago, we had a next door neighbor who was usually one of those know-it-all guys. And one night my sister and her family came to visit and were leaving our house around 1 a.m. And in the middle of the paved street was a big, black snake; non-poisonous variety but I killed it to make the women happy. I just left it in the street and the next day I was out working in the front yard when that neighbor came out with a friend of his who was just leaving. So the neighbor came over and asked, "Have you seen that big snake out in the street?" I told him that I was the one who killed it, and he said, "Well, my friend who just left is something of a snake expert and he said it's a copperhead." I just said, "OK" and left it at that.:laughing:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,355  
I have killed 3 copperhead this year so far...

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,356  
I will plant the Okra this weekend come He11, or hopefully "high water". 40% chance tomorrow, wonder if we need to get farmgirl a beach towel ready:D

I saw the lightening and heard the thunder, but didn't get a drop. :( I am working Saturday, in Tarrant County, so send word before then, of you need seed.

And with that high a chance of rain, and being as dry as we are.... Get that beach towel ready, and maybe some bail money too! :cool2: :thumbsup:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
#1,357  
I was quite surprised when I looked at the NWS website for Denton this morning and it showed "light rain". It sure was not raining here; 10 miles south of the airport, but when I drove another 3 miles south this morning, I'm pretty sure there were 2 dozen tiny drops hit the windshield.:rolleyes:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,358  
I'm considering going to chemical control of mesquite. What is required?

Reclaim or Remedy are the only two effectine herbacides. Both are expensive but work, I have used both. One is a foliar application, the other is applied to the stem/trunk. Use dye in either mix to avoid missing plants or double coverage. Now is the right time for Reclaim...right now and for next 5 weeks or so. Texas Brush Busters has the formula.

http://texnat.tamu.edu/about/brush-busters/mesquite/

Both are very specific to mesquite, will not harm other plants. If you wish, PM me with questions. Do you have an applicator's license?

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,359  
I have killed 3 copperhead this year so far...

Everyone mentioning the Copperheads, and I went out to turn off the water, after filling troughs. Reached for the faucet, and just in time, noticed a snake beside it. Startled me enough, after reading this thread, that I could have hurt myself! Luckily, it was a rat snake, and I let it go on its merry way.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,360  
I killed two copperheads today.. they looked to be large snakes,, they were in several pieces,, mower so no mercy,, nor the cow birds and one old hawk,, I say it was an old hawk because I believe he/she is the same bird that has been comes for a couple of years and watches,, I know the hawk likes field mice more than snake but time are hard and dry so you take what it there.. Lou