Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #11  
Its recommended that you engage your PTO at low engine RPM's and then raise the throttle once engaged to reduce/minimize system shock & #/stress vs engaging with the engine throttle up high.

The idle on my tractor is 1100 RPM factory setting. That was way to harsh, I dropped it to 800 and it is still slamming into gear. I've owned several tractors and have been driving farm tractors most of my life so I'm aware of the need to use a low RPM to engage. I'm guessing it is just the mass of the blades and the gearbox because the post hole auger does not do it. After it sheared a bolt doing that I purchased the clutch for the mower.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #12  
Here is recent review for these models. Somewhat long and may not be useful to anyone but a non owner like me.

Looks like the biggest complaint was steering and control levers are tight for a big man's comfort.

So for the GC owners, what are your complaints with your units....

Thanks

Can't comment on a big man's comfort level, I'm only 5"7'. I did try out the new GC1705 (or whatever they label that model now) w/o the backhoe. The tilt steering wheel and fender-mounted loader joystick is a big improvement, imho. But how does all that work on their new 1710 with the infamous high/wobbly seat, no clue, they didn't have it on the lot.

I end up with the GC1710, 2018 version, before the remodel. I have some of the same complaints about it as Nacademus, so don't wanna get all redundant here. It's a good tractor, I'm happy overall, but I do find myself having to modify this or that to make this tractor fit me better. I changed the seat on it, and currently working on getting the loader joystick closer to me.

And also certain things on it, I'm just like ehhh, they coulda done this better. For instance the backhoe transport pins. On a Kubota or LS, you could just lean over while still on the tractor and take those out, and put them in their storage racks. On the LS, the boom pin is really sweet, it's just a lever that locks/unlocks the boom. However on the Massey, you gotta get off the tractor to do all that. Not a biggie, but it is something, especially how the boom on my tractor drifts down fairly fast, so I either pin it up or have to remember to occasionally reach back to pull the boom up via lever. And then there are some other things, kinda along the same lines.

I got my tractor private sale, gently used, at a great price, and like I said I'm happy overall. But if I was in the market for a tractor right now, I'd take the 2+ hour trip to visit LS and RK dealers. I think those brands have some things to offer that MF doesn't, at similar price points.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #13  
The idle on my tractor is 1100 RPM factory setting. That was way to harsh, I dropped it to 800 and it is still slamming into gear. I've owned several tractors and have been driving farm tractors most of my life so I'm aware of the need to use a low RPM to engage. I'm guessing it is just the mass of the blades and the gearbox because the post hole auger does not do it. After it sheared a bolt doing that I purchased the clutch for the mower.

My mower does not give a harsh jolt. It's pretty smooth.

Something is shock loading your mower gear box.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M
Great feedback, keep it coming.

I stopped by my local dealer yesterday just kicking the tires, mainly to look at a used 2018 GC1710 TLB he had for sale for $13,900 with 188 hours on consignment, pic attached.
2018 GC1710 Boones Tractor 101619.JPG

Salesman and I talked before looking at the GC1725M's he had on the lot, basically discussing the same old adage where you see people selling a used one with most likely 0% equity and just under what new ones cost. I see units for sale all the time that are used for very high and near new prices, same old story right? That led us into a new one just being the best way to go..........

So we talked in depth about the new GC1725M's and the new GC1723E's and I got quoted a price for each and here a few notes:

The 2018 used base tractor above was built in Japan as I remember they were. The 2019 base tractor were built in Indonesia.
The loader and BH built in Georgia.

GC1723EB: $16,500 excluding tax. This unit was pushed as being the better deal. Standard FEL bucket attachment, not a quick release.

GC1725MB: $17,900 excluding tax. This unit is the same as above with the following extras standard:
1.5 more HP
400 more engine rpm
0.6 gpm more hydraulic flow
Arm rests
rear light guards
12V plug
Not sure if any or all of this is worth the extra cost and I asked why do they make these 2 models so close in HP and he stated it's what's everybody does, industry marketing standard I guess.

This video explains these differences same as well. They also point out a few things they didn't like, the seat was a big one.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #15  
Great feedback, keep it coming.

I stopped by my local dealer yesterday just kicking the tires, mainly to look at a used 2018 GC1710 TLB he had for sale for $13,900 with 188 hours on consignment, pic attached.
View attachment 624970

Salesman and I talked before looking at the GC1725M's he had on the lot, basically discussing the same old adage where you see people selling a used one with most likely 0% equity and just under what new ones cost. I see units for sale all the time that are used for very high and near new prices, same old story right? That led us into a new one just being the best way to go..........

So we talked in depth about the new GC1725M's and the new GC1723E's and I got quoted a price for each and here a few notes:

The 2018 used base tractor above was built in Japan as I remember they were. The 2019 base tractor were built in Indonesia.
The loader and BH built in Georgia.

GC1723EB: $16,500 excluding tax. This unit was pushed as being the better deal. Standard FEL bucket attachment, not a quick release.

GC1725MB: $17,900 excluding tax. This unit is the same as above with the following extras standard:
1.5 more HP
400 more engine rpm
0.6 gpm more hydraulic flow
Arm rests
rear light guards
12V plug
Not sure if any or all of this is worth the extra cost and I asked why do they make these 2 models so close in HP and he stated it's what's everybody does, industry marketing standard I guess.

This video explains these differences same as well. They also point out a few things they didn't like, the seat was a big one.

Cheaper labor cost = higher profit margins.

1.5 more HP - Through fueling and gearing. 1:1 production costs are around the same.
400 more engine rpm - Through a simple governor adjustment and fuel pump shim.
0.6 gpm more hydraulic flow - Product of higher RPM.
Arm rests - Cheap to add and couldn't cost more than a couple bucks. I actually keep mine up since they annoy me.
rear light guards - Can't cost much to add. Its just a bent loop of flat stock. Nothing fancy at all. Should be standard if you're going to make your lights stick out like Dumbo. They don't really even protect much. A new light is almost $100. WHY? They BEG to be ripped off. The BX has them low in the fender.
12V plug - Another gimmick.

None of the upgrades seem worth the $1400 difference. Like you, I wonder why they even have two different options? Industry standard? Well its stupid.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #16  
Does the 1725MB have the quick tach loader? Are they equipped with the DL95 FEL or FL1805?

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #17  
Does NOT come with ssqa loader, the heck not? You'd think that be standard by now. Does the used one have the quick attach bucket?

Well look, you sat on (and I assume tried out) both. Is the new fender joystick and tilting steering wheel worth an extra $2600 for ya? If not, $13,900 ain't terrible for very gently used, but I'd work on the dude a little bit to get it down more, or at least toss in some goodies.

Last edited:
Does NOT come with ssqa loader, the heck not? You'd think that be standard by now. Does the used one have the quick attach bucket?

Well look, you sat on (and I assume tried out) both. Is the new fender joystick and tilting steering wheel worth an extra $2600 for ya? If not, $13,900 ain't terrible for very gently used, but I'd work on the dude a little bit to get it down more, or at least toss in some goodies.

Yea if you look around for these models on the link above they are a large chain dealer and maybe half of them have this quick attach FEL bucket, a $400 option.
As far as the used one it looked fine with some wear but would never consider it compared to the new one at these prices and not knowing what I would have mechanically. He didn't offer many options here including financing.

Last edited:
   / Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #20  
Does not have the quick attach loader bucket and none of them do at this dealer for the units in stock. It is a $400 option.

Looks like the FEL is a DL95 per the pic here, what are the differences?
https://www.boonetractor.com/inventory/?/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/47827473/2019-massey-ferguson-gc1725mb?dlr=1&pcid=3732977&domainid=0&crmid=0
The FL1805 has factory 3rd function availability and comes standard with a quick tach system & bucket. The FL1805 also has a bucket level indicator built into it. Lifting capacities are on par with one another.

Adding a quick tach to your DL95 isn't hard but converting your factory bucket to work with the system takes time, money and a good welder. I did this conversation to my own DL95 already and it's worth it for added versatility alone.