Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #1  

polarred21

Gold Member
Tractor
Contemplating
Here is recent review for these models. Somewhat long and may not be useful to anyone but a non owner like me.

Looks like the biggest complaint was steering and control levers are tight for a big man's comfort.

So for the GC owners, what are your complaints with your units....

Thanks

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #2  
I purchased a GC1705 Hydrostatic drive after using a Kubota B7100 Hydro for 4 years. What I didn't realize it the MF does not have a clutch like my Kubota. I also bought a rotary mower when I engage the PTO for the mower it severely shocks the drive train, not good. So I purchased a universal clutch for the mower to stop breaking shear bolts. I wish I'd given it more thought but I got a great deal so I jumped on it.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #3  
I'm 5' 11" and 280lbs and I don't really find the operator platform of my GC1710 that cramped. Everything the 1723E/1725M offers in terms of changes I think it for the better based on my use of the prior platform. Especially tilt steering and the moved joystick for loader work. If there is one thing I personally wish it has it would be position control on the 3pt. That said JD 1series is the only tractor in that class to offer it so it's really indicative of the subcompact tractors in the marketplace to not have that.

I would buy another MF GC tractor in a heartbeat!

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M
Thanks for the feedback. So you're saying since is it HST and not gear there is no internal clutch to release when you engage the PTO correct? So you installed an external slip clutch on your rotarty mower/bush hog?
So did this help with the issue?

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #5  
From a functional standpoint, the lack of 3PT position control is by far my greatest issue with the 2018 GC1720 I purchased new.

When I was looking at all the tractors and trying to decide, I didn't even think about it. I just assumed that all tractors had settings for 3PT position-every tractor I've ever come across did. Since I figured it was a given, I failed to pay close attention to it. That really bit me in the *** when I was trying to, brush hog, till, and grade an acre of my property. It was next to impossible to repeat lift are heights that gave me the best results-and 3PT float doesn't exist, either. Some operators will say to just hold the 3PT lever down a few seconds with the flow gate all the way open but that doesn't work, at least not for me. I had to make something to hold the lever down or I had to keep my hand pressing down on it to float.

Also, I feel kind of silly when sitting on my tractor. I feel like I'm really high up riding a tiny little tractor like some sort of clown. I get that the reason for this is visibility and our of necessity for the dual position seat to spin around to the backhoe...but knowing that doesn't help me feel like I'm "plugged in" with the machine. Also, the early used model GC I sat on while checking them out had a steering wheel that was a whole inch shorter than the one I received. So complaints about the reach must be framed on the year.

I sat on the newer GC models since the facelift and controls change-up. Personally, I don't think its worth the increase in cost. I actually like that the loader control lever is up and away from me on my older version. Having it close to me like they do now makes me feel stupid...like I'm some sort of jockey or driving a rat rod with some ridiculous shifter. That is my preference.

The tilt wheel doesn't really move much and I found that its normal position was most comfortable for me anyways. This would be nice for a smaller operator, certainly.

The extra storage box and charging port are gimmicks to me. They're just something to rip the wiring off or blow a fuse on when they ground out due to moisture or when washing. Most anyone who gets a tractor for the love of it will modify them to some degree. I think that's natural.

The headlights suck on the earlier generations-absolutely. After a while of use, I noticed one of my bulbs were rattling loosely in the housing so I decided re-install it using this as an opportunity to check the wattage rating on the bulbs because something had to be wrong since they were so useless, otherwise. While trying to take a look, I noticed the bulb retaining ridge that holds the socket into the headlamp housing must have sheared. It just kept spinning in the housing when I tried to remove it. That was frustrating.

I ended up replacing the bulbs with LEDs that were shared on this forum and I honestly couldn't hope for better stock headlights. They are so great, I was able to work past dusk on a field I was grading and tilling with NO other lighting required.

The flat platform is nice. I do find the one on my 2018 model needing to be modified to better suit me. My plan is to cut some stall mats to make it more uniform. I could scallop the mat where the hump goes and have my own flat platform. Its not really a big deal at all.

I would have LOVED to have seen a ROPS improvement for the TLB. Maybe angle lock setup?? Something like that? How about welding some threaded nuts onto the ROPS so we can add our own lighting or accoutrements? Even some THROUGH-HOLES would have been nice-so owners aren't afraid of voiding their warranties because they want to SEE AT NIGHT.

Another improvement would have been to the hydraulics to the backhoe. Why can't there be SOLID QC ports and manifold on the back so we aren't slinging our **** lines up an in some tight service loop that can move and get sliced the heck off when I use my 3PT????

Don't fall for these "improvements". They missed the fricken mark, in my mind. Sure. You might have the $0.50 added power charging port and your jockey handle-but what about more functionality based improvements? Aesthetics is nice, it really is... but why am I still shearing the fins off my HST fan while simply brush hogging new growth??

Last edited:
   / Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #6  
Thanks for the feedback. So you're saying since is it HST and not gear there is no internal clutch to release when you engage the PTO correct? So you installed an external slip clutch on your rotarty mower/bush hog?
So did this help with the issue?

Correct there is no clutch on the hydro. Honestly I have not installed the external clutch but it can not help but to be better. I really like my 1705 and even though I'd call the PTO thing an issue you can live with it. I also have a post hole auger and I do not get the harsh engagement with that piece of equipment.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #7  
Its recommended that you engage your PTO at low engine RPM's and then raise the throttle once engaged to reduce/minimize system shock & #/stress vs engaging with the engine throttle up high.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #8  
I haven't hard very harsh engagement on my Hardee 52LT when the slip clutch was seized solid, either. When I added a new slipper and adjusted it, it engages smooth as silk. I barely feel it on the tractor before throttling up.

There is a clutch. There is a central engagement for supplying power and independent engagements that control either PTO output separately.

Massey_Ferguson_GC1700_Tractor_Service_Manual_pdf.jpg

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #9  
My only complaint on the GC series is the 3 point control lever, while they made a little improvement to its position on the newer models its still very cumbersome especially when using a rear mount snowblower.

I would also like to see more aftermarket available mods and attachments like the Kubota has with bxexpander.

/ Test Drive Massey Ferguson GC1723E/GC1725M #10  
So far my 1705 has done everything I have wanted it to do without issues and what I thought it could not do it has done after all it is a SCUT and not a 3500 - 5500 pound machine, i am new to tractors and the HST is somewhat different then my HST on my Husqvarna lawnmower, it took me awhile to figure out how to really use the HST on the Massey because I thought it was a push and go type drive, the harder or farther you pushed the pedal down the harder it worked but nope there is a system to using the HST type drive on a tractor and now that I have it figured out I am happy with the little guy, it is a go getter in my book.

So now my biggest complaint is like a few other complaints, I really do not like the position on the pto adjustment lever now that I am doing more with the 3 point hitch I find myself grabbing the speed selector rather then the pto adjustment lever when I don稚 look over at it, so there is my biggest problem, now if I could only feed it so it would grow up a bit I would be even happier and the pto adjustment lever would not be a issue with me.

So far I have mowed 5-6 acres several times, moved 12 yards of class 5 gravel with the FEL, also put a Piranha bar on it and cleared a 35 foot by 47 foot area of heavy sumac with no problems for the shop I will be building and I have also pulled a box blade, back blade and a Land Rake with it to groom my 300 foot driveway and clear/level the area for my shop and it has handled them just fine, I also have some bucket mounted forks and moved some pallets around loaded with scrap wood and junk and it handle that just fine, I need to build a rear ballast box for it.

It has a 60 MMM which does a real good job but I now kinda wish I would of went with a finishing 3pt mower and that has more to do with my disability then anything else but then going with a 3pt mower leaves the underside of the tractor open for fan trouble and as of now I am looking for a shield so I can leave the mower off and go back to mowing with my zero turn.

I am satisfied with my 1705 until I get more property then I will upgrade to another Massey if this one keeps on working ok.