Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #21  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

(I have no interest or involvement with promoting a product. I'm just asking.)
Just wear one on the bill of your hat. Easy to see. You can even tell when you are walking around if you are about to fall over. I've never rolled one, and it's hilly here. I have lost traction on the high ground side and just turn down hill and hit the diff lock. None of us have ever rolled one.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #22  
Make sure you have a vertical place to mount it. I ordered on but I have nowhere to mount it. Plus it is also as other say, it depends on the tractor and what you're comfortable with. As I've said in the past, I mow slopes that a lot of others would not be comfortable with, up to 30 degrees. I have filled tires and 2 inch spacers. I've been mowing these slopes for a long time, once you know that your tractor isn't going to tip you eventually get used to it.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #23  
IMO...for those meters etc. (bb in a vial) to be of any real value...you have to actually tip the tractor over and get a reading at the point of no return...!
That way you'll know how far NOT to take it again...!

The best way to avoid tipping is to keep the center of gravity as low as possible...a backhoe raises the COG...

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #24  
I pretty much concur with others. The meter will be next to useless.

A meter will only give you a static reading. But things are dynamic. Movement, inertia, speed, etc. Traversing a slope at 20 degrees and hit a rock that sends it to 25 degrees on the meter.....whether you go over or not has little to do with the fact that its 25 degrees, but how fast you are going.

Just to appease myself....I sometimes take out my phone with level ap to see what kind of angles I am on. "seat of the pants" pucker factor is about 25 degrees for me. At that angle.....it feels like a wrong move or a unseen variable (like small hole on downhill side or rock on uphill side) would send the tractor over. But to get off and actually look at the machine or the slope (or even take a floor jack in the shop and jack one side up to 25 degrees) makes it look like it isnt even close to danger area.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #25  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

(I have no interest or involvement with promoting a product. I'm just asking.)

Wheel spacers often help more than just a tip meter. Widen the tractor stance by 4-inches max on each side. Then try that hill once again. It would be a huge difference and helps remove those butterflies in your stomach wanting to jump out your throat.

As for that meter, it works better on attachments to see how close the 3PT is set to horizontal before hearing out to till, mow or bail.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #26  
I think a meter like that would bring some honesty back into the discussion by folks that claim to traverse steep slopes. All slopes look and feel steeper than they are. ;)

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #27  
My own pucker-factor theory is that our brains constantly sense the lateral angular tractor acceleration caused by driving over the bumps we encounter when driving ALONG an incline:

If the incline is slight, the tractor bounces over the bump quickly. If the incline is dangerous, the tractor teeters somewhat during the same bump. Our brains automatically process these different frequency responses and send signals to our **** accordingly.

As a corollary to this theory, driving along a perfectly smooth incline would reduce our sensitivity, leaving us with just an awkward seat position as a guide.

Last edited:
   / Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #28  
Like I said in another comment, I could not use this type of meter because I have not vertical surface to mount it on.

I purchased one of these for use on another project,

It has a magnetic base and I put it on my hood one day while I was mowing. It order to get a measurement I had to shut down the tractor at various spots because it's too sensitive and the vibration on the running tractor caused it to bounce the measurement around. I was not concerned with tipping but I was really interested in knowing what the angle is because I know that it's difficult for most people to estimate angles.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #29  
Another thing, when traversing a slope, always be conscious of turning down hill and applying the uphill wheel break at the same time to limit any tipping action. Don't just "ride it out" to see what might happen.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #30  
I have had the same inclometer on my last 2 tractors. They are interesting to get an initial idea of the slope, but I agree that they can certainly be more of a liability than a benefit in actual use. There are just too many variables and conditions that can make an otherwise safe slope unsafe.

I am very conservative on slopes, and generally avoid anything over 15 degrees or so. I do push a little further on my zero turns to 20-25 degrees.