Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,142  
When I was a car dealer gopher mostly washing and gasing cars or bringing out keys to those looking there were times the owner sent me on a bank run to Bank of America.

16 years old and thousands in cash with a deposit slip in my button shirt pocket.

Maybe thought a kid would be the last person carrying cash?

This is when I saw $500 and $1000 bills...
When I was working at Dairy Queen in the mid 70s each night around 10:00pm, the owner would take the deposit envelope, hop on a stingray bicycle, and ride about 10 blocks to the bank and drop it in the night deposit. This was not a good neighborhood. We all knew that. He did too. Yet in the 20-30 years that owned that DQ he never got mugged, and the DQ never got robbed. Remarkable.

That's the same DQ where I was held at gunpoint in the parking lot when I was 16 before I got a job there.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,143  
Similar experience I worked at a local K-Mart when I was 18 at Christmas. The manager had me go to each register with a shopping cart putting money in cardboard boxes to deposit at the bank in my car.
I'm sure the manager thought what thief could imagine robbing a kid in jeans and t shirt driving a '66 Rambler!
I was in charge of keeping the toy isles stocked...my discretion. So I put out a bunch of model car kits. Not knowing the price I asked at the office. A lady blew the dust off of a big book..."$1.65" she said ()...so I sticker priced them. A kid bought one. That same kid comes back later with an army of kids saying "see...I told ya". In minutes the shelves were cleaned out.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,144  
I remember towards the end of the season on the farm we would start to get cheques from the shippers for fruit delivered that summer.
I would take them to the bank for deposit and take what was needed in cash.
The one time, about 30 years ago, I took $12500 cash. $50 and mostly $100s.
I had to wait about 15-20 minutes for the money to be brought up from the vault.
The cashier was concerned about me carrying that much cash as I folded it and put it in the top pocket of my denim shirt.
Back then it would have taken a brave robber to try. Just under 6', 200lb of ripped farmer built like a bulldozer. Friends of mine used to laugh saying when I walked through a crowd it was like Moses parting the sea. I used to be able to intimidate with just a look. I was threatened with a beating numerous times but the combatants never had the testicular fortitude to follow through with their threats.:LOL:
Ah, what used to be.
Now if you want more than $3k you have to call the bank 3 days ahead and give them a reason why you need that much.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,145  
Yeah, but how long to get that bridge replaced? Jon
I've heard both "months" and "years" on the news, but I'd think it'd have to be something like 12 - 24 months, based on other similar bridge replacements in recent history.

Moreover, our President had a press conference yesterday stating roughly "we are committed to replacing this bridge at the expense of the Federal government." If done purely for expedience, I can understand that, get the damn thing built now and sort the dollars later. But I'd think that eventually the insurer of that boat would be on the hook for this?

I'd be scared it was fake today. Biggest I handle are C notes and even those cause me alarm.
I think this is why we see less bills over $100 now. Between the ease of forgery with modern available tech, and the comparative ease and security of electronic transactions, how many are still using cash for purchases so large that a stack of $100's is not going to work?

You can pretty easily carry $10k - $20k in c-notes. I'm not sure I want to be in a business where I'm making or accepting payments larger than that, with cash.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,146  
I've heard both "months" and "years" on the news, but I'd think it'd have to be something like 12 - 24 months, based on other similar bridge replacements in recent history.

Moreover, our President had a press conference yesterday stating roughly "we are committed to replacing this bridge at the expense of the Federal government." If done purely for expedience, I can understand that, get the damn thing built now and sort the dollars later. But I'd think that eventually the insurer of that boat would be on the hook for this?

I think this is why we see less bills over $100 now. Between the ease of forgery with modern available tech, and the comparative ease and security of electronic transactions, how many are still using cash for purchases so large that a stack of $100's is not going to work?

You can pretty easily carry $10k - $20k in c-notes. I'm not sure I want to be in a business where I'm making or accepting payments larger than that, with cash.
The reason you see less bills over $100 now is that they stopped printing them in 1969 per Nixon, as I recall.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,147  
The reason you see less bills over $100 now is that they stopped printing them in 1969 per Nixon, as I recall.
Yep. But that's "when" and "who", more than "why"! :p

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,149  
The "why" is any bill that's over $100 and still in circulation is most likely in the hands of a collector.
You're saying Nixon stopped the printing of $100 bills in 1969, solely to benefit collectors? :p

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,150  
I was stationed on a mountain top in Korea in 1982. We got two arcade type video games. The officer in charge set them up to be free. He said it was much easier to just make them free, rather that try to comply with all the Air Force regulations on handling the money from them. One of his favorite says was "Funds, guns, and classified are the three things that can end your career"

On a similar note. Our remote site had a library. Before I got there, there was a local hired to be the librarian for $10,000 a year. Someone figured out that we wouldn't be losing/stealing that amount in books per year, so it was cheaper to not have a librarian.

Doug in SW IA