Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,871  
I'm glad this has finally been solved.

I always thought the chicken came first because I ate the eggs and not the chickens.
We know the egg had to come first. The chicken came out of an egg, it wasn't live-birthed.

As to what laid that egg, I don't know, obviously some close evolutionary cousin of the chicken.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,872  
I've seen a few microwave towers converted to cell towers, however, most of them are now abandoned around here.
You are spot on…

I looked it up and it’s now on the cell side of things…
30325137305_caa4a9819e_c.jpg

AT&T Echo Summit Tower

This facility was once used by AT&T as a microwave relay station for long distance communications. Its line of sight transmission routes were Topaz Lake (Nevada), Union Hill and South Lake Tahoe. (www.thecentraloffice.com/Microwave/1978/Norcalecho.htm). The elevated structure to the right was known as the upper tram house. "When the station was built, a self-propelled cable tram was also built for year-around access."​

At present, the American Tower Corporation owns the tower and facility, which now services the cellular phone industry​

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,873  
Getting back to Native Americans and horses I talked with my brother today about it. A lot I'm sure everyone here knew except what John Lame Deer said was factual.
My brother is 75, PhD Geology, taught at George Mason before starting a business (radon remediation and environmental work), an avid mineral, fossil, artifact collector. Always since a kid interested in Geology & Anthropology.
Horses have gone through five evolutions starting with Hyracotherium 50 million years ago, very small. Here's good credible information:
American Museum of Natural History
American Museum of Natural History | New York City › horse › th...
Like many animals they went extinct for a while and over time increased in size.
Internet "research" says "The first horses to return to the main continent were 16 specifically identified horses brought by Hernán Cortés in 1519. Subsequent explorers, such as Coronado and De Soto brought ever-larger numbers, some from Spain and others from breeding establishments set up by the Spanish in the Caribbean".
The bottom line is certainly there were horses here before Cortes and there are dated cave drawings as proof.
I get the gist of what John was saying (John Deer that is ).

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,874  
The bottom line is certainly there were horses here before Cortes and there are dated cave drawings as proof.
I get the gist of what John was saying (John Deer that is ).
I'm not following you, Fuddy. No one disagreed on there being horses here, more than 10,000 years ago. It's well documented there were. The issue had to do with the claim that Souix and other Indian tribes were gifting them to each other in the years prior to Europeans arriving, as it's been written in my sources that there were no horses here at that time. Are you claiming there were horses being ridden by Native Americans in 1518, or within the modern history of any Native American tribe, prior to the arrival of Cortes?

Horses being here from 25,000 years ago to 10,000 years ago, prior to going extinct on this continent, is not disputed. But there's no way John Deer was recalling that from the memory or history of the Souix tribe.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,875  
First, assume a spherical horse... Then microwave it!
;)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,876  
I get the gist of what John was saying (John Deer that is
emoji38.png
I am starting to, also. Just as many here feel that everything was better 50 years ago, he remembers a time which didn't exist.

No wealth? Is he saying that everybody had the same, that the best hunters, the man with the most dogs or horses, wasn't revered?

No written laws meant that nobody could cheat or swindle... I couldn't even READ that with a straight face.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,877  
We believe Natives had horses before Cortes. I assume that's what you mean.
Certainly Cortes and arrival of horses from Europe brought new breeds and that's going on today.
My wife & I have horses now and when we met 52 years ago. Today she makes contributions to rescues and lobbies and there are endangered breeds today, even some near extinction.
Of course John Deer wasn't alive in 1518 but I get the gist of what he's saying. In America pre-Cortes I believe there were horses. They may have been pony sized.
Hope this answers your question.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,878  
I am starting to, also. Just as many here feel that everything was better 50 years ago, he remembers a time which didn't exist.

No wealth? Is he saying that everybody had the same, that the best hunters, the man with the most dogs or horses, wasn't revered?

No written laws meant that nobody could cheat or swindle... I couldn't even READ that with a straight face.
That's another topic altogether. My thought is a "bad native" back then if a troublemaker the tribe would make leave the tribe.
A lot of things common to white man like greed, envy, wealth, etc. weren't in their nature. Not saying their society was perfect or I'd want living like that, just different, just like my Native father in law was very different than my Anglo father.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,879  
My wife & I are close to same age & raised 15 miles apart. We went to different schools.
Ironically in grade school I was taught Columbus discovered America in 1492 and raised my hand saying "but weren't the Indians already here?" which started an argument with teacher who sent me to Principle's office.
Same exact thing happened to my wife. With her the Principle called for a parent to get her. Her Cherokee Dad shows up explaining his people were here thousands of years before Columbus.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,880  
The horse debate has brought back a memory or misremembering that I've had for a long time. Back around 1957 when I was in first grade, I remember the teacher telling us about a population of tiny horses being found in the Grand Canyon. Do any of you other old guys remember such a discovery?