Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,742  
has anyone seen Nikola Tesla one way valve ? if that’s not genius I don’t know what is

Without seriously derailing the thread, I'll just note that this device breaks one of the fundamental rules of 2-port passive isotropic networks (reciprocity / diagonal scattering matrix), so I got curious and did a little digging. It appears this can be made to work, but at a ratio of only 2:1 in flow velocity (fwd:rev), not Tesla's claimed 200:1 theoretical. Although I wonder if the person who "proved" that really considered fluids of different viscosities, or even pressure-sensitive fluids.

Still cool, either way. I'm actually going to make some time to play with this idea, next time I have a break between projects, I can think of one potential use for it in my line of work.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,746  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,748  
The first Boy Scout troop in the United States was started in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, in 1909.

Wow, they grew quick. My great-grandfather and grandfather were big into Scouts in the 1920's, as Scout master and child, respectively. I had always assumed my great-grandfather grew up in Scouts, but I guess not if they weren't started until 1909, as he'd have been aged out before then.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,749  
This is how suppressors (aka "silencers") work on firearms.
Interesting. I didn't know that, but it seems to make sense.

Side note, I did take an hour to build a structure and simulate it last night, stripline construction DC to 20 GHz. I'm sad to say the Gods of Physics held true, you cannot have a 2-port passive isotropic network that is not reciprocal, meaning insertion loss forward must be same as reverse. So, at least for this application, it's not useful.

That said, insertion of a ferrite or any anisotropic material would make it work just fine. Unfortunately, just like the guys who decided a simple check valve is way simpler, cheaper, smaller, and less lossy, all the same holds for a circulator type isolator over this, in radio and microwave frequency applications.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,750  
1709738104427.png